Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 11:05:57 PM

Login with username, password and session length

NFL 2021

Started by DrGreggles, April 29, 2021, 08:47:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DrGreggles

Draft day seems like the right time to start this year's thread.

I love draft day. I love the ridiculously OTT coverage. I love the camera zooming in on a player who hasn't been picked as early as expected. I love the seemingly endless line of experts predicting who will be selected, then throwing a hissy fit when they're wrong.

I do miss it being held in New York though, in a room full of Jets fans booing every pick - particularly their own.

Incidentally, I was watching the full 1983 draft (AKA "Best Draft EVER") the other day and the pundits were slagging off the Dolphins for choosing a quarterback in the 1st round (27th overall).
"They've just been to the Superbowl - why would you choose a QB?"
"The top 5 QBs have already gone. This is a panic move."
"There's a good reason why he wasn't selected earlier by a team with greater QB needs."
"He's not an elite quarterback."

It was Dan Marino, BTW.

DrGreggles

Bit of a shock with the #1 pick, where the Jags have selected one of Hanson.

Camp Tramp

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rZxNeFLuY98

Always gives me a laugh, the Jets bad drafting record, including grabbing some guy called O'Brien instead of Dan Marino.

"Oh No!"

DrGreggles

Yes, the Jets draft history is hilarious.
Last night was disappointingly good from them.

You're aware of the Marino rumour from that draft, I hope.
If not, it was "leaked" the day before the first round that he was a drunk and a cokehead, always out partying. (This was around the time of the Pittsburgh baseball cocaine scandal, and Marino was a Pittsburgh native)
It was a few years later that some said that he was one of a team who were paid to call various reporters with these rumours.
He didn't know who paid them, but he and his cohorts were all from Miami.
Lots of people think it was someone from the Dolphins, as it was the only way Marino would still be on the board for them.
Nothing has ever been proved.

Camp Tramp

I think I did hear about that. it seems that every year 'character concerns' are raised and the suspicion is always there that an interested team is spreading rumours.

Gurke and Hare

Obviously not with Marino, but isn't "character concerns" usually a euphemism for "black"?

DrGreggles

Purely coincidental, I'm sure...

Dex Sawash

Neighbors who still have a Trump flag had a yard sale today. Tim Tebow book was in the pile, lol.

DrGreggles

DrGreggles

The Jets had a most un-Jets-like draft overall, but rumour has it that they may have still squeezed in a bit of a fuck up in the later rounds.

In round 4 they selected Michael Carter, a running back predicted to go no earlier than round 5.
Later they chose cornerback... Michael Carter.

Suspicions arose that they may have got the wrong Michael Carter first and corrected it when they noticed, but this may be based purely on past Jets draft absurdity.

EOLAN

Be funny if true.

I do find it silly all the back slapping that the front offices do on camera when making a number 1-5 pick when choices are so obvious. Proper backslapping should be for holding out and getting a vital steal in Round 6.

Latter rounds at faster pace also make better television for me, as someone who cares nought bout college football.

Dex Sawash

M Carter the rb was fun to watch in college, really good at waiting for/seeing running lanes open. But I only watch UNC games and a few random bowl games. The Duke Uni M Carter can fuck right off.
A little.homerism for the nfl thread.

DrGreggles

The 'war room' antics are only done for the cameras. No one can be that excited about drafting a low-ranked punter from Missouri.

Who do we think 'won' the draft?
The Jags and Jets both seemed to have addressed their most pressing needs (although I wonder how Sam Darnold felt about the Jets finally using picks on the offensive line), and the Bears trading up for Justin Fields looks like a fantastic deal.
But I think the Dolphins did the best business. They're already a 10-6 team, so they were definitely strengthening from a good position, but they got their #1 target after trading down, then probably couldn't believe that Jaelan Phillips fell to them later in the first round. Then they got 2 predicted first rounders in the second round, and the best non-Kyle Pitts TE in the third.

With the Bills already very good, the Jets and Dolphins improving in the draft, and the Pats investing in free agency, the AFC East could be the division to watch next season.
Who could have foreseen that a couple of years ago?

DrGreggles

Quote from: Dex Sawash on May 02, 2021, 12:44:11 PM
M Carter the rb was fun to watch in college, really good at waiting for/seeing running lanes open. But I only watch UNC games and a few random bowl games. The Duke Uni M Carter can fuck right off.
A little.homerism for the nfl thread.

Oh, I doubt it's true, just repeating the rumour.
But if there's one team your could believe it of...

RB Carter looked pretty impressive from the footage they showed.

Camp Tramp

Mike Mayock may be gone from the Raiders soon.

Leatherwood in the first round was a big reach.

DrGreggles

The Raiders 1st and 2nd round picks look the wrong way round!
If they'd gone Moehrig then Leatherwood, would this be a big deal?

Although anyone drafting someone called Divine Deablo is OK by me.

Camp Tramp

My favourite name is Racey McMath.

The Packers have signed an undrafted free agent named Coy Cronk. Doesn't matter if they lose Rodgers now.

amateur

Quote from: Wentworth Smith on May 03, 2021, 02:00:49 AM
The Packers have signed an undrafted free agent named Coy Cronk. Doesn't matter if they lose Rodgers now.

I would say 95% of my enjoyment of NFL is in the names of the players. The other 5% is fair catch kick attempts.

DrGreggles

Tim Tebow is back!

Old Thrashbarg

Camp Tramp

Meyer has already provided entertainment. I wonder if he will be a Nick Saban level of failure in the NFL?

DrGreggles

I'm enjoying all the Aaron Rodgers trade rumours.
He'll improve almost every team in the short term, so pretty much every suggestion I've heard makes sense to some degree.

DrGreggles

Falcons trade Julio Jones to the Titans

Dex Sawash

What am I missing about Falcons?
Is Jones in final year of contract or Ryan retired?

DrGreggles

Julio is in the last year of his contract, so they're taking a bit of a salary cap hit, but saving themselves a lot more on his salary.

I think it's a shame though, as they'd be great watch with both Julio and Kyle Pitts out there.

I did wonder if the Packers might make a move to try to get Aaron Rodgers back on board.

Old Thrashbarg

The Falcons are struggling with the salary cap. They can't afford to sign their rookie class currently (at least until this trade), so they're having to make room however they can. Though there are players on their roster who could have contracts restructured to create space as well. And Julio requested the trade because he wanted to go somewhere to have a chance to win, though doesn't feel like he's gone to the right team to improve his chances.

Poobum

Nice last second win for the Jags. Great way to end a over a year/20 games without a win.

Old Thrashbarg

Poobum

Amazing from the Bengals. Those mad hyper capitalists are oddly good at ensuring a level playing field in sport.
There were a couple of plays though where Mahomes just refused to throw it, no way you should have 10 seconds of comfortable possession before being sacked by a random.