Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 12:55:00 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Gig 'Whores : A New Hope

Started by non capisco, May 01, 2021, 09:17:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Mollusk

Quote from: peanutbutter on May 06, 2021, 03:04:50 PM
Had never bothered much beforehand but my plan pre-pandemic was to spend 2020 checking out various clubs in London whenever someone who remotely grabbed my interest was on in a place I hadn't been before. One or two a month until I can't be arsed anymore.

Which venues are worth keeping an eye on?

Village Underground is my favourite medium sized London venue. Seen so many great bands there - Deerhoof, CocoRosie, Tierra Whack, Flamingods, Oneohtrix Point Never - and the sound has never faltered, plus it's a big tall indoor brick archway so it looks fucking great whoever's on.

Also if you ever get the chance and you've never been before, go to Printworks. Absolutely incredible use of an industrial space. Saw Aphex there a couple years back and it was fuckin unreal, the lighting system they have will blow you away. They've got three as-to-be-announced shows coming up in the late summer so keep your eyes peeled!

niat

Quote from: boki on May 06, 2021, 03:14:18 PM
Bought a ticket to see Mike Vennart (along with Ben Griffiths and Joe Lazarus, who played on his latest album) play Black Sabbath's Paranoid album in full in August.  Support is a 70s and 80s metal DJ set from Kavus Torabi!

That looks great. The teaser version of War Pigs they did in the studio was amazing.

peanutbutter

Quote from: The Mollusk on May 06, 2021, 03:58:10 PM
Village Underground is my favourite medium sized London venue. Seen so many great bands there - Deerhoof, CocoRosie, Tierra Whack, Flamingods, Oneohtrix Point Never - and the sound has never faltered, plus it's a big tall indoor brick archway so it looks fucking great whoever's on.

Also if you ever get the chance and you've never been before, go to Printworks. Absolutely incredible use of an industrial space. Saw Aphex there a couple years back and it was fuckin unreal, the lighting system they have will blow you away. They've got three as-to-be-announced shows coming up in the late summer so keep your eyes peeled!
Cool stuff, added it to my RA list

Was at Printworks right before the pandemic and loved it, will prob try and grab a ticket on the week for one of the Redacted shows in September. Had a ticket for Aphex Twin and somehow forgot about the fucking thing...

turnstyle

Went to Teenage Fanclub at the Forum in Kentish Town on Wednesday.

Had to have a COVID passport thingy on your phone, or evidence of a negative test taken in the past 24 hours. Venue asked that people wore masks inside but...that did not happen. 2000+ middle aged blokes singing along to Everything Flows. If I don't get covid now then I must be pretty much immune.

Could see the guy in front of me texting on his phone:

'This place is full of old fucks. I must be the youngest person here by about 20 years'.

Yeah, well it'll happen to you too one day, matey.

Fannies were good. Clearly loving being back to gigging again after a long hiatus. Played a few songs off the new album, three or four, but still rammed in loads of crowd pleasers. The audience were definitely in the same frame of mind, and excited to be back 'avin it large'. There are many things you can replicate at home, but standing in a room full of excited strangers in the dark, paying £7 for shit lager and slowing rocking back and forth on a suspiciously sticky floor is not one of them
Spoiler alert
(except at your Mum's house, obviously)
[close]

Felt good to be back.

sardines

Went to manchester psych fest as I happened to be in the city. It was an organisational shit show but Bo Ningen were absurdly good.

First gig back is The Wildhearts in Brighton tomorrow. Can't fucking wait.

Edit: Just remembered that I went to see Discharge in Lewes 2 weeks ago so it'll be my second back.

AzureSky

Saw Nick Cave and Warren Ellis on Wednesday night, front row and shook Nick's hand at the very end, excellent stuff.

I've got a ticket for Faust at The Brudenell that's been lying around for 18 months, hope that gets re-arranged.  They're not getting any younger.

Head Gardener

The Mollusk

Going to see Caribou at Brixton Academy tonight. 5000 motherfuckers in that venue, obvs going in double dosed and tested. I am anxious about being in a crowd that size but I'm hoping I loosen up after a couple beers. I will most likely be overcome with ecstatic waves of joy and cry my fucking eyes out though, especially when they play "Never Come Back".

torn between hoping it's packed and hoping you don't get covid, Mollusk

The Mollusk

Yeah, got a busy weekend with friends so will be testing again tomorrow morning! I am still very cautious but at the same time a big part of me is like "I FUCKING NEED THIS". The gig's been rescheduled four times, I booked the tickets over 2 years ago!

glad to see a fellow Caribou-appreciator on here as Andorra and Swim helped me through a rather difficult time; it's "You and I" off Suddenly for me though

chutnut

A mate went to see Caribou a few weeks ago in Edinburgh and said it was sick, apparently he did
Spoiler alert
a 15 min version of Sun
[close]

chutnut

Recently got tickets to see The Residents in feb, pretty buzzing as I haven't really been to anything since way before lockdown. I think the most recent thing I went to was Current 93/Nurse With Wound which was about 3 years ago, and then Autechre which was another 2 years before that!
Thankfully the venue is seated this time as since those last gigs I'm now an old man

Pauline Walnuts

I've been to oodles, never so many since lockdown ended, it's all the postponed ones from like 2 years ago.

The Mollusk

Quote from: first skeleton on mars on October 22, 2021, 11:58:15 AM
glad to see a fellow Caribou-appreciator on here as Andorra and Swim helped me through a rather difficult time; it's "You and I" off Suddenly for me though

There's a few on here IIRC. His music is so beautifully organic sounding, it touches a special part of my soul (no, not THAT part).

Quote from: chutnut on October 22, 2021, 12:01:30 PM
A mate went to see Caribou a few weeks ago in Edinburgh and said it was sick, apparently he did
Spoiler alert
a 15 min version of Sun
[close]

We will likely get this as well, and I will likely cum all in my pants when it happens. 15 mins of just pure shuddering Bambi-on-ice climaxing.

Residents are doing Union Chapel aren't they? I saw them there a couple years back and it was very good, even at this stage in their career and with middling recorded output they still know how to be appropriately weird in some capacity. One of my favourite venues as well.

The Mollusk

Quote from: OnlyRegisteredSoICanRead on October 22, 2021, 12:07:37 PM
I've been to oodles, never so many since lockdown ended, it's all the postponed ones from like 2 years ago.

In the words of Dinosaur Jr, WHERE YOU BEEN?

Pauline Walnuts

Lolina, Arab Strap, Lolina (again), Lebanon Hanover, GFOTY, Grove, Gwenifer Raymond, Poridge Radio, goat Girl, Penelope Trapps, Art School Girlfriend, John Lydon spoken word thing*, Lucercia Dalt, Smerz, Linea Aspera

*"When I was a kid you could leave your door open and there was a real sense of community, not like now, now it's all blah blah"

chutnut

Quote from: The Mollusk on October 22, 2021, 12:12:13 PM
Residents are doing Union Chapel aren't they? I saw them there a couple years back and it was very good, even at this stage in their career and with middling recorded output they still know how to be appropriately weird in some capacity. One of my favourite venues as well.

I'm seeing them in Bristol so I'm not sure tbh. I don't think I've actually heard anything they've done after the early 2000s so I should probably catch up before I go. Although if it's middling then maybe not.. but yeah they must be getting on a bit now as well!

Kankurette

A friend informed me of the existence of Piroshka, Miki Berenyi's new band. They're ace. Going to see them next month.

Space are playing Aatma tomorrow and some mates have invited me to a signing in a record store in Bury. Fuckit, I'm going. Franny can suck it up.

SteveDave

I'm going to see Gruff Rhys supported by everyone's favourite depressed scouser Bill Ryder-Jones next Wednesday. It's in Camden though so I'm guaranteed to have a bad time.

DrGreggles

Seeing Gruff Rhys and Audiobooks tonight.
Weirdly nervous.

checkoutgirl

Got tickets for Black Midi in Vicar Street and Dub Pistols in The Grand Social to add to the William Basinski gig. Feels like loads going on in November. I got my second jab at the end of July and I believe the efficacy drops off a fair bit after 5 months and these gigs are 3 and a half months after the second jab so I find myself doing maths and trying not to worry too much. I suppose it's a balance but you just don't want to be the part of that balance that gets dead or hospitalised.

Wear a mask, bring disinfection gel, punch anyone who gets too close and hope for the best.

The Mollusk

Really love seeing this thread active again!

imitationleather

Squarepusher in Newcastle tomorrow.

I never used to be that keen on the lesser Jenkinson brother but now I'm old and nearer to death I like his music a lot more.

QDRPHNC

Found out yesterday that Feist was playing a show near me last night. Was going to get a last minute ticket but they started at $125! No.

peanutbutter

Was contemplating Squarepusher in the Roundhouse next week, never liked him much at all but gave him another try a few weeks ago and it was a totally different experience.

One of the clubs in Tottenham has it's second last big show before they have to close due to all the new shared ownership flats being built around them open up next weekend too, seeing as the actual last show (mid December) will almost certainly be cancelled at this rate I've been contemplating it too.

Probably go to neither, but it's frustrating that there was fuck all that grabbed my interest for ages and there seems to be a glut of things coming up now.

DrGreggles

Quote from: DrGreggles on October 22, 2021, 05:28:12 PM
Seeing Gruff Rhys and Audiobooks tonight.
Weirdly nervous.

It was fantastic.

Crabwalk

I was there too! First gig in 20 months and it was indeed fantastic.