Author Topic: Apollo 11 pilot Michael Collins dies  (Read 2556 times)

Thomas

• please describe an encounter with a squirrel
Apollo 11 pilot Michael Collins dies
« on: April 28, 2021, 08:10:14 PM »
on the way back to his home planet.

https://news.sky.com/story/apollo-11-astronaut-michael-collins-dies-aged-90-his-family-says-12289631

Of the three Apollo 11 boyos, only Buzz remains. I have Collins' autobiography, and only this week I wondered if I'd get around to reading it before he died. A resounding no.

The 2019 documentary film Apollo 11 is an astounding feat of restored footage. I urge a big screen viewing if possible.

Alberon

• His heart is an empty fridge
Re: Apollo 11 pilot Michael Collins dies
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2021, 08:15:14 PM »
Maybe I should read that. When Aldrin and Armstrong were down on the surface he became the most isolated human ever. At points of his orbit he would have been over two thousand miles from the nearest person.

It’s a shame he didn’t live to see people return to the moon but then I suspect no one thought it would take this long.

touchingcloth

« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2021, 08:21:41 PM »
Carrying the pyre.

monkfromhavana

• Top one, nice one, get sorted
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2021, 08:25:05 PM »
Has anyone ever actually died whilst in space?

mothman

• I don't know why
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2021, 08:27:04 PM »
Laika.

Sebastian Cobb

• bad opinion haver
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2021, 08:31:43 PM »
Has anyone ever actually died whilst in space?

Depends if you believe the 'lost cosmonauts' conspiracy theory: https://allthatsinteresting.com/lost-cosmonauts

It's almost certainly bollocks given both the space race and general Cold War hostility meant The West were almost certainly watching and had comparable SIGINT skills. In fact part of the Space Race stuff involved making sure the other side could verify what you were doing.

Alberon

« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2021, 08:33:56 PM »
It has only happened once to humans and it was entirely preventable.

In 1971 Soyuz 11 had just spent a month docked with Salyut 1 spacestation and were returning to Earth. The capsule depressurised shortly before re-entry and when it landed the three crew were found dead inside.

In the aftermath of the Soyuz 11 disaster, thoughts turned to the investigation and the cause of death. All three crew members had died from suffocation, with the rescue teams having had no chance of saving them.

The issue that had caused the crew to suffocate was traced back to a faulty breathing ventilation valve, which had exposed the crew to the vacuum of space. Shortly before returning to Earth, as the Soyuz descent module decoupled from the orbital module, the valve had come open too early – depressurising the spacecraft. With oxygen escaping out into space, the crew quickly ran out of air, suffocating before they could close the valve.

The valve was behind the seats and in tests after the deaths it was found it took a minute to close. The capsule was depressurised in around half that.

After that, the Soviets returned to having their cosmonauts wear pressure suits when entering or leaving the atmosphere.

monkfromhavana

« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2021, 08:36:06 PM »
But it's not like there's any dead human bodies just floating around in space.

I can't say I'm not disappointed.

Alberon

« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2021, 08:37:29 PM »
With commerical spaceflight now a reality it will only be a matter of time, no matter how safe it is. There's going to be a lot more people going up there now.

monkfromhavana

« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2021, 08:39:49 PM »
With commerical spaceflight now a reality it will only be a matter of time, no matter how safe it is. There's going to be a lot more people going up there now.

YESSSSSSS!!! Thanks for cheering me up.

Sebastian Cobb

• bad opinion haver
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2021, 08:43:16 PM »

Just the other day Musky said 'there's probably going to be some deaths'.

https://www.scmp.com/news/world/united-states-canada/article/3131212/elon-musk-admits-bunch-people-will-probably-die

Thankfully he's cultivated an army of devout simps he can use as test dummies, I guess?

« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2021, 08:43:47 PM »
on the way back to his home planet.

https://news.sky.com/story/apollo-11-astronaut-michael-collins-dies-aged-90-his-family-says-12289631

Of the three Apollo 11 boyos, only Buzz remains. I have Collins' autobiography, and only this week I wondered if I'd get around to reading it before he died. A resounding no.

The 2019 documentary film Apollo 11 is an astounding feat of restored footage. I urge a big screen viewing if possible.

I read the Armstrong bio First Man a few years ago, l was fascinated to see what made him tick as a man, to go down in history as the first human to leave our home planet with the knowledge that there was only a 50% he would make it back.
But I was so disappointed with it. It covers literally the nuts and blots of every plane he flew but never got into what made him so exceptional as a person.

Michael Collins came across as a really humble, intelligent guy. He was asked overnight to write a report for NASA about the Lunar docking and turned up next day with a 300 page essay. It was just so easy for him.

The Moon Landings were one of the pinnacles of human achievement and sadly we seem to have gone backwards as a society since then, still murdering each other over religion, skin colour etc.

RIP Michael.

bgmnts

• Depressed to the point of poisonous toxicity.
« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2021, 08:48:41 PM »
Who?

Shoulders?-Stomach!

• Silver Member
  • ❤️Stag Bol®❤️
    • http://jackanderton.jamendo.net/
« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2021, 08:52:17 PM »
He was no Hayden Mullins.

touchingcloth

« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2021, 08:52:28 PM »
I read the Armstrong bio First Man a few years ago, l was fascinated to see what made him tick as a man, to go down in history as the first human to leave our home planet with the knowledge that there was only a 50% he would make it back.
But I was so disappointed with it. It covers literally the nuts and blots of every plane he flew but never got into what made him so exceptional as a person.

I find this about Armstrong pretty incredible in itself. The most singular moment of any human in the twentieth century, perhaps all of history, and there are basically no interviews or other primary sources about him beyond the purely factual. I think I’ve read more words from Howard Hughes’ and Richard D James’ mouths than Armstrong’s. It’s amazing.

« Reply #15 on: April 28, 2021, 08:54:51 PM »
Who?

Cindy Beale off of Eastenders.

Wonderful Butternut

• Summer Night City!
« Reply #16 on: April 28, 2021, 08:59:10 PM »
Just the other day Musky said 'there's probably going to be some deaths'.

https://www.scmp.com/news/world/united-states-canada/article/3131212/elon-musk-admits-bunch-people-will-probably-die

Thankfully he's cultivated an army of devout simps he can use as test dummies, I guess?

Hopefully he'll be the first.

« Reply #17 on: April 29, 2021, 07:13:04 AM »

Michael Collins came across as a really humble, intelligent guy. He was asked overnight to write a report for NASA about the Lunar docking and turned up next day with a 300 page essay. It was just so easy for him.

The Moon Landings were one of the pinnacles of human achievement and sadly we seem to have gone backwards as a society since then, still murdering each other over religion, skin colour etc.

RIP Michael.

Apparently his biggest fear was being blamed if the other two died on the moon and he came back safely.
RIP Michael.A real super hero,to me anyway.

« Reply #18 on: April 29, 2021, 07:16:42 AM »
The ultimate parent waiting outside to drive his kids home from a party.

Twit 2

• Fucksake
« Reply #19 on: April 29, 2021, 08:38:40 AM »
What is point moon?

idunnosomename

• PIZZA BEAN
« Reply #20 on: April 29, 2021, 10:25:31 AM »
Rip love it when the drums come in on In The Air Tonight

« Reply #21 on: April 29, 2021, 10:35:01 AM »
There seem to be quite a few "Michael Collins" who have made the grade as moderately successful Celebs; as far back as the Easter Rising one. Odd.

« Reply #22 on: April 29, 2021, 12:03:52 PM »
There seem to be quite a few "Michael Collins" who have made the grade as moderately successful Celebs; as far back as the Easter Rising one. Odd.
Gert Fröbe was dubbed by Michael Collins in Goldfinger, and Marvel's Deathlok is also Michael Collins. He gets around the moon a lot.

touchingcloth

« Reply #23 on: April 29, 2021, 12:27:17 PM »
Rip love it when the drums come in on In The Air Tonight

Ironically there is very little air in space. I think it's only pearl divers who are able to breathe up there.

Replies From View

• Rubbing linseed oil into the school cormorant.
  • Golden Member
  • Gargoyles have milk bags.
« Reply #24 on: April 29, 2021, 12:34:15 PM »
Apollo 11 wasn’t even a tragic mission.  How come he has died??

idunnosomename

• PIZZA BEAN
« Reply #25 on: April 29, 2021, 12:45:08 PM »
Not even the best command module pilot in Apollo 11

« Reply #26 on: April 29, 2021, 01:06:07 PM »
He always seemed such a lovely chap in the interviews, basically exactly the person you'd want to send along to the moon stuffed into a can with 2 other people.  My bets are on either his ashes being taken to the moon or the first moon orbital station being named after him.  He deserves it I reckon.

bgmnts

• Depressed to the point of poisonous toxicity.
« Reply #27 on: April 29, 2021, 01:08:07 PM »
He always seemed such a lovely chap in the interviews, basically exactly the person you'd want to send along to the moon stuffed into a can with 2 other people.  My bets are on either his ashes being taken to the moon or the first moon orbital station being named after him.  He deserves it I reckon.

I hope they wait for Buzz to die and bury Buzz and Armstrong's ashes on the moon and leave Collins' ashes on the shuttle.

« Reply #28 on: April 29, 2021, 01:24:30 PM »
I find this about Armstrong pretty incredible in itself. The most singular moment of any human in the twentieth century, perhaps all of history, and there are basically no interviews or other primary sources about him beyond the purely factual. I think I’ve read more words from Howard Hughes’ and Richard D James’ mouths than Armstrong’s. It’s amazing.

Totally agree, l remember reading NASA decided on Armstrong because he "didn't have an ego" and wasn't interested in fame or fortune.

He could do the job, even if it was the most amazing thing any human will ever do, without fanfare.

Fr.Bigley

• Shall I boil this kettle dry?
« Reply #29 on: April 29, 2021, 03:01:54 PM »
Imagine being an Irish revolutionary hero AND piloting a very advanced space module around the moon. Some guy. 

Tags: