Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 20, 2024, 12:09:40 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Unusual places that inspired your music taste

Started by JaDanketies, April 30, 2021, 12:06:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JaDanketies

I'm just listening to the South Park album Chef Aid. Released and bought in 98 when I was just 10 years old and regularly enjoyed for a lifetime afterwards. My first (or one of my first) exposure to artists such as Wu Tang Clan, System of a Down, Rancid, and even Ozzy Osbourne. It was full of rap-metal songs and was pretty forward-thinking considering that Korn's breakthrough album was released later that year and Rollin' by Limp Bizkit was still two years away.

Then when I was a teenager I was regularly playing Tony Hawk Pro Skater 1 and 2 on the Dreamcast. Bands like Bad Religion, Dead Kennedies and Rage Against the Machine embedded me as a mosher and opened me up to hardcore punk.

So perhaps I can credit Grand Theft Auto San Andreas for making me not a terminal mosher in old age and expanding my preferences to include bands like Toots and the Maytalls, or the whole Country and Western or Classic Rock genres.

phantom_power

I first heard Jacques Dutronc, specifically Hippie Hippie Hourrah, at the end of an Aziz Ansari stand-up special

Avril Lavigne

Quote from: JaDanketies on April 30, 2021, 12:06:42 PM
System of a Down

I got into System of a Down through playing the not-bad (as I remember it) Playstation 3rd-person shooter 'Apocalypse' starring Bruce Willis. One of the inner city levels had a segment featuring a giant videoscreen showing a live video of them playing 'War?' while you fought enemies below, which was technologically a pretty novel thing to see in a mid-tier game that nobody seemed to care much about. I had to record the audio onto a cassettte so I could listen to it because their first album wasn't out til later that year.

BlodwynPig

Sebastian Cobb

For GTA Wildstyle was my jam. I was already into hip-hop but it made me realise I really love Electro.

I think I also really got into UK Garage after scanning around for pirate stations of any genre and landing on Silk City.