Author Topic: Wine Cunt Culture  (Read 1502 times)

H-O-W-L

• Just A Number Ridin' Solo In The Code
Wine Cunt Culture
« on: May 01, 2021, 08:23:30 PM »
Not much of a wine cunt myself, more of a whisk(e)y bitch, but I got ahold of a bottle of red today (Campo Viejo) because I fancied some wine, and while looking up general advice on storing wine I've encountered some rightcunt shit:

From MarthaStewart:

Do you ever find a half-empty bottle of merlot on the counter and can't quite remember how many days it's been there? Should you pour it down the drain or take a chance on sipping it during your next Netflix session?

From Mentalfloss
If you really want to know if a particular wine would benefit from being given time to breathe, try your own experiment at home. Buy two bottles, decant one, and let it breathe for an hour. Do you notice a difference in the taste? Even if you don’t, it's an experiment that justifies opening two bottles of wine.

What the fuck? Imagine if someone said these things about hard liquor! They'd be called psychotic! What the fuck is with this and winecunts? No offense to those who like wine-- I understand most wine drinkers are not like this, but this being culturally acceptable -- and these aren't the only two articles I've seen this sort of language in -- is baffling to me. Wine's not exactly soft in terms of alcohol content, it's merely less than hard spirits, so how the hell is this OK?

bgmnts

• Depressed to the point of poisonous toxicity.
Re: Wine Cunt Culture
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2021, 08:29:13 PM »
Wine has been branded in such a way that creates a different kind of pisshead. We dont look down on wine drinkers, but spirits and beer/lager/cider drinkers we do. Bizarre.

I assume it comes from cultures where wine is culinary.

And of course its a class thing.

I like a bit of red in a pasta sauce or a moussaka though.

« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2021, 08:33:53 PM »
Don't see anything wrong with the quoted text whatsoever. Seems a bit strange that you're so furious about it.

Wine has been branded in such a way that creates a different kind of pisshead. We dont look down on wine drinkers, but spirits and beer/lager/cider drinkers we do. Bizarre.

Don't think that's particularly true. If people drink cheaper stuff, it'll get sneered at by snobby wankers whether it be laqer or wine or vodka.

Sebastian Cobb

• bad opinion haver
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2021, 08:35:22 PM »
Campo Viejo Rioja is a great mediocre wine/daily driver. And I guess that's why the snobbery around it exists. Same with Lindemans.

The most I've spent on wine is about 30 quid, for the well-regarded Two Paddocks, owned by the NZ actor Sam Neill. It was nice but I already felt I was on diminishing returns.

I understand Pancreas wouldn't get out of bed for these sorts of wines though. Takes all strokes.

Glebe

• It's a fanny old mafia game, innit?
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2021, 08:35:44 PM »

Butchers Blind

• Adios pantaloons!
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2021, 08:37:52 PM »
Consider myself in the uneducated area of wine. Could not differentiate between £5 bottle and £40 bottle of vino.

« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2021, 08:38:22 PM »
Well you have specifically shaped glasses for brandy/whisky, there's the whole adding water to whisky to open up the flavour business - pretty much only whisky though I suppose.

Glebe

• It's a fanny old mafia game, innit?
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2021, 08:41:15 PM »
I like a nice red wine. That's about all I can say.

Buelligan

• STOP being afraid
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2021, 09:09:39 PM »
Provocative thread.  Young and brash, yet certainly madérisé with a disturbing huff of shite and vinegar.

mothman

• I don't know why
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2021, 09:25:47 PM »
Provocative thread.  Young and brash, yet certainly madérisé with a disturbing huff of shite and vinegar.

Its presumption may amuse you.

H-O-W-L

« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2021, 09:34:30 PM »

Sorry to say that I see plenty of legitimate discussion about alcoholism and alcohol binge acceptance in UK culture and others throughout CAB and seeing bold (stupid) statements like in the OP (and elsewhere, the Epic Wine Mum Bants shit) caught me off guard and I thought it would be interesting to bring up. But, you know, you can always just be a complete prick to me wholesale via oblique phrasing and at straight up target me for being younger than the average age of the rest of the board (an actual irrelevance) too. Fucking uncalled for.

chveik

• OPEN THE PUBS BOYS
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2021, 09:35:25 PM »
Could not differentiate between £5 bottle and £40 bottle of vino.

they're the same basically but Big Wine doesn't want plebs to know

H-O-W-L

« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2021, 09:39:13 PM »
Nevermind I'm just letting my general shit mood get the better of me. Apologies, Buelligan. Time for a kip.

bgmnts

• Depressed to the point of poisonous toxicity.
« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2021, 10:01:45 PM »
I'm constantly criticising alcohol consumption and the problems associated with here and have been knocked back quite a few times. Dont worry HOWL its nothing personal or owt, people are just weird about booze, whatever it is.

Society will go vegan before it goes teetotal.

« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2021, 11:17:26 PM »
Veganism and teetotalism exist in similar spaces as I think people take the existence of such people as an unspoken rebuke of habits they themselves quietly acknowledge are probably not on.

You don't even need to say anything about the treatment of animals or talk about the social cost of widespread alcoholism and people are already on the back foot. Half-expecting to be forced to justify their lifestyles.

I don't bother talking about these things as I think everyone should make decisions and I don't really care if people are incapable of spending time with their families without half a pint of vodka inside them but I have had people justify themselves to me so many times. More so meat than booze recently, which is interesting as while I definitely do not give a shit about others eating meat, I know that I do struggle to remain civil around people who are pissed.

« Reply #15 on: May 02, 2021, 12:08:12 AM »
The first quote about chancing a bottle that's been open for a few days seems fair enough - I'm never sure what the point of no return is for that vinegary flavour creeping in, although tbf that seems like something a wine expert/snob (which I'm definitely not) should know.

The second one, I have no idea what it means to give wine "time to breathe", but yes agree the "oh well, you get to open two bottles of wine LOL" ending comes off a bit dodgy.

The only wine wisdom I've ever espoused is the motto ABC - Anything But Chardonnay. Which is probably very snobby in itself, and I'm sure there are nice Chardonnays out there, but to me it always tastes of house parties and provincial nightclubs and trying to get wasted as quick as possible. (as in, from my own experience, not as in that's how I imagine the Chardonnay-guzzling proles must live)

« Reply #16 on: May 02, 2021, 12:16:42 AM »
Certainly, a provocative thread.

Who keeps wine? I'm with Keith Floyd and Christopher Hitchens: you drink it until it's done; throw that cork away. My word. Clive.

*edit* Waitrose have an utterly fantastic 12.5% Veneto, if you're into that (sometimes reduced to 6 or 7 quid). I am sipping it now after a family catch-up and watching Morrissey's nephew's ace video of the 2016 Santa Barbara show on YouTube. Hard. Real feels real.

idunnosomename

• PIZZA BEAN
« Reply #17 on: May 02, 2021, 12:23:12 AM »
i love a bottle of wine but i couldnt oh wait

H-O-W-L

« Reply #18 on: May 02, 2021, 04:36:27 AM »
I think there's misunderstanding here: I'm not a snob in regards to people drinking wine, liking wine, or appreciating wine in any way.

Moreso I was taken aback by stuff like these articles because it reminded me of the general double-standard around wine-drinking to excess, something I've seen elsewhere and indeed something I was taught by my own parents (wine fanatics) in a proxy way. They drank (and still drink) shitloads of wine and yet refuse to admit it's an excessive drinking problem. This from the mouths of two who will also balk at me for drinking neat whiskey. Similarly whenever I've been on nights out with friends-of-friends or workmates I've always gotten odd looks and even the odd "yer an alkie haha" comment for drinking neat spirits (in small measures) as opposed to... a full glass of 12% alcohol... ?

Similarly you see shit like those NetMums/MumsNet threads and facebook posts where Very Online Mums giggle and titter about "wine o'clock" and chugging a bottle a night ever since they've had kids, seemingly with no awareness of how dangerous alcohol is, as a drug. (It's not a drug it's a drink etc etc)

Not that similar doesn't exist with beer ("it's just beer" is legit something I've heard from people who later wrapped themselves around lamp posts) but with wine there is a legitimate air of snootiness to the way it's culturally presented, which I think is fucked up, topsy turvy, mind-spinning stuff. Hence "wine cunts". Not all wine drinkers are cunts, but some cunts are wine drinkers.

As I say, it seems to be an intrinsic double standard in cultural marketing and thus in the zeitgeist that squash grape juice is fine, but scary barley barrel milk of fire spooky.

chveik

• OPEN THE PUBS BOYS
« Reply #19 on: May 02, 2021, 04:42:59 AM »
hitler was a teetotaler. makes u think eh

NoSleep

• Me and the hedgehog, we bursting the tyres all day
    • Space Is The Place
« Reply #20 on: May 02, 2021, 06:03:31 AM »
If you really want to know if a particular wine would benefit from being given time to breathe, try your own experiment at home. Buy two bottles, decant one, and let it breathe for an hour. Do you notice a difference in the taste? Even if you don’t, it's an experiment that justifies opening two bottles of wine.
What the fuck? Imagine if someone said these things about hard liquor! They'd be called psychotic! What the fuck is with this and winecunts? No offense to those who like wine-- I understand most wine drinkers are not like this, but this being culturally acceptable -- and these aren't the only two articles I've seen this sort of language in -- is baffling to me. Wine's not exactly soft in terms of alcohol content, it's merely less than hard spirits, so how the hell is this OK?

You're assuming that you would make this experiment alone. And hard liquor isn't really a good comparison as an opened bottle could last months or even years. And wine only has about twice the alcohol content of beer, so drinking one bottle of wine (10 units) is around the same as drinking four pints of beer.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2021, 06:16:26 AM by NoSleep »

« Reply #21 on: May 02, 2021, 06:58:39 AM »
How does one turn wine into vinegar? (I have an opened bottle of red.) If I leave the screw-top off will it just turn? Should I pour it into a bowl or something, to help it along? Is there something I can add to it, some bacteria or summat, to help?

thenoise

• Golden Member
« Reply #22 on: May 02, 2021, 07:35:19 AM »
You could just buy vinegar, which is significantly cheaper.

« Reply #23 on: May 02, 2021, 07:37:09 AM »
You’re right though. There is a double standard. Look at all those ‘teehee I’m so drunk’ wine mum memes and the idea that drinking wine to cope is cute. Drinking shitloads of wine will still get you plastered. My mum wouldn’t have been a better class of alkie if she’d drunk wine instead of vodka and whisky.

phes

• operating as a shape
« Reply #24 on: May 02, 2021, 07:39:39 AM »
waking up brain fucking rotted desolation and realising that you now do 'netflix sessions'

« Reply #25 on: May 02, 2021, 08:33:42 AM »
You could just buy vinegar, which is significantly cheaper.

I aspire to be a vinegar snob. The cost is not an issue.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

• Silver Member
  • ❤️Stag Bol®❤️
    • http://jackanderton.jamendo.net/
« Reply #26 on: May 02, 2021, 09:34:29 AM »
There are beer drinkers who buy up all the most fashionable, cliquey, usually intensely strong beer, only to add it to their dragon hoard. There is a group who let the beer age, then only try it after it has matured, sometimes for a decade.

A very high percentage of this beer is undrinkable by the time they get to it, and gets thrown down the sink, meaning not only have they spoiled these delicious creations, they have helped these beers be unobtainably expensive for others through sheer possessive greed, and not even got to drink the fuckers anyway.

Slam their heads on an aluminium counter, ship them off to pick cabbages in the Ukraine.

As far as this thread goes, I am still searching for what the central point is. Are we saying that there's a sort of middle class loucheness, undeserved decadence and unhealthy laissez-faire attitude to alcohol consumption on account of the culture surrounding wine that lends it a default veneer of sophistication? If so, yep probs.

SpiderChrist

• "the law of averages says you'll survive"
« Reply #27 on: May 02, 2021, 09:59:41 AM »
I work with people who will openly bang on about “a cheeky bottle” and “wine o’clock” and yet if I say I’m leaving early cos I need to get to my dealer’s house before he runs out or nods out then I don’t half get some funny looks.

Buelligan

• STOP being afraid
« Reply #28 on: May 02, 2021, 10:16:50 AM »
As far as this thread goes, I am still searching for what the central point is. Are we saying that there's a sort of middle class loucheness, undeserved decadence and unhealthy laissez-faire attitude to alcohol consumption on account of the culture surrounding wine that lends it a default veneer of sophistication? If so, yep probs.

Probs something that's particularly British.  I'd say there is a generally unhealthy attitude towards alcohol, generally, fairly prevalent in the UK.  I literally ate chocolate until I puked and passed out, it was brilliant.

« Reply #29 on: May 02, 2021, 10:19:44 AM »
Moreso I was taken aback by stuff like these articles because it reminded me of the general double-standard around wine-drinking to excess, something I've seen elsewhere and indeed something I was taught by my own parents (wine fanatics) in a proxy way. They drank (and still drink) shitloads of wine and yet refuse to admit it's an excessive drinking problem. This from the mouths of two who will also balk at me for drinking neat whiskey. Similarly whenever I've been on nights out with friends-of-friends or workmates I've always gotten odd looks and even the odd "yer an alkie haha" comment for drinking neat spirits (in small measures) as opposed to... a full glass of 12% alcohol... ?

Oh definitely, and this also makes me think of the anecdotes I posted in the Times you have involuntarily said 'fucking hell' thread a couple of days ago:

What is it with people acting like this towards serving staff? In various waitress/bar jobs I've done I've never had anything truly horrific, but I remember a few separate instances of customers threatening to get me arrested for not doing things to their liking - once it was a lecturer from the uni near a pub I worked at, on one of their staff pissups, said he'd call the police because I pointed out that the wine I brought him was actually the correct wine when he'd insisted it was wrong, the name on the label was just a bit different to how it was listed on the menu.

And quite a few people at Ascot who couldn't process the fact that I was closing the bar and so they couldn't order their 700th Jeroboam of Bollinger that afternoon, which obviously required the strong arm of the law to rectify.

I'm not saying wine was the cause of the cuntiness on either occasion, but I can't imagine someone kicking off in the same way because they thought I'd brought them, say, an Amstel instead of a Moretti, no matter how twatted they were.

And yes, agree that the general "cheeky bottle of prosecco, ooh what am I like LOL" narrative in popular culture is very problematic. I think part of it comes from gendering booze - as in, "feminine" drinks like gin and rose and sparkling wines are apparently acceptable for women to get pissed on, so there's a whole industry based on playing up the "ooh, bit naughty, this" element of it - almost as if women are given permission to do something a bit subversive, but it's always framed as a reward for/respite from dealing with kids, shitty men etc. - "gin o'clock", "glass of bubbly with the girls", etc. - while drinks traditionally seen as "masculine" are generally marketed around ideas of heritage and history and status.

Obviously in the real world there are loads and loads of women who drink beer and whisk(e)y and there are plenty of women-owned breweries etc. but you'd be surprised by how many people still have an idea in their head of who should and shouldn't be drinking what (and it's definitely not just gender, there are obviously very outdated and damaging class and race stereotypes around drinking as well).

Tags: