Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 02:05:31 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Featherweight (TW: booze)

Started by flotemysost, April 27, 2021, 11:03:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

flotemysost

Have you ever hit a point/had a phase where your tolerance for alcohol rapidly decreases?

I've had a handful of instances over the past 3-4 years where occasionally, even a relatively small amount of booze (like, 5-6 pints maybe) has completely knocked me sideways. As in, falling over, slurring, falling asleep on tables, sending text messages full of total, unintentionally hilarious gibberish. It's concerning, my friends are worried about me, and I can't figure out for the life of me why it happens sometimes, only sometimes. I've had plenty of other times where I've consumed way more drink, and/or other substances, and not been that way - like, inebriated to a degree for sure, but still capable of making sense and acting in a relatively coherent way.

I'm not on any medication and I can't think of anything else that could be interfering chemically. I mean, everyone's tolerance goes up and down over time, and I'm sure being in lockdown hasn't helped with that, but this was happening for me pre-2020. And not eating enough/drinking enough water might be responsible to a point, but then again it's definitely happened in the past after going for a big meal, so lining my stomach isn't always the answer.

I suspect it's to do with mindset - I mean, alcohol is a depressant, so if you're already feeling low or stressed, perhaps without even realising it, then it stands to reason that aiding that chemically might send you off a cliff edge a bit. I don't think I have a drink problem per se, never felt addicted to or reliant on drinking (and I grew up around alcoholism so it's something I'm very aware of keeping an eye on), but it's worrying to think I might not be able to handle what I'd normally consider a fairly standard evening out, or more pertinently, that I might become a dick/liability/bore/pain in the arse to those around me, and it's certainly doing nothing for my own self worth either.

Anyone else had this? Do I just need to lay off the sauce for a bit and have a nice kombucha?

bgmnts

Always been a featherweight, so I mostly stick to spirits because they are expensive and you nurse them for much longer.

If I ever go out again, I'm confident I'd be perfectly fine.

flotemysost

That's a good point actually, I suspect it's partly the social crutch element of "always needing a drink in your hand" when out in certain situations. Which in itself is ridiculous, as I know I can be confident and relaxed around people completely sober. It's just interesting (and a little worrying) that your mindset can affect the type of drunk you get, seemingly as much or even more than the amount/type of booze you consume.

I suppose I've answered my own question really, but wondered if anyone else has experienced this (as in, seemingly illogical "err, how the fuck did I end up in that state?" situations).

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Drinking on an empty stomach, perhaps?

Paul Calf

Are you a heavy drinker? Sudden, dramatic drops in tolerance in heavy drinkers can indicate liver function impairment.

It's also possible that you're drinking stronger booze on some occasions.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on April 28, 2021, 06:36:00 AM
Drinking on an empty stomach, perhaps?
Quote from: bgmnts on April 27, 2021, 11:22:17 PM
Always been a featherweight, so I mostly stick to spirits because they are expensive and you nurse them for much longer.

If I ever go out again, I'm confident I'd be perfectly fine.

you may as well be nursing a canister of turpentine.

bgmnts

Quote from: BlodwynPig on April 28, 2021, 08:02:41 AM
you may as well be nursing a canister of turpentine.

Surely one or two whiskeys is better than several pints?

Johnny Yesno

Quote from: bgmnts on April 28, 2021, 08:05:46 AM
Surely one or two whiskeys is better than several pints?

Yes, several pints of whisky in one session wouldn't be healthy.

JaDanketies

Quote from: Paul Calf on April 28, 2021, 07:15:27 AM
Are you a heavy drinker? Sudden, dramatic drops in tolerance in heavy drinkers can indicate liver function impairment.

It's also possible that you're drinking stronger booze on some occasions.

Was gonna say. If you're an alcoholic then this is a sign that you're starting to get in some serious trouble and need to give it up.

Rizla

Mate. Never hurts to knock it on the head for a bit. I stopped in feb cos my liver had gone itchy and I was starting to look like Alan Brazil.

Johnny Yesno

I shouldn't be encouraging you but I am quite impressed that you think 5-6 pints is 'a relatively small amount of booze', flote.

Sebastian Cobb

Tiredness and whether you've eaten mostly. One of my mates who could drink monstrously worked random long shifts and sometimes as little as 4 pints would be enough to give him legs like snapped candles.

It's just the yin to the 'ghost hangover' yang.

Buelligan

Quote from: Rizla on April 28, 2021, 12:18:49 PM
Mate. Never hurts to knock it on the head for a bit. I stopped in feb cos my liver had gone itchy and I was starting to look like Alan Brazil.

Keep it up, old darling.  I've said it many times but gave up forever, couple of years ago now, I never feel like my legs are snapped candles, never wake with the black dog of self hate sat heavy and panting its stinking breath on my heart.  Wake feeling rosy and fresh as a babe.  Saves me money, keeps me strong, mind and body.  One of the sanest choices I ever made and I've made some crackers.

Drinking, especially in cultures where drinking in quantity is applauded - imagine doing that to people with food, who, maybe had eating disorders - drinking has small upsides, I say that as a person who really appreciates whiskey and wine, and truly abysmal destructive downsides.  It's an obvious decision.

Quote from: Johnny Yesno on April 28, 2021, 12:23:43 PM
I shouldn't be encouraging you but I am quite impressed that you think 5-6 pints is 'a relatively small amount of booze', flote.

Yes, surely that's as a pretty substantial breakfast in anyone's book

The Crumb

People have already covered a lot of possible reasons, I'd also suggest pacing might have been a cause. If you're drinking faster than you can acclimatise, it really throws you off when it hits you.

Sebastian Cobb

I've accidentally got twatted on some of my double-strength homebrew but I think the maths backs up why. Drink 5 of them and less water and you're going to have a time.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Quote from: Johnny Yesno on April 28, 2021, 12:23:43 PM

It's a relatively small amount to have the effect to 'knock someone sideways', if that someone is a regular drinker*. Which is I think the point being made.

*Obviously while accepting for natural variation from person to person, height, weight, etc.

GMTV

When I've lost a lot of weight I've found myself like that for a while. Then my body seems to recalibrate and its not so bad, either that or I've piled the weight back on again.

Ham Bap

What age are you?

Ive found getting older my tolerance level has reduced by a lot. 41 now. When i drink now what I used to drink 5-10 years ago im more or less trollied. With lockdown and drinking more ive been blackout drunk a handful of times in the past year. In the 20 years before this i was probably totally blackout drunk maybe once or twice.

If i meet up with friends now, who have maintained their level of drinking throughout the years, I cant keep up with them and am hammered even with a couple of drinks, as they're able to fire them down them at a professional level and im taking gulps to keep up.

I used to be able to drink all day, and all night. Can after can, pint after pint, loads of vodka whatever. Just cant do it anymore.
6 pints for me now in a pub, especially in rounds drinking as fast as my friends do, im well gone.

Fr.Bigley

Found over the lockdown that I can drink FAR more than I previously thought possible. Like nothing, eight pints of premium strength beer, two or three 8% ciders and a half bottle of wine/full one......sometimes daily for a good month. That's when I realised I needed to slow right the fuck down. If I touched that amount right now I reckon I'd be out cold. I also got the Itch too which was a worry. Gave a lot of bad habits up recently, feel better for it.   

TrenterPercenter

Quote from: flotemysost on April 27, 2021, 11:03:15 PM
Have you ever hit a point/had a phase where your tolerance for alcohol rapidly decreases?

I've had a handful of instances over the past 3-4 years where occasionally, even a relatively small amount of booze (like, 5-6 pints maybe) has completely knocked me sideways.

Hehe this makes me feel better 5-6 is what I consider a small amount; I've just lit the torch paper at that point.

However on a serious note and (quite obviously) how quickly you consume the drinks plays a massive factor; I remember working it all out once but basically there is certain amount of alcohol your liver can process at any given time and beyond that it starts accumulating in your body.  This is why all these .1-.9% decimals of booze really do make a difference as over a few drinks you are effectively creating a nice little alcohol reservoir in your body to get smashed on %ABV + Time is the real key here; it's why having a pint of water in-between drinks isn't about diluting the booze but gives you more time to process more alcohol before the next pint.

seepage

Just realised 5 pints of 5% beer = 1½ bottles of 12.5% wine! So not exactly a small amount.

Fr.Bigley

Alcohol by VOLUME...not really as simple as you made it out.

TrenterPercenter

Quote from: seepage on April 28, 2021, 01:57:31 PM
Just realised 5 pints of 5% beer = 1½ bottles of 12.5% wine! So not exactly a small amount.

Yes but 5 pints at a moderate pace say a pint every 45mins is 3:45 hours whereas you'd spank a bottle and a half of wine in less than 2.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Fr.Bigley on April 28, 2021, 02:02:26 PM

I reckon my homebrew is around 7% which puts it at around half the strength of a wine. So I reckon 3 500ml bottles (half strength, double volume) is roughly speaking a bottle. That right?

Fr.Bigley

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on April 28, 2021, 02:06:17 PM
I reckon my homebrew is around 7% which puts it at around half the strength of a wine. So I reckon 3 500ml bottles (half strength, double volume) is roughly speaking a bottle. That right?

By volume, yeah that's about there.

seepage

Quote from: Fr.Bigley on April 28, 2021, 02:02:26 PM

568 ml ÷ 750 ml x 5% ÷ 12.5% x 5 = 1.5

I can still put it away (though I mostly haven't over the last year), but I feel it terribly the next day no matter how little I have.

If I were to do a 10 pint dayer, I'd expect to be fairly pissed, but not blacked out, and I'm told I'm fairly coherent until I'm properly buggered. Were I to do that, I'd expect to be in bed for the entirety of the next day though. Not to feel too rough upon waking, but to get up for a piss or something mid morning, stick on Netflix and be physically incapable of staying awake until early evening.

The issue is that this is noticeable now after just half a pint. I'll expect to wake up the next day feeling like I've had a drink with quantities I previously would have had watching a game of football with mates, doing a pub quiz or something. Just the other week I had a taste of some beer from a bar a mate runs. Literally just a wetting of the lips since I'd ridden down on a bike, and the next morning I felt groggy and dehydrated.

I dropped off a cliff like this about three years ago. Around the same time I had some tests for my liver function and the numbers and a scan suggested some fatty liver issues, so I wonder if it's that. I only really drink infrequently though. Never at home, and only that sip in all of 2021. If it is that, then I can only think it's my lifestyle generally. I'm a bit tubby, but losing 2 stone would see me in pretty decent shape. The only other thing I can think of is that it's an intolerance to something in beer. Gluten maybe.

H-O-W-L

I frankly drink a bit too much (usually whiskey) but 5-6 pints is mental to me. 5-6 standard tall cans of beer (aka 440ml, not a full pint) would knock me out. People underestimate beer because it's low-ABV but the volume that you do drink it in makes all the difference.

Fr.Bigley

Quote from: drummersaredeaf on April 28, 2021, 02:18:54 PM

I dropped off a cliff like this about three years ago. Around the same time I had some tests for my liver function and the numbers and a scan suggested some fatty liver issues, so I wonder if it's that.

Did you have an ultrasound? Mine tried to suggest I ate fatty foods (Bollocks; at the time I was off non-alcohol sugar and any fatty foods for 3 years). Fatty liver seems to be a blanket diagnosis when they can't be arsed delving deeper.