Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 10:15:53 AM

Login with username, password and session length

aw frig - Back to everything else

Started by Zetetic, April 29, 2021, 04:46:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zetetic

Personally, shaking with anxiety again about a project that I should never have started in the pre-'ViD times to measure the death of hope. What was I planning to do? I don't remember, but it was clearly miserable and obviously pointless. No more working on trivial problems involving computers, and back to a constant and never-ending juggling of depending on other people to do their fucking jobs and encouraging them to do so.

And beyond that, the yawning abyss of recession and poverty and a new government-backed mortgage scheme.

2020 was a simpler time.

Zetetic

Sorry, this probably should have gone into the "What are you looking forward to?" thread.

Zetetic

I'm still helping someone write papers about the factors influencing COVID transmission in care homes. That's insane, isn't it? We're just walking in circles on their graves.

Glebe

Hugs Zetetic, put your mental and emotional health first, hope things work out okay.

Zetetic

Cheers Glebe. Mine are pleasant things to fret about really (once you're 5 units deep at least).

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Zetetic on April 29, 2021, 04:48:21 PM
I'm still helping someone write papers about the factors influencing COVID transmission in care homes. That's insane, isn't it? We're just walking in circles on their graves.

wow

stay strong.

bgmnts

Get in the pub you slag.

(Stay well)

Zetetic

Quote from: BlodwynPig on April 29, 2021, 06:26:55 PM
wow
Well, we've got a lot of data now, can't deny that. Lots of deaths data. Think we're both persevering with it as some sort of ritual or bearing witness.

Quote from: bgmnts on April 29, 2021, 06:46:08 PM
Get in the pub you slag.
Cheers bgmnts.

This wasn't just meant to be a pity-Zetetic thread - I did wonder if anyone else was dreading the parting of the COVID-curtains and awful vision beyond flooding back in.

bgmnts

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/uk/back-to-office-covid-pandemic-wfh-fridays-40-per-cent-b932031.html

Articles like this really do hammer that sense of grimness home. "Back to the office", just the wording spells doom.

Just imagine all those pointless offices that could be reworked into affordable housing. Fucking shit.

BlodwynPig

jaydee81

Quote from: bgmnts on April 30, 2021, 12:39:25 PM
https://www.standard.co.uk/news/uk/back-to-office-covid-pandemic-wfh-fridays-40-per-cent-b932031.html

Articles like this really do hammer that sense of grimness home. "Back to the office", just the wording spells doom.

Just imagine all those pointless offices that could be reworked into affordable housing. Fucking shit.

Just imagine what'll happen to the Standard when no-one goes back to the office

bgmnts

My DWP 'advisor' said they'll be doing face to face appointments again soon and opening back up.

So yeah, thats it. Officially all back to normal as far as I'm concerned. They closed up shut instantly back in early March last year.

idunnosomename

nah precisely. it was the edge of the abyss for me last year and this has been a big pause with the government handouts. not ideal for the old brain health.