Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 12:20:38 PM

Login with username, password and session length

How do you pronounce 'nougat'?

Started by Corduroy Castle, April 27, 2021, 07:14:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
Kid in shop is saying it like "nugget"? Got any nugget, my liege, he says.

Me and the auld fucker at the counter are saying "noo-garrrr", the French way.

Some old ingredient of death by the mars bars ice creams is claiming "noghurt"

Glebe

chveik

Cuellar

Alberon

pigamus

Quote from: Corduroy Castle on April 27, 2021, 07:14:19 PM
Kid in shop is saying it like "nugget"? Got any nugget, my liege, he says.

Me and the auld fucker at the counter are saying "noo-garrrr", the French way.

Some old ingredient of death by the mars bars ice creams is claiming "noghurt"

That last line is poetry and I salute it

Johnny Yesno

Tony Tony Tony

Anyone who says "noo gar" is coming over all French.

Next thing they'll be doing a number 2 in the shower and poking it down the plug hole with their toe just like them Frenchies do.

TrenterPercenter

You don't pronounce nougat you idiots.  You eat it.

touchingcloth

The most shared tweet of all time was a kid asking McDonald's for ten billion free nougz. Kids.

Video Game Fan 2000

This is one where I can't hide the glottal stop. Noug'r.

Inspector Norse

canadagoose

Noo-gah for me, but my parents say nugget, I think.

wosl

kittens

the stuff in a mars bar is it. just say mars bar stuff.  i haven't had a mars bar in years as i am not an infant. unless you are in the confectionary trade there is no reason to be talking about this stuff, and even then you can just say mars bar stuff. eliminate this pointless word from our vocabulary.

touchingcloth

It's one of those words you can't spell / words that haven't spellings. And the way it's made is a mystery to this day.

jamiefairlie

Nobody says 'noogah' in the context of nougat wafer though....mmmmm....nougat wafers....with Equi's ice cream....

touchingcloth

I know that nougat is the name for the thing that goes into Mars bars, but I remember the sweet aisles at the supermarkets used to have white and pink bars filled with crushed nuts which were also labelled as nougat. I never tried one, but they seemed harder than Mars nougat...is it the same stuff, bar the consistency and presence of nuts?

gib

started life as a pier based snack apparently. The largest nougat ever produced was displayed on a reinforced carriage on the Southend pier railway but had to go when they reduced the gauge to 3ft.

Buelligan

UK nougat is hateful shite, do not eat it, the equivalent of American chocolate if I'm honest.

Sherringford Hovis

Nuggan (as in "An abomination unto...")

Johnny Yesno

Quote from: touchingcloth on April 27, 2021, 10:08:40 PM
I know that nougat is the name for the thing that goes into Mars bars, but I remember the sweet aisles at the supermarkets used to have white and pink bars filled with crushed nuts which were also labelled as nougat. I never tried one, but they seemed harder than Mars nougat...is it the same stuff, bar the consistency and presence of nuts?

No, what you're talking about is proper nougat. Mars Bar Stuff is different and a lie. In fact, the proper word for Mars Bar Stuff is nougat pronounced noooooogar because that pronunciation is also a lie.

mothman

Thanks to Snackmasters tonight, I know that the secret ingredient which goes into the nougat in Snickers to make it slightly darker than normal white nougat is...
Spoiler alert
ground up Snickers
[close]

flotemysost

Quote from: mothman on April 28, 2021, 12:25:20 AM
Thanks to Snackmasters tonight, I know that the secret ingredient which goes into the nougat in Snickers to make it slightly darker than normal white nougat is...
Spoiler alert
ground up Snickers
[close]

Isn't that basically how mad cow disease started?

Video Game Fan 2000

Quote from: mothman on April 28, 2021, 12:25:20 AM
Spoiler alert
ground up Snickers
[close]

Does this mean that at some point someone is going to invent time travel to give the original Marathon manufacturers as Snickers because there is no other way this could possibly work.

Snickers is its own grandpaw

Video Game Fan 2000

The only chocolate bar with a fucking plot hole.

mothman

They did ask (like the chicken and the egg) "which came first?" but the staff appeared reluctant to answer.