Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 09:16:16 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Once Upon A Time In The West

Started by Chedney Honks, April 27, 2021, 10:10:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chedney Honks

That's it for me.

That's the greatest film I've ever seen and the greatest soundtrack I've ever been so lucky to hear.

I got nothing more to say. I'm just so happy.

I'll be seeing you.

Lots of love.

🤠🤠🤠

zomgmouse

I've seen this film about five times on 35mm in the cinema and it used to be my #1 absolute best expression of cinema ever; probably wouldn't quite call it that anymore but I have a very special place for it.

DrGreggles

Great film.
Got to see it on the big screen a couple of years ago when it was shown for its 50th(?) anniversary.
The sound is amazing in the cinema.

petercussing

Yeah, it's totes great and probably Bronson's joint best actually good acting performance. As with much of Leone's stuff the opening scene is super good and the script is by Argento so that will hopefully push you to watch his crazy filmz(tm).

You can watch this too, which isn't nearly as good but i like lots, or you'll need to do the titular, which is a violence threat https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Duck,_You_Sucker!  If you like bad accented irish dynamite men with obscure, haunting pasts and revolutions then this is the cowguy film for you. It's part of the trilogy with that and pOnce Upon a Time in the U S of A, which from memory was entirely about kids getting it on.

And watch keoma and see Franco nero have the shift kicked out of him for ages (Don't go on, it's mad to try, Keoma, like the music yells at you), or watch Django and see him be an antihero cunt to a lady and have a coffin gun. Do my bidding, i insist!

Custard

It's incredible, so well made. Probably the finest western, though I've never quite decided if it's this or The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly. Both are 5 star masterpiece jobs for me

Dusty Substance

Went through all of Leone's films about ten years ago. Absolutely LOVED the three Clint/Man With No Name trilogy, and thought Duck You Sucker was great but not as good as the three Eastwood films.

Once Upon A Time In The West was very pretty and the music is undeniably incredible, but I found the film itself to be a little too boring to enjoy. Based on all the praise on this thread, I'll have to give it another try.

It'll take a LOT to convince me to watch Once Upon A Time In America again. That was a stale and tedious experience.

mothman

I just found it incredibly long and tedious and overly focussed on the characters I wasn't interested in. And very impressed with itself for having Henry Fonda - the Tom Hanks of his day - playing a baddie at all, never mind such a viciously amoral one.

At times it's like a whole movie's worth of those pointless deleted scenes they restored to The Good The Bad and The Ugly, the ones where it sounds like Eli Wallach re-recorded his dialogue in his downstairs toilet.

But I dunno, maybe I need to give it another go...

petercussing

Hey, i've heard this opinion about it from a fair few so you aren't alone, I just dig the tone of it and it being all pretty as much as anything, my main mans.

It's Alex Cox's fav western along with Keoma and he's an Italian Western-spurt who done a book about them and everything, but he doesn't like Duck you sucker, so i punch him in my mind, too.

Quote from: Dusty Substance on April 28, 2021, 08:16:54 PM

It'll take a LOT to convince me to watch Once Upon A Time In America again. That was a stale and tedious experience.

You don't like films where kids get it on??????!!?!?! :o   :o :o :o

Anyway, watch lots of Italian films from the late 60s/70s/early 80s and you'll get many a jamming sound tracks x 1000000, so do that thing, Cheds.

zomgmouse

Quote from: petercussing on April 28, 2021, 01:28:54 PM
the script is by Argento

I believe the full credit is Leone, Argento & Bertolucci, and it's a "from a story by" - actual script was written by Leone with Sergio Donati

kalowski

Leone originally wanted Eastwood, Van Cleef and Wallach to be the three gunmen who met Bronson at the station.

kalowski

PS. I think it is an incredible film. Utterly love it.

petercussing

Quote from: zomgmouse on April 29, 2021, 02:15:06 AM
I believe the full credit is Leone, Argento & Bertolucci, and it's a "from a story by" - actual script was written by Leone with Sergio Donati

My main man, i'm gonna need you to step in line with my plan of getting Chedley King to watch at least Phenomena, Deep Red and Susperia and to step off with telling the truth here, it's ruinsing it. Can you pretend you are a lying king of lies, pls? Be all, "haha, i can't believe i done that lie, and you all fell for it, everyone even fell for it retrospectively, right back to when the film was made".

mothman

Was just looking at the list of films shown on Moviedrome because I was trying to remember which westerns I might have seen there for the first time. The only one I can be sure of is The Big Silence. But my god, what a run of films there was on that series. It's as responsible as anything for making me a film fan, as much as I am.

http://www.kurtodrome.net/moviedrome.htm

petercussing

I was thinking about how great the Moviedromes was today, weirdly. Likewise, it was such a good gateway to so many films i wouldn't have watched, but Cox was a bit bummed that from about 91, i think, onwards he started having less control over what films were shown, which is one of the reasons he left. Still had some great films, though.

I was thinking specifically how cozy the starts with his intros seemed even for the most horrifying pics, and how interesting they made the films seem.

mothman

And, frankly, Cousins was nowhere near as good. In fact he was shite.

NoSleep

Bronson is absolutely shit at miming the harmonica. Aside from that, brilliant film.

zomgmouse

Quote from: petercussing on April 30, 2021, 06:05:25 PM
My main man, i'm gonna need you to step in line with my plan of getting Chedley King to watch at least Phenomena, Deep Red and Susperia and to step off with telling the truth here, it's ruinsing it. Can you pretend you are a lying king of lies, pls? Be all, "haha, i can't believe i done that lie, and you all fell for it, everyone even fell for it retrospectively, right back to when the film was made".

Chomley Brom - you need to watch Suspiria because it was directed by Dario Argento who played every role in Once Upon a Time in the West and also was all the crew.

But also mainly because it's really fucking amazing.

Chedney Honks

Mad that I never started one of my one-page threads about Suspiria (1977) but it was the first Argento I ever saw, about four months ago or something. I absolutely loved it and subsequently picked up Deep Red, Phenomena, Crystal Plumage and Tenebrae. Also DEMONS.

Please rest well in the knowledge that I have taken these excellent recommendations on board and if I ever return to this forum full time I will start a proper one-page thread on Argento.

I got the Cult Films BD of Suspiria and it was fantastic. Then I upgraded it to the 4K Synapse release after a bit of obsessive research, imported from the States. Probably one of the best looking things I've ever seen. Watched it a few times since, gawping at the colours, and going 'gah gah gah' along with the amazing music. I would probably say it's my favourite horror film.

I've also since watched OUATITW again and it's only richer second time around. I showed it to my wife and she also loved it, especially the music and the craggy faces. I absolutely love it so much. The moment when Jill arrives at the station and the camera rises as the music swells with the promise and majesty of the free world. It's one of the greatest moments in cinema to me. I look forward to watching it again and again and one last time on my death bed.

Checking out for a while because we're moving but catch you round, I've loved the movie chat this past six months. Keep on watching some great movies, my friends.