Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 12:42:59 PM

Login with username, password and session length

I hear you're a pest now, Noel Clarke?

Started by Custard, April 29, 2021, 09:48:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blue Jam

Quote from: Shameless Custard on April 30, 2021, 04:13:52 PM
Walliams completely got away with it, didn't he? His career carried on like nothing ever happened

Teflon. Teflon twat

He also got away with having hosted The President's Club Gala for several years by giving the same excuse that most of the attendees gave- ie, that he left before he saw any of the waiting staff being sexually harassed.

Heard a few creepy things about him myself, I'm sure he's getting twitchy.

Blue Jam

Quote from: imitationleather on April 30, 2021, 03:39:33 PM
Getting your knob out at work uninvited is genuinely really strange behaviour.

It's interesting that so many people in the media do it, because you could work in other fields for a thousand years and not encounter anyone who found it a fun thing to do.

The more desirable the job, the more glamorous the industry, the more supply exceeds demand, the more getting ahead isn't a matter of working the hardest but being the most desperate- the more likely you are to find a cock bouncing off your shoulder.

pigamus

Quote from: idunnosomename on April 30, 2021, 04:02:37 PM
Don't think I've ever seen a willy

Charlene's chart career kind of tailed off didn't it

dissolute ocelot

Quote from: Bad Ambassador on April 30, 2021, 04:11:02 PM
The last episode of his ITV drama has been pulled from tonight's schedule, to be dumped on the ITV Hub for two days before being permanently removed.

Oh, its replacement in the schedule? It'll Be Alright on the Night, hosted by none-more-unreproachable David Walliams.
This seems a bit unfair. Presumably some people actually like to watch ITV dramas and care about what happens in the end. Couldn't they just pixellate him like on Police Camera Action, or get Noel Edmonds to reshoot his scenes, like what they did with Kevin Spacey?

Ornlu

Quote from: The Dog on April 30, 2021, 09:25:13 AM
One of the Gallaghers is called Noel. Not sure which one.

The First Noel.

thugler

Not sure how this guy had such a big career in the first place. Everything he's done has been absolute SFC. Particularly the 'dulthood' films which he made his name on. They were absolute crap.
Never liked him and glad he's CANCELLED.

Blumf

Blue Jam

Quote from: thugler on April 30, 2021, 04:36:04 PM
Not sure how this guy had such a big career in the first place. Everything he's done has been absolute SFC. Particularly the 'dulthood' films which he made his name on. They were absolute crap.
Never liked him and glad he's CANCELLED.

People confusing him with Larry Clark and Kids?

Bazooka

His possible revenge for being left off the Fisherman's Friends poster?

turnstyle

Quote from: Bazooka on April 30, 2021, 04:49:06 PM

His possible revenge for being left off the Fisherman's Friends poster?

The framing of the poster makes it look like he's the seagull. If so, fair play to the fella, he's got incredible range.

JamesTC

I used to work with a guy who I really thought was as low as you could get. Like a real epitome of a Legend Gary. Some of his "antics" but not limited to this are:

• Telling a young woman she should wear more low cut outfits.
  • Singing "heaven must be missing angels" to some very young women who had just started.
  • Didn't dry his hands after watching them after the toilet and rubbed them on a woman's face and said "ball sweat".
  • After a "suspicious package" was identified in the mail room of our building, he came over to a colleague, grabbed his own crotch and said "I've got a suspicious package right here".
  • Within an hour of being seated next to a young woman who had just started, he had informed her that he likes it rough in bed.

I think about all that and then I see that there are people in significantly higher paid and more powerful employment who are doing much worse and it really is horrid to think that it could be "an open secret". For years, I thought how the hell the guy was kept on when all the managers knew what he was like. I was actually afraid to make any complaints about him because he seemed to get away with a lot from the union backing him.

I don't really know what I am saying. I guess it all makes me feel like this kind of "open secret" makes most people feel like it is the people higher up the chain condoning the actions by not condemning them and therefore being afraid of complaining for fear of repercussions from those higher ups.

turnstyle

Quote from: JamesTC on April 30, 2021, 04:58:05 PM

• Within an hour of being seated next to a young woman who had just started, he had informed her that he likes it rough in bed.

If he'd followed that up with 'and that's why my bed sheets are made of sand paper!' in a Les Dawson voice, he could have juuuust steered it away from the dangerous A roads of rapey and back into the quiet cul-de-sac of gentle bants.

frajer

I worked with a similar Legend Gary who, when on his training day, the instructor taking him through the procedures bent over to help someone on another bank of desks, and good old Gary proceeded to stand up and mime doing her doggystyle from behind. He wasn't remotely fazed when no-one laughed and instead just stared in shock and embarrassment. The instructor found out and just let it go. I was not working for a good company back then.

He was still hired (of course) and proceeded to tell another colleague out of nowhere "I'd love to cum on your tits." Legennnnnnnnnnd.

A few months in he was eventually given the boot for non-predatory reasons. Stapled a customer's refund cheque to a blank piece of paper and wrote "here is your cheque" on it in ballpoint. The post room phoned up and demanded to know who thought that was acceptable and that was Gary on his way out the door.

Blue Jam

Quote from: JamesTC on April 30, 2021, 04:58:05 PM
    I used to work with a guy who I really thought was as low as you could get. Like a real epitome of a Legend Gary. Some of his "antics" but not limited to this are:

• Telling a young woman she should wear more low cut outfits.
    • Singing "heaven must be missing angels" to some very young women who had just started.
    • Didn't dry his hands after watching them after the toilet and rubbed them on a woman's face and said "ball sweat".
    • After a "suspicious package" was identified in the mail room of our building, he came over to a colleague, grabbed his own crotch and said "I've got a suspicious package right here".

I think about all that and then I see that there are people in significantly higher paid and more powerful employment who are doing much worse and it really is horrid to think that it could be "an open secret". For years, I thought how the hell the guy was kept on when all the managers knew what he was like. I was actually afraid to make any complaints about him because he seemed to get away with a lot from the union backing him.

I don't really know what I am saying. I guess it all makes me feel like this kind of "open secret" makes most people feel like it is the people higher up the chain condoning the actions by not condemning them and therefore being afraid of complaining for fear of repercussions from those higher ups.

Thanks for sharing that James TC. I can recall a couple of times I worked in menial customer service jobs and experienced similar things. One time this guy said to me "What are you like in bed? Because we were just talking about this and we reckon you're like a vixen, biting and scratching". I was a bit horrified by this and told him, and a guy who overheard this told him he was bang out of order and he then accepted it and apologised.

Another time I had a colleague who had just started his first ever job. He was openly going on about women there he fancied and then asked me "What about you? Are you dirty?". A supervisor overheard him and reported him and we had a bit of a formal chat where it was drummed into him that this is not an appropriate way to behave at work and from then on he calmed down, got his head down with the work and actually became quite a pleasant person to work with.

Both of those guys were young and immature, and had their problematic behaviour nipped in the bud (at least I hope it was) early on. I have also worked with a couple of older guys who were more senior and very "handsy" with young, powerless female staff, and I wonder if no-one ever had words with them.

It makes me wonder how many more young men don't have that behaviour challenged at all, for whatever reason- they're wealthy, well-connected, got the job through nepotism, are valued because they're extremely talented or valuable to the firm etc, and people are afraid to challenge them. And how this might enable and embolden them to keep being more and more creepy, and as they move up in their careers people get more powerless to challenge them.

I know it's #NotAllMen but I do often wonder if a sizeable minority of men are sleazebags, perhaps thanks to them missing out on early lessons on what kind of behaviour is appropriate. I'm in a  wonderful relationship with a wonderful man, my male friends are all lovely and not remotely sleazy, and I really wish I didn't feel that way but I've just observed this behaviour depressingly often.

Thinking about the time I used to wait tables in the City of London I remembered how sleazy and obnoxious the City Boys were, wealthy men who were quite young but still old enough to know better, being sleazy and boorish towards waiting and bar staff just because they could, buouyed up on a sense of entitlement no-one had ever dared to challenge. It's that Bullingdon Club attitude, it comes from the same place.

Kankurette

Ugh. I'm not at all surprised the City bankers treated you like that, their workplaces have a reputation for being extremely misogynistic.

The Dog

I've been reviewing his filmography and it turns out he also thought about my penis during the filming of Star Trek into darkness!

Unbelievable!

JamesTC

I think it definitely is the thing that (mainly) young men unchallenged then snowball into much worse behaviour as they become more confident. Add in the fact that as they become more confident, people around them because less confident in challenging them.

I'm just not sure what can be done about it. When this behaviour is happening publicly, ultimately is it everybody's responsibility to point it out? I felt with the Legend Gary above that there was no point in reporting his behaviour to the managers as they were well aware of it (likewise they were aware of the days he drove into work drunk) and I felt scared to go to the union as I felt they had backed him in the past so would back him now.

If it isn't up to the people at the bottom of the career wrung (who are most often the victims of this behaviour) then who is responsible? Is it managers (or in entertainment industry the directors, writers and executives)?

H-O-W-L

My understanding is it's a cultural and upbringing problem and not necessarily masculine alone though clearly men outnumber women in the issue.

Prefacing this by saying I'm just sharing an experience and not trying to negate the legitimate, daily, very real problem of gender inequality.

But I worked in a dept dominated by other women for a while and they too had a very inappropriate attitude towards sex and the workplace. Legit groping male staffmembers, comments and questions that would get you knocked out in a pub etc, some of whom they targeted had issues or were too awkward to tell them off etc. I gave them shit for it and told them if they were a bloke they'd get their shit kicked in (and being a woman of equal opportunity I very much desired to demonstrate for them but alas we live in a world of law.). But of course being the only non-straight member of the team I was dismissed as "just being a d*ke". Alas they all left in turn one by one before their review meetings over the complaints I made anonymously.

Blue Jam

Quote from: Sonny_Jim on April 30, 2021, 12:35:39 PM
    I think he's more likely to go the Spacey route of issuing an apology and absolutely no one thinking it's sincere.

You called it:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-56948644

"Getting professional help" too.

mothman

It's just incomprehensible to me, this sort of behaviour. I wouldn't even contemplate sending my wife a dick pic!

JamesTC

I also wouldn't send your wife a dick pic.

mothman

Yeah, sorry about that, she's usually much more sympathetic and considerate towards those less fortunate, but she just couldn't stop laughing at the last one you sent.

JamesTC

It was cold out and in fairness it was just harmless bantz and I was being a LAD.

mothman

Ah well, these things happen.

Look at us, being all bantz and everything. This is probably how it starts, you know. Slippery slope, soon we'll be covertly filming nude auditions too!

Quote from: H-O-W-L on April 30, 2021, 04:08:07 PM
    I didn't watch the full clip but if you mean the slapping-the-mic-to-make-funny-sound thing then yeah Murphy did it in his bit about his Aunt Bunny falling down the steps.

That's probably what I'm thinking of now you mention it.

JamesTC

Quote from: mothman on April 30, 2021, 07:43:29 PMSlippery slope, soon we'll be covertly filming nude auditions too!

You prepare the denial. I'll prepare the apology for the thing we have denied.

H-O-W-L

Quote from: Better Midlands on April 30, 2021, 08:26:01 PM
    That's probably what I'm thinking of now you mention it.

I rewatched and he does it with his mouth but it's basically the same sound. Delirious as a whole is soured by the homophobia but the anecdote of Bunny falling down the stairs while screaming prayers still makes me titter. [THUMPTHUMPTHUMPTHUMP] "OH LORD HELP ME JESUS LORD"