Author Topic: Bo Burnham - Inside  (Read 9215 times)

neveragain

• Edited by Paul Merton
Re: Bo Burnham - Inside
« Reply #90 on: June 20, 2021, 09:36:57 PM »
Unashamed fan here (or was, haven't listened to his stuff in years). His piano playing is remarkable and lyrics often damn good too. I adore the bile in 'Ten Foot Cock and A Few Hundred Virgins'.

For the benefit of new-pagers, I am talking about Arthur Askey.

up_the_hampipe

• Crowd appeaser
« Reply #91 on: June 20, 2021, 09:56:31 PM »
Unashamed fan here (or was, haven't listened to his stuff in years). His piano playing is remarkable and lyrics often damn good too. I adore the bile in 'Ten Foot Cock and A Few Hundred Virgins'.

He's one of the few that has actually done some hilarious and insightful anti-religious material. Gervais could never!

« Reply #92 on: June 20, 2021, 10:47:57 PM »
I liked Minchin's Darkside CD wayyyy back a lot and my instincts say it probably holds up, I think he has the same issue I've with loads of musical comedy that I don't really care for it beyond the first good show. It's been so long I might watch his biggest show and then go back to Darkside to see which seems better though

I know he's mentioned liking Hans Teeuwen before, so I found it hard to not think of him during the puppet bit in this show. Hans Teeuwen's manic energy is a much better fit for that kind of bit though.

Whug Baspin

• I'm pleased to say I didn't laugh once
« Reply #93 on: June 21, 2021, 01:05:47 PM »
My favorite example of Bo being funny is the Green Room show he did. As an aside I love these kinds of shows, it must be incredibly stressful, like a comedy waterboarding..Particularly Bo's funny comeback to a snipe from Marc Maron here, Marc perfectly represents a lazy bitter older generation of comics and their entitlements. It's such a quick comeback it got me wondering if he had set this up already as he specifically mentions the sock colour, so perhaps a deliberate trap, but still seems wonderfully off the cuff to me.

« Reply #94 on: June 21, 2021, 01:19:12 PM »
Minchin was tolerable when he did well-crafted funny songs about relationships or blow up dolls. When he started on god and science I realised "Oh! You're one of those comedians.... Fuck off." A real Robin Ince.
I can't find it online, but they all remind me of "Trousers, I'm wearing trousers. They're very elegant and made of crimpolnene. Trousers, I'm wearing trousers. You probably don't know, you probably don't know, you probably don't know what they are!" piano man from Absolutely who reminded me of the awful old bollocks who used to sing similar songs at the end of That's Life.
Basically, they're all modern day Ivor Bigguns.

bakabaka

• Have we got over our differences yet? (ho/hum)
« Reply #95 on: June 21, 2021, 01:25:49 PM »
Basically, they're all modern day Ivor Bigguns.
Who wish they were Ivor Cutler.

« Reply #96 on: June 21, 2021, 08:27:34 PM »
Burnham turns up irregularly in other work too - Promising Young Woman, of course, but also this great Key and Peele sketch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zda8H32pyeI

Have a safe weekend

The Mollusk

• spirit ditties of no tone
« Reply #97 on: June 26, 2021, 08:24:07 AM »
Watched this last night and thought it was superb.

I will say this to the people who’ve criticised it here (can’t be arsed to mass-quote and pick apart, just read my shit please): Gripes with Burnham only addressing certain sides of isolation in the pandemic and white people problems are precisely the intention. You’d think that would be glaringly obvious when one of his songs here literally addresses how full-circle self-reflective and terrified of criticism he is, but here we are. The issues addressed in this special are not meant to be game-changing eye-openers to solving mental health issues or bringing the world together in harmony; they are simply a reflection of all the awful shit that’s been whirling round inside one person’s head for the last horrible year. If it doesn’t feel broad enough for you or it’s overly self-aware, that’s the point. He never shies away from the fact that he’s just presenting “here’s a bunch of ways in which the last 12 months have really fucked my brain up”. It’s not an invitation for that sort of criticism, and agin he addresses this directly in the interlude song where he says he doesn’t care if you’re paying attention to it or not. It is a vent. It just so happens to be a vent where the content is fantastically written and produced.

Similarly for people criticising the disingenuousness of him looking sad and reflective and crying, tha doesn't matter. It is heavily implied that at some point - many points - during all this mess, he has genuinely broke down and felt his mind unravelling. It’s fine for him not wanting to film himself actually sobbing and lying in bed all day but it’s equally fine that he’d want to recreate that as a reflection of his very real experiences. People who call that stuff disingenuous are, whether they like to admit it or not, simply discounting the mental health struggles of other people, in this instance apparently because rich people with access to therapy don’t have an excuse to not be happy. That assumption is ludicrous.

Blue Jam

• YOU COULDN'T MANAGE A HAM SANDWICH
« Reply #98 on: June 26, 2021, 09:25:27 AM »

No shame in liking Tim Minchin, I'm a fan too. Is liking him supposed to be shameful? Does it just go against the CaB concensus? Or is it because he was associated with that whole Skeptic thing?

« Reply #99 on: June 28, 2021, 09:45:45 AM »

I will say this to the people who’ve criticised it here (can’t be arsed to mass-quote and pick apart, just read my shit please): Gripes with Burnham only addressing certain sides of isolation in the pandemic and white people problems are precisely the intention. You’d think that would be glaringly obvious when one of his songs here literally addresses how full-circle self-reflective and terrified of criticism he is, but here we are. The issues addressed in this special are not meant to be game-changing eye-openers to solving mental health issues or bringing the world together in harmony; they are simply a reflection of all the awful shit that’s been whirling round inside one person’s head for the last horrible year. If it doesn’t feel broad enough for you or it’s overly self-aware, that’s the point. He never shies away from the fact that he’s just presenting “here’s a bunch of ways in which the last 12 months have really fucked my brain up”. It’s not an invitation for that sort of criticism, and agin he addresses this directly in the interlude song where he says he doesn’t care if you’re paying attention to it or not. It is a vent. It just so happens to be a vent where the content is fantastically written and produced.

Similarly for people criticising the disingenuousness of him looking sad and reflective and crying, tha doesn't matter. It is heavily implied that at some point - many points - during all this mess, he has genuinely broke down and felt his mind unravelling. It’s fine for him not wanting to film himself actually sobbing and lying in bed all day but it’s equally fine that he’d want to recreate that as a reflection of his very real experiences. People who call that stuff disingenuous are, whether they like to admit it or not, simply discounting the mental health struggles of other people, in this instance apparently because rich people with access to therapy don’t have an excuse to not be happy. That assumption is ludicrous.

I did find some of the emotional bits too obviously staged and it took me out of it a bit wondering how cynical it was but reading what you say there makes perfect sense and it is more likely a recreation of how he felt at times when the cameras weren't on rather than just fabrication

The Mollusk

• spirit ditties of no tone
« Reply #100 on: June 28, 2021, 09:58:05 AM »
Yeah totally. For me the bit that brought it home the most was the live gaming stream sketch, which captured how I felt throughout so much of 2020. The days are so empty that having an emotional outpouring actually felt like an event of sorts, just fuckin crying and feeling at my lowest was like a sort of landmark in a sea of days where nothing else happens. The way the game scene ends as if to say “that’s all there is to do, I didn’t feel like I could achieve anything beyond this” was heartbreaking.

I think it’s hard sometimes to connect to someone else’s pain and I totally get that, but this is the real deal for sure, even if what we see is a staged recreation of it. That dude really has cried and cried and felt absolutely lost and hopeless.

« Reply #101 on: June 28, 2021, 02:01:17 PM »
Made it as far as the 20 minute mark. Abhorrent stuff. Tom Lehrer for Millennials.

A mate's praise for Inside convinced me to watch the rest of it. Look, I can fully appreciate that it's a technical accomplishment, with Bo Burnham doing virtually everything by himself (editing, lighting etc.) but there's very little for me to like. I can handle one or two comedy songs in a set but when they take up the vast majority of a 90 minute special, then it's clearly not my cup of tea.

« Reply #102 on: June 30, 2021, 01:25:51 AM »

I think it's valid to criticise a performance as feeling false, I don't think that's the same thing as saying the emotional reality behind that performance is false. For example, corey feldman  seems to be someone who is in serious need of mental health care, but his art is a complete failure (for me anyway) and doesn't convey his anguish in a way that's easy to empathise with. I don't think it's fair to say such criticism is 'discounting mental health struggles'.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2021, 02:51:31 AM by Deliciousbass »

Tags: