Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 08:46:34 PM

Login with username, password and session length

How do you pronounce 'nougat'?

Started by Corduroy Castle, April 27, 2021, 07:14:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jamiefairlie

Proper nougat is this stuff, wrapped in see-through cellophane.

touchingcloth

Quote from: Johnny Yesno on April 28, 2021, 12:22:27 AM
No, what you're talking about is proper nougat. Mars Bar Stuff is different and a lie. In fact, the proper word for Mars Bar Stuff is nougat pronounced noooooogar because that pronunciation is also a lie.

How's the proper stuff pronounced? Nugget? And which type is everyone talking about in this thread? It'll be gold nuggets I bet.

Quote from: jamiefairlie on April 28, 2021, 01:36:51 AM

This is correct and it's pronounced noo-gar.

Inspector Norse

You're talking bollocks, anyone can see that's Swiss cheese

Paul Calf

It's 'noo-gar'. ITV families pronounce it 'nugget'.

Quote from: Buelligan on April 27, 2021, 11:55:34 PM
UK nougat is hateful shite, do not eat it, the equivalent of American chocolate if I'm honest.

I approve this message.

Pink Gregory

RetroRobot

Johnny Yesno

Quote from: Better Midlands on April 28, 2021, 07:29:38 AM

This is correct and it's pronounced noo-gar.

No, it's pronounced nugget, you ponce.

Quote from: Johnny Yesno on April 28, 2021, 10:48:08 AM
No, it's pronounced nugget, you ponce.

I've just been through several YouTube pronunciation videos and it turns out you're right, I am ponce and have been saying it the French way (it's not even a native French confection).

It reminded me that I saw this Great British dairy product the other day and and am now not sure how to pronounce it.

poodlefaker

There was a Marathon advert in the 80s where it was pronounced nugget, although the voiceover guy was Northern Irish, iirc. "Dere's nuts n nugget in a Maraton bar".

Nobody said Nez-lay in those days either, Milky Bars were made by Nessuls.

Johnny Yesno

Quote from: Better Midlands on April 28, 2021, 11:43:26 AM

I've just been through several YouTube pronunciation videos and it turns out you're right, I am ponce and have been saying it the French way (it's not even a native French confection).

Chambourcy! I have to admit I didn't know that.

QuoteIt reminded me that I saw this Great British dairy product the other day and and am now not sure how to pronounce it.

Oh no! The only way my brain can see of resolving the cognitive dissonance here is to go on a shooting spree. Thankfully, I only have a water pistol. Makes you think, though.

Ornlu

The same way Nick Mullen would pronounce it

KennyMonster

Is it the creeping influence of America that kids these days talk about MarZEEpan and not good-old-are-brave-boys-BRITISH MarZEDpan?

seepage

Norton Canes

KennyMonster

Quote from: seepage on April 28, 2021, 02:36:42 PM
Eh? Where does the D come from?

it is called the letter Zed, not the letter Zee, we are not Trump's 51st state just yet sonny-Jim.

Therefore anyone who calls the almondy stuff in Battenburg[nb]Also Lord Mount-Battenburg got blown to bits by the IRA so this is a very patriotic issue indeed.[/nb] cakes marZeepan is a dirty rotten yank trying to sleep with our women whilst are brave boys are out there fighting Hitler.[nb]According to Danny Baker, the name for the symbol "Z" is actually called an "Izzard".[/nb]

gib

dissolute ocelot

Quote from: Better Midlands on April 28, 2021, 11:43:26 AM

It reminded me that I saw this Great British dairy product the other day and and am now not sure how to pronounce it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jylnLk5u_Co

seepage

Quote from: KennyMonster on April 28, 2021, 02:50:39 PM
it is called the letter Zed, not the letter Zee, we are not Trump's 51st state just yet sonny-Jim.

Thanks for explaining. I think I'll just pronounce it "marchpane" instead.

Sebastian Cobb

Why did you cut the pink half off?

Sebastian Cobb

Janie Jones

Quote from: Corduroy Castle on April 27, 2021, 07:14:19 PM
Kid in shop is saying it like "nugget"? Got any nugget, my liege, he says.

Me and the auld fucker at the counter are saying "noo-garrrr", the French way.

Some old ingredient of death by the mars bars ice creams is claiming "noghurt"

Whose sock are you? Or are you an old poster? I have a massive crush on you. Oh dear, are you Danger Man?

Johnny Yesno

Johnny Yesno

chveik

Quote from: Janie Jones on April 28, 2021, 05:18:50 PM
Whose sock are you? Or are you an old poster? I have a massive crush on you. Oh dear, are you Danger Man?

greg torso i reckon

Janie Jones

Good call. Either way, a sincere compliment to both of them.

greencalx