Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 01:13:47 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The Nevers (New Joss Whedon series, though he's been fired)

Started by Small Man Big Horse, April 29, 2021, 08:42:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Small Man Big Horse

Three episodes of Whedon's new show have now aired on HBO Max, though Whedon was fired back in November so while his involvement was considerable he's no longer attached to the project. I've only watched the first episode so far as I was reluctant to bother with it given that he's credited with directing three of the episodes (https://theweek.com/articles/976289/joss-whedon-problem-haunting-nevers for more on his involvement) but I did enjoy the pilot in the end. It starts terribly and has a really boring opening couple of minutes which is so drab it's almost bizarre, but once there's a "Three years later" time jump it becomes a lot more fun as a bunch of women who have developed mysterious powers are involved in a mystery involving some weird looking bastards who tried to kidnap a young girl. The cast are all strong, it looks great and the world building is impressive, though whether it's worth a show becoming involved in when it's future is questionable is question that like many I don't have the answer to.

Dex Sawash

I really liked this but only watched E1 so far. The Irish one has charmed the <insert something Duke DeMondo would say> off me.

olliebean

Anyone stuck with this? I'd have given up but my housemate wanted to persist, although my brain hasn't really allowed me to be interested enough to keep track of what's going on. But episode 6 (the last for now, and I gather the last with Whedon as showrunner) takes it in quite an unexpected, and (I found) somewhat more interesting, direction.

Dex Sawash

I'm through 4 or 5, the one that has the
Spoiler alert
execution
[close]
. Still not sure what that were all about. Wife likes it well enough and we hardly watch anything together so will stick with it.

Small Man Big Horse

I got more in to this as it went on, it's by no means perfect and some episodes were a bit weak, but as a whole I was enjoying it until I watched the sixth episode today and I didn't like the direction it took at all, it's not the first time Whedon has done something like this
Spoiler alert
but with Dollhouse it took a fairly bad show and made it interesting, whereas this took a show I liked and made it annoying.
[close]
Another six episodes have been made and will be shown at some point but I can't say I'm that excited by the news, and if it gets cancelled I doubt I'll bother with them.

Dex Sawash

The last one was a puzzler. Was sure the future lady (actor) was someone else but it wasn't.

olliebean

It seems the remaining 6 episodes of this are being shown on Tubi (free, but unavailable in the UK except with VPN) - three episodes today and three tomorrow - but on a live streaming channel so if you miss them at the time they're shown (and the first three have already gone), there's no way to watch them. Like it's last bloody century. Unless of course someone has managed to record them and is planning to unofficially share them somehow.

Supposedly it's also going to be on the Roku Channel some time in the spring, but I don't know if this will be in the UK and/or elsewhere, or just the US.

(Apologies for the thread necromancy, but there doesn't seem to have been enough interest in this the first time around to justify starting a new thread for it now.)

Dex Sawash

Thanks, I just found this

QuoteThe Nevers will be in regular rotation on Tubi's WB TV Watchlist Channel, with the next time fans can expect to catch the series being March 1 through March 3. In other words, if you can't stream any episode "live" at the time noted, you'll have to catch it the next time around.

Bad Ambassador

Roku is available via Sky Q in the UK. It's included as one of the apps and is free. It's how I watched the Weird Al movie.

bgmnts

Dex Sawash

Quote from: bgmnts on February 16, 2023, 10:54:05 AMWhat's the approximate quip to line of dialogue ratio?

Don't recall anything except I liked it and

Quote from: Dex Sawash on April 30, 2021, 12:06:02 AMThe Irish one has charmed the <insert something Duke DeMondo would say> off me.

Mister Six

Wait Tubi is just a telly channel but on the internet? What's the point of that? Christ.

olliebean

I think it's mostly on-demand stuff but they have a miss-it-and-it's-gone channel as well.

Small Man Big Horse

These are now up on the torrent sites, but given it's clearly not going to get a second season I'm going to wait until people have watched it, and if it's a shitty or cliffhanger ending then I won't bother.

Gulftastic

I watched the first couple. Was there any pay off to the queerbaiting between the two main lasses?

Dex Sawash

Quote from: Gulftastic on February 21, 2023, 02:08:16 PMI watched the first couple. Was there any pay off to the queerbaiting between the two main lasses?

Hope not, been edging for 18 months now

olliebean

Watched about 2/3 of the first one, felt it wasn't doing anything for me, looked it up online to see practically everyone is saying these last 6 episodes are disappointing at best, and bloody awful at worst, and decided not to bother with the rest.