Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 10:16:50 AM

Login with username, password and session length

David Cronenberg shooting new film

Started by Sebastian Cobb, April 29, 2021, 07:54:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sebastian Cobb

https://www.indiewire.com/2021/04/david-cronenberg-sci-fi-movie-crimes-of-the-future-shoot-1234633841/

This sounds... interesting, it shares the name with a film he's already made, which seems to be intentionally meta with the story, and a return to body horror with noir elements. I'm in.

Dusty Substance

Stoked for this, especially as he's re-teaming with Viggo, but surely re-using the title of his early film and possibly re-visiting some of the themes in the original Crimes of the Future hints at this being his swansong?

Good grief, is it really seven years since Maps To The Stars?

Sebastian Cobb

Could be, I guess this feels like he's coming out of retirement.

I think Brandon will keep his legacy alive a bit, based on Possessor. It stood on its own but there was clearly a Cronenberg charm to it.

Antiviral had less of that but was still very good, he clearly deserves to be judged on his own merit at the same time comparisons are inevitable.

zomgmouse

chveik

given his artistic trajectory, it'll probably be shit

Goldentony

where's your sci fi film then hey you bollocks

chveik

PlanktonSideburns

Goldentony

if he's fucking films off or retiring id like him to go from build up to explosions of horrifying realistic violence to just the horrifying end bits for about two hours and force an award out of someone somehow

PlanktonSideburns

Quote from: Goldentony on May 03, 2021, 10:13:54 PM
if he's fucking films off or retiring id like him to go from build up to explosions of horrifying realistic violence to just the horrifying end bits for about two hours and force an award out of someone somehow

sweaty man pulls oscar out of a gaape in his chest

clubs himself to death with it

fin

Goldentony

yeah, play on that and when they go oh shit we havent give this one anything I think I havent checked but cant think which year they'd have had exploding shit and nightmares win anything, anyway, when they do that they have to go errr this one goes to CRIMES OF THE FUTURE for best whatever, montage of laserdiscs killing dogs

peanutbutter

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on April 29, 2021, 11:06:31 PM
Could be, I guess this feels like he's coming out of retirement.
I'm pretty sure he was considering himself forced into retirement as his last few films hadn't done very well critically or commercially and no one was willing to fund him anymore.

The last film he made for under 10 million was Crash in 1996 apparently, he probably occupied a kind of mid budget level that has been dying since the early 00s. Cosmopolis, which is the kind of thing you'd imagine was partially chosen on account of how it can have a big budget vibe on a relatively low budget, still managed to cost $20m.

Sebastian Cobb

Looks like they've released an extended synopsis of this now and pic of Léa Seydoux in it.

QuoteTaking a deep dive into the not-so-distant future where humankind is learning to adapt to its synthetic surroundings. This evolution moves humans beyond their natural state and into a metamorphosis, altering their biological makeup. While some embrace the limitless potential of trans-humanism, others attempt to police it. Either way, 'Accelerated Evolution Syndrome' is spreading fast. Saul Tenser is a beloved performance artist who has embraced Accelerated Evolution Syndrome, sprouting new and unexpected organs in his body. Along with his partner Caprice, Tenser has turned the removal of these organs into a spectacle for his loyal followers to marvel at in real time theatre. But with both the government and a strange subculture taking note, Tenser is forced to consider what would be his most shocking performance of all.

bgmnts

Going to be an absolute car crash. Got the moisturiser ready.

phantom_power

Saul Tenser. I love his character names

That one is fairly normal though, after Stathis Borans, Max Renn, Darryl Revok and the like

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Quote from: phantom_power on August 31, 2021, 07:57:01 PM
Saul Tenser. I love his character names

That one is fairly normal though, after Stathis Borans, Max Renn, Darryl Revok and the like

Don't forget my favourite, BARRY CONVEX.

Replies From View

"Welcome to It'll Be Alright On The Night 8"

samadriel

Shaky

That is some fine fucking hair for a man his age. Giving Lynch a run for his money.

sovietrussia

There's no way this is going to live up to the trailer.

Goldentony

looking forward to this a lot. In fact I demand to see it right now, tonight.

PlanktonSideburns

Fuck me that's a trailer

Perfect cast too

phantom_power

Is this a remake of his 1970 film or just re-using the title?

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: phantom_power on April 16, 2022, 04:25:14 PMIs this a remake of his 1970 film or just re-using the title?

I don't think it's a remake, more an evolution.

God I sound a right bellend saying that.

shoulders

It's like queuing for the gallows but as well as being hung you get wanked off

purlieu

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on April 16, 2022, 04:55:58 PMI don't think it's a remake, more an evolution.

God I sound a right bellend saying that.
I think you'll find the word you're looking for is "reboot".