Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 01:42:38 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Deaf Soon

Started by DJ Bob Hoskins, April 28, 2021, 11:37:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DJ Bob Hoskins

I've just been listening to a pristine FLAC of the 2009 Sgt. Pepper remaster and for the very first time in my forty-odd years I could not hear the dog-whistle tone at the end.

Am I going to have to start enjoying music by sitting on the speakers and feeling the Good Vibrations, rather than using my lugholes?

DJ Bob Hoskins

I feel I should add that I don't mean to take the piss out of anyone who suffers from hearing problems. It's just the first time I realised that age has brought about a noticeable degradation in my hearing, which bums me out.

Rizla

Didn't catch any of that, sorry

DJ Bob Hoskins

Psmith

a quarter past three.

earl_sleek

The Mollusk

Quote from: DJ Bob Hoskins on April 28, 2021, 11:37:07 PM
I've just been listening to a pristine FLAC of the 2009 Sgt. Pepper remaster and for the very first time in my forty-odd years I could not hear the dog-whistle tone at the end.

With any luck one day you'll not be able to hear the entire thing at all!

Pauline Walnuts

Is the whistle on the remix? Didn't they take the high pitched squeal off the remaster of Quadrophenia? Probably mastered for CD or something.

buzby

Quote from: OnlyRegisteredSoICanRead on April 29, 2021, 11:36:11 AM
Is the whistle on the remix? Didn't they take the high pitched squeal off the remaster of Quadrophenia? Probably mastered for CD or something.
On the Sgt. Pepper remaster thread on the Steve Hoffman Forums, they said it was still present. It's 15khz, so well within the Nyquist sampling range for 44kHz. Here's a frequency plot of it taken from the 2009 CD:

Apparently for the remaster they had to take a needle drop of the locked groove from an original 60s stereo pressing, hence it being slightly noisy (according to Lewisohn's book, the locked groove section was created at the cutting stage so doesn't exist on the original master tape).

On the 2017 remix they recreated that section from scratch, and use da 16kHz tone instead of the original 15khz tone, and it's obviously much cleaner:

On a tangentially-related note, there is a house at the end of my road that have installed one of those ultrasonic cat scarers in their front garden. It's triggered by a PIR sensor so every time I walk past it goes off. One one hand I am quite happy that I can still hear it, but on the other it's pretty horrible to have it blasting down your lughole indiscriminately.

DJ Bob Hoskins

I used to think buzby was just a very nice and informative person with a passion for (and likely professional experience in) music and engineering. I'm now becoming convinced they are in fact some sort of experimental Google AI bot which can automatically elucidate on any topic posted on an internet forum. Either way, I learn something new with every post, so cheers.

Quote from: buzby on April 29, 2021, 11:49:35 AM
On a tangentially-related note, there is a house at the end of my road that have installed one of those ultrasonic cat scarers in their front garden. It's triggered by a PIR sensor so every time I walk past it goes off. One one hand I am quite happy that I can still hear it, but on the other it's pretty horrible to have it blasting down your lughole indiscriminately.

Detailed spectral analysis graphs or it didn't happen.

purlieu

Yes, there are a couple of those near me, they're really quite annoying. Despite being utterly cloth-eared when it comes to quality - I genuinely can't tell a 192kbps mp3 from a 16/44 lossless file - apparently my hearing is excellent. I had a test a couple of years ago after developing tinnitus and the nurse said I had the best results she'd ever seen. I'm only a few years off 40 and pretty happy about that. I think a lifetime of rarely going to gigs has probably helped.

DJ Bob Hoskins

Quote from: purlieu on May 01, 2021, 09:19:33 PM
I think a lifetime of rarely going to gigs has probably helped.

Yeah, I've been going to gigs regularly since the age of 15 and playing with bands in small rehearsal spaces on and off for nigh-on 20 years, which probably hasn't helped. A few temporary bouts of tinnitus after a particularly loud gig / rehearsal aside, I think I've probably been lucky but have now reached the point where earplugs are a good idea for those occasions.

I saw My Bloody Valentine for the first time on their 2008 reunion tour. I had read that earplugs would be offered at the venue as standard at MBV gigs. Of course on the night I was all "Pah, I know they have a reputation for being really loud, but how bad can it be?", so I didn't bother to use them.

Needless to say, during the so-called 'holocaust' section of You Made Me Realise, the legs of my jeans were literally flapping in the shockwaves from the speakers for a good few minutes. People started pouring out of the venue. I held on until the end and felt like I'd unlocked some sort of indie achievement, but the following couple of days of not really being able to hear properly may not have been worth it.

Quote from: DJ Bob Hoskins on May 01, 2021, 11:18:17 PM
Yeah, I've been going to gigs regularly since the age of 15 and playing with bands in small rehearsal spaces on and off for nigh-on 20 years, which probably hasn't helped. A few temporary bouts of tinnitus after a particularly loud gig / rehearsal aside, I think I've probably been lucky but have now reached the point where earplugs are a good idea for those occasions.

I saw My Bloody Valentine for the first time on their 2008 reunion tour. I had read that earplugs would be offered at the venue as standard at MBV gigs. Of course on the night I was all "Pah, I know they have a reputation for being really loud, but how bad can it be?", so I didn't bother to use them.

Needless to say, during the so-called 'holocaust' section of You Made Me Realise, the legs of my jeans were literally flapping in the shockwaves from the speakers for a good few minutes. People started pouring out of the venue. I held on until the end and felt like I'd unlocked some sort of indie achievement, but the following couple of days of not really being able to hear properly may not have been worth it.

Are you me?

I had the exact same experience with the MBV 2008 tour and the last 20 minutes of YMMR sounded like standing next to a jet on full throttle, I eschewed the earplugs and let it wash over me. Combine that with seeing lots of stupidly loud bands (Mogwai about 5 times at their loudest) combined with playing in bands in tiny rehearsal spaces next to the drummer washing everything with cymbal splashes= A very uncertain future with my hearing. Hopefully I won't end up like the bloke in Sound of Metal....

DJ Bob Hoskins

Heh, I'd also seen Mogwai a few times by that stage which is why I thought I could handle it. MBV definitely raised the bar in terms of - fairly reckless when I think back - volume levels. Aside from the wind-tunnel effect, the bass frequencies resonated in my gut like someone was using my stomach as a punchball.

As for Sound of Metal, I always love watching Riz Ahmed and thought the trailer was excellent, but the subject matter scares the shit out of me so much that I can probably only stand to watch it with my eyes closed fingers in my ears.

idunnosomename

Sorry I'm a trifle deaf.

paging Kittens to thread for the hard sell

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

My days of going to gigs are possibly behind me, but they've certainly taken their toll on my ears. I took a hearing test (albeit an online one, using my crappy cheap earphones) in my mid 20s and was mildly disturbed to find I couldn't hear one of the high pitch tones at all. I bought a pair of earplugs immediately after that, but I think the damage was done (and someone really needs to invent a pair that don't fall out when you're headbanging). I'm nowhere near deaf, but the tinnitus is chronic, even with other sounds to distract from it.

I don't know what the youth are listening to these days, but I'll certainly be warning my sister's and friends' kids to take better care of their hearing than I did of mine.