Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,583,400
  • Total Topics: 106,741
  • Online Today: 811
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 06:11:00 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Starstruck

Started by rude soil, April 29, 2021, 11:36:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rude soil

Rose Matafeo has co-written a romcom series starring herself. All the episodes are on BBC iPlayer.

QuoteA drunken New Year's Eve hook-up becomes far more complicated for Jessie when she discovers her one night stand is actually a film star. What she thought would become an amusing anecdote soon turns into something else.

The premise doesn't sound inspiring but Rose Matafeo is great in this.

Ja'moke

I watched it all over a couple of nights. Is it anything groundbreaking? No. But it's quite sweet, gently funny, and an easy watch. And as rude soil say, Rose Matafeo is great in it.

The Lurker

About to watch the second episode now. Decent enough start to it anyway even if I did accidentally start watching the first few minutes of the last episode like the idiot that I am.

Quote from: Ja'moke on April 30, 2021, 12:50:32 PM
I watched it all over a couple of nights. Is it anything groundbreaking? No. But it's quite sweet, gently funny, and an easy watch. And as rude soil say, Rose Matafeo is great in it.

It reminded me of Together (Johny Sweet sitcom) from a few years back.

Gentle.

Deliciousbass

Don't know if I can watch another show where the main character's only problem is that they're in their late 20's.

The Lurker

Hmm, it was slow. Very slow. Can't imagine I'll bother watching the second series but, fair play, like Ja'moke said, Rose Matafeo was great in it

neveragain

Her performance is certainly very good but the first two episodes don't intrigue me enough to watch further. The Fleabag comparisons are spot on because it shares a lot of the former's sensibility but doesn't do anything as interesting (or crucially, to me, funny) with it.

I agree with the 20's thing. I just can't be bothered with "ohmygod you've got a new girlfriend but we used to go out" modern-life wackiness. Sorry, I'm old.

olliebean

Having watched it all now, there's a premise (which you get in episode 1) but not really a story. Oh, and there's a second season coming, so we'll see if they manage to find a story for that or if it'll just be six more episodes of kicking the premise around in search of one.

Rose Matafeo was good as Ollie in The Thick of It, though.

SteveDave

I started watching this last night and enjoyed trying to figure out where they were in East London. The pub quiz in episode two was in the Adam And Eve in Homerton. I quite enjoyed the actual storyline too.

SteveDave

Finished this last night. Loved it.

Her cinema workplace was the Castle Cinema on Chatsworth Road. I will be organising a "Starstruck" walking tour.

Leej88

Thought it was boring on the whole.

Norton Canes

Just watched s1e1 with Mrs Canes (sitting next to me I mean, she's not in it) after seeing Rose Matafeo plug season 3 on Sunday Brunch (yes, we watch Sunday Brunch)

Underwhelming, though there were two laugh-out funny lines which is more than in most BBC3 comedies. The sex scene was pretty awful as it was obvious the actors participating had filmed their shots separately with body doubles of their co-star. And at 22 minutes the episode seemed a bit brief, like they'd made it the perfect length for bored people to fill in a bit of time between hoovering.

Still, I thought the premise just about held enough promise to warrant a stab at episode two, though Mrs Canes might need some convincing

mjwilson

lauraxsynthesis

I can't remember a single thing about series 2 so need expert advice about whether to interrupt my Red Dwarf rewatch for this.

Captain Z

Does S3 move the story on from "actually I'm not sure this is going to work... this definitely isn't going to work we should split up... no wait I love you" at all?

dr beat

Yeah I like RM and I enjoyed the first series of this, but S2 felt like it was stretching it (but hey if the Beeb keep commissioning, I dont really blame em for saying yes...)

j_u_d_a_s

Watched it all last couple of days and my only thought about it was how unneccesary it all was. It was already showing signs of running out of steam towards the end of the first series.

Spoiler alert
The biggest issue with the latest series and the show as a whole is that it's all about Jessie who, to put it bluntly, just isn't that compelling a character. Tom's never been fleshed out or even convinced as an incredibly famous film star. But the biggest crime this show has committed is underusing Jessie's circle of friends. They're all funny and interesting in their own right yet are never allowed to exist seperately from Jessie, if she's not in the scene then they only ever talk about her.

Not an awful lot happens and Jessie doesn't really do much. Some things happen, some drama is contrived, Jessie doesn't seem to learn anything. It's also the second comedy-drama on the BBC to have a scene/storyline about a would be dad freaking out about an oncoming birth, proving what a limited well this style is.

There's a really good cameo from John Simm in episode 3 which is perhaps the funniest moment of the entire show. The back and forth dialogue between Jessie and new love interest Liam throughout the rest of this latest series starts grating on the nerves really quickly. Liam isn't much of a character as a collection of smartarse responses. It's a trope of lazy writing that female love interests are also two-dimensional, the same is true when they're male.

[close]

So in summary, not a lot happens, nothing is learned, the end.

The Lurker

Oh yeah, I remember this show. I didn't bother watching after the first series. Man of my word. Couldn't believe all the rave reviews it got - was a very cliche and predictable show. (Well the first series was anyway)

Norton Canes

Oh cool, my thread revival got some traction

Watched three episodes now. THree episodes, three jokes. It's nothing if not consistent.

Best thing about it though is that it's one of the few things me and Mrs Canes enjoy watching together. Mrs Canes because she loves all that gentle will-they-won't-they romantic shit, and me because... it's got to get better, hasn't it?

Oh and we both like Rose Matafeo

Norton Canes

We've been in London for the past three days and I've really been hoping we could bump into Nikesh Patel just so I could go "Look! It's Tom Kapoor!!"

lazyhour

Watched series three last night. It's completed its journey to becoming a soap with occasional amusing bits.

thugler

I hate this show. Boring cliched rubbish, it has nothing interesting to say. Why does every sitcom now have to look like it's a film and have barely any humour in it. It even has a fucking teal and orange colour grading added to it.

mrpupkin

Quote from: thugler on August 31, 2023, 08:22:33 PMWhy does every sitcom now have to look like it's a film and have barely any humour in it.

Agreed. Plus they all have to be about twats finding their feet in London. And the twats' massive flats have to be interior designed by BBC people who have never set foot in a flat that wasn't owned by a multi millionaire.

Hat FM

haha! haven't watched the latest series because mediocre but agree with the most recent comments. didn't Rose's character live in a 2 bed house with her mate in Hackney whilst working part time in a cinema? When something is labelled a comedy drama rather than a comedy you know its because it was meant to be funny then they made it and realised there were barely any jokes.