Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,584,351
  • Total Topics: 106,754
  • Online Today: 1,132
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 04:58:38 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Wine Cunt Culture

Started by H-O-W-L, May 01, 2021, 08:23:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Icehaven

Quote from: H-O-W-L on May 02, 2021, 04:36:27 AM
Similarly whenever I've been on nights out with friends-of-friends or workmates I've always gotten odd looks and even the odd "yer an alkie haha" comment for drinking neat spirits (in small measures) as opposed to... a full glass of 12% alcohol... ?

I'd say anyone who can make a small measure of spirit last as long as a pint of beer or a glass of wine is extremely unlikely to have a drinking problem.

Kankurette

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on May 02, 2021, 09:34:29 AM
There are beer drinkers who buy up all the most fashionable, cliquey, usually intensely strong beer, only to add it to their dragon hoard. There is a group who let the beer age, then only try it after it has matured, sometimes for a decade.

A very high percentage of this beer is undrinkable by the time they get to it, and gets thrown down the sink, meaning not only have they spoiled these delicious creations, they have helped these beers be unobtainably expensive for others through sheer possessive greed, and not even got to drink the fuckers anyway.

Slam their heads on an aluminium counter, ship them off to pick cabbages in the Ukraine.

As far as this thread goes, I am still searching for what the central point is. Are we saying that there's a sort of middle class loucheness, undeserved decadence and unhealthy laissez-faire attitude to alcohol consumption on account of the culture surrounding wine that lends it a default veneer of sophistication? If so, yep probs.
It is a class thing. A middle-class person necking bottles of Merlot is acceptable. A tramp necking bottles of White Lightning is not. And anyone who wastes good beer like that should be fired into the sun.

Quote from: flotemysost on May 02, 2021, 10:19:44 AM
I'm not saying wine was the cause of the cuntiness on either occasion, but I can't imagine someone kicking off in the same way because they thought I'd brought them, say, an Amstel instead of a Moretti, no matter how twatted they were.

Bring me an Amstel when I ordered a Moretti and I swear I'll do fucking time

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Quotewhile drinks traditionally seen as "masculine" are generally marketed around ideas of heritage and history and status

This seems a reasonable observation. It may explain why rum has failed to find a niche or a moment. You can clearly define prosecco/gin/spritz culture just as you can single malt, fruit ciders or craft beer or, going back a decade or two, real ale.

There are fun rums like Kraken, Sailor Jerry, Captain Morgan that are relatively popular and had little moments but marketing-wise, they haven't really staked out who will be drinking it, how much or for how long, or what they will drink it with. There is also the issue that good rum can be of equivalent complexity to good whiskey, but has never come even close to gaining traction as a British thing, possibly through a lack of confidence over its audience. Either way, rum isn't often pigeonholed by gender.

I don't really understand why it is that women should enjoy, or be told to enjoy fizzy fruitier unchallenging stuff. My partner loves heavily smoky flavours, atypical fruits, Amaro style Italian bitter drinks and pretty much open to a lot of strong flavours in food and drink. I have other female friends who adore honking, chemically hazardous biowaste cheese while I am trundling along in the safety lane.

I guess any manufactured phoney culture created by corporations, gendered or otherwise is all about economies of scale and profit. They want instinctively to pare back choice and quality to make macro scales of production as efficient and profitable as possible, whether its using class sensitivity and flag waving to hook lads on Carling or guilty pleasure and escapism to hook lasses onto gin and fizz.

Kankurette

I hate white wine and prefer spirits and cocktails. I guess this makes me non-binary or something.

Re feminine drinks being seen as acceptable, one of the biggest demographics for alcoholism is middle-aged, middle-class women. As for being teetotal, I remember Everton fans thinking Roberto Martinez was weird because he didn't drink ("who'd want to hang out with a Catalan teetotaller?") and one of my friends is teetotal, and other men think he's gay because of it. He's not. It's weird.

seepage

Quote from: Kankurette on May 02, 2021, 10:42:16 AM
A middle-class person necking bottles of Merlot is acceptable.

I'm sorry, drinking straight Merlot is not acceptable, whatever the quantity.

Kankurette

Hey, if it gets you pissed...

pancreas

Quote from: seepage on May 02, 2021, 01:08:16 PM

TrenterPercenter

I'm sure we already had this thread?! I posted the article from the Guardian about the middle manager that rather than realising she was drinking too much wine by having her garage converted into a wine cellar and nailing 20 bottles a week; her epiphany was someone pointing out she seemed a bit drunk at a wedding.

It is absolutely a class thing; poor people abuse things rich people get tricked into abusing them.

Retinend

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on May 02, 2021, 10:44:11 AMMy partner loves atypical fruits

of course she does

my partner likes a strong beer, but she's German so she got it with her mother's milk, practically

durchschnittlicher Alkoholgehalt von 5% hier

seepage

Quote from: pancreas on May 02, 2021, 02:12:09 PM
Petrus1982.jpg

I'm loath to say that's the exception that proves the rule. I thought they chucked in a bit of Cab Franc to take the edge off but apparently that's only in some years.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on May 02, 2021, 09:34:29 AM
There are beer drinkers who buy up all the most fashionable, cliquey, usually intensely strong beer, only to add it to their dragon hoard. There is a group who let the beer age, then only try it after it has matured, sometimes for a decade.

A very high percentage of this beer is undrinkable by the time they get to it, and gets thrown down the sink, meaning not only have they spoiled these delicious creations, they have helped these beers be unobtainably expensive for others through sheer possessive greed, and not even got to drink the fuckers anyway.

Slam their heads on an aluminium counter, ship them off to pick cabbages in the Ukraine.

As far as this thread goes, I am still searching for what the central point is. Are we saying that there's a sort of middle class loucheness, undeserved decadence and unhealthy laissez-faire attitude to alcohol consumption on account of the culture surrounding wine that lends it a default veneer of sophistication? If so, yep probs.

There used to be a rock club in Aberdeen called The Moorings, it felt a bit like the bar in Dusk Till Dawn but without the strippers. They prided themselves on having an expansive bottle menu. We ended up getting a bottle each of some 14% belgian thing. It was horridly tart. I think I was the only one who finished it, I needed a pint of tennents ice cold just to wash the taste out. We left shortly after and I ended up sicking it up behind a biffa bin drespite not really being drunk. The ice cold tennents meant my vom was noticeably cold too.

pigamus

Quote from: seepage on May 02, 2021, 01:08:16 PM

Right, I know this thread ain't about the actual wine but what's this thing now where wine now tastes like sherbet? I bought a cheap bottle of red and it was like they'd crushed up a bag of Refreshers and poured it down the neck, it was revolting

Butchers Blind

I wish I paid attention during adult life lessons.

seepage

Quote from: pigamus on May 02, 2021, 02:30:36 PM
Right, I know this thread ain't about the actual wine but what's this thing now where wine now tastes like sherbet? I bought a cheap bottle of red and it was like they'd crushed up a bag of Refreshers and poured it down the neck, it was revolting

A lot of people like sweet drinks, including wine. There's a terrible one called 'Apothic Red' which has a massive 16 grams/litre of residual sugar, so you definitely want to avoid that. A friend says it's his favourite, the baby.

Sebastian Cobb

Just realised I posted this in the Noel Clarke thread by mistake:
Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on May 02, 2021, 07:48:00 AM
Aint tried it but someone was telling me about the supposed benefits of tannin/sulfite removers like this https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07BR7ZLZZ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Not entirely convinced, if you drink enough booze you're going to get a hangover and although wine can be more unforgiving if you push your luck I doubt this will work any miracles.

pigamus

Quote from: seepage on May 02, 2021, 02:37:33 PM
A lot of people like sweet drinks, including wine. There's a terrible one called 'Apothic Red' which has a massive 16 grams/litre of residual sugar, so you definitely want to avoid that. A friend says it's his favourite, the baby.

Actually it could well have been that! Definitely out of order not labelling on the bottle if they're going to do that

imitationleather

pancreas

Quote from: seepage on May 02, 2021, 02:26:10 PM
I'm loath to say that's the exception that proves the rule. I thought they chucked in a bit of Cab Franc to take the edge off but apparently that's only in some years.

I had a Shafer Merlot once. I'm somewhat ashamed to say that I fucking loved it. But if someone had said it was port, I might have believed them.

imitationleather