Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 07:28:58 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Baby entombed in concrete

Started by abbot lau, July 19, 2005, 05:53:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

abbot lau

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/cumbria/4695665.stm

So there I was this morning, about to get to work and having a quick flick through the paper when I saw this story, and the details of it were so appalling I had to sit down, I was so upset.

Maybe it's because I have a baby daughter but it really took the wind out of me. More so than the London bombings, even. I think it was the horrible little details, the catalogue of suffering that the forensics turned up.

I'm not sure if they're going to bring anyone to justice as DNA tests indicate the parents are a couple who are both dead.  I'm not sure what else i can add except for the folorn hope that scumbags who do this kind of thing get their comeuppance.

Artemis

That is truly, genuinely upsetting. There are no words to describe the kind of scum that are capable of committing this kind of crime. To me it reinforces the random nature of evolution - that sometimes life is randomly given to evolutionary fuck ups who by any other measure do not deserve it. In this kind of instance, I have no problem with society recognising this fact and removing life from those who appear to have accidently got it without getting what else is necessary to live with others.

Cerys

I feel just a bit sick.  It's at times like this that I hope Hell actually exists, and that these people will be enjoying the attentions of a particularly pissed-off demon for a very, very long time.

Almost Yearly

Ugh. There's a right dearth of information there though. In the linked Jan 2004 article, Philip & Anne just said "nowt to do with us." What, and that's it? Oh, so it might be Anne's parents' child. And? Birth records? Taboo parentage, home birth, kept in the understairs cupboard of shame, victim of displaced rage concerning taboo parentage? I'm sorry, you can't lay this shit on me without a bit more to help me rationalise it. Whose fucking garage was it, for starters? 15 years isn't that long. Get James fucking Bolam and Co onto it right now.

QuotePolice reconstructed the concrete block in 2003.
Forgive me for finding that slightly amusing though. What, to jog memories?

Big Jack McBastard

Pretty fucking grim isn't it?

I remember this when it was first reported and I remember thinking what Almost said there, why the hell was it dropped when there is a definite link to the kids parents/siblings? I mean even if their not to blame, do the living Chadwicks have any thoughts on this? Do they mourn this kid?

All very suspect in terms of police work if you ask me.

hands cold, liver warm

can you imagine smashing a slab of concrete (presumably to make it easier to throw away) and finding a dead baby in the middle. The body must have just dropped out on the floor...........

horrible

Artemis

Quite righ though, AY, there's a whole load of info that is conspicuous by it's absence.

slim

Quote from: "Big Jack McBastard"why the hell was it dropped when there is a definite link to the kids parents/siblings?
Well, the article said that they couldn't work out the relationship concisely, so presumably there was no way of knowing who the parents were. It would also seem they have not much idea of what happened, therefore no way of proving anything, so they didn't pursue it through lack of evidence.

Also, I would imagine there are rules on what they say to the press. If they said, "Well, we grilled the bastards for hours but they wouldn't crack.", they wouldn't sound very sympathetic and considerate, would they?

What a horrible story. It's so sad that people are so fucked up things like this happen.

Ribbit

Quote from: "abbot lau"http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/cumbria/4695665.stm

So there I was this morning, about to get to work and having a quick flick through the paper when I saw this story, and the details of it were so appalling I had to sit down, I was so upset.

Maybe it's because I have a baby daughter but it really took the wind out of me.

No, I'm childless and it made my blood run cold as well. I can't imagine anyone being able to treat another human like that, especially one as helpless as a baby.

mothman

I've always hated the idea of violence towards children, especially babies. And now I too have a baby daughter, the feeling's been magnified a thousandfold. And I hated reading that. What the fuck is wrong with people?

El Unicornio, mang

Edit: to make my post a bit less graphic

It reminds me of a thing I saw on the child sex trade in Thailand, they found this girl who had been sexually abused since she was a couple of months old, she ended up very badly physically damaged, thankfully she is being cared for now.

I don't understand how people can be this sick, it's like people beating up old ladies or setting fire to cats, it totally defies logic. They must have a total absence of empathy, and utter cowardice to pick on those who are helpless. I'd happily see them sent to the gallows.

Bilko

I live in the region where this happened.  I first became aware of it through police posters on the bus I travel to work on 18 months ago.  I was disgusted at the crime at the time, what I feel now is anger and hopelessness cos the police will almost never be able to detect who did it, even if they did there would be little evidence to convict them on.

Quote from: "Almost Yearly"
QuotePolice reconstructed the concrete block in 2003.
Forgive me for finding that slightly amusing though. What, to jog memories?
They did that to show the media at a press conference the actually dimensions of the block the baby was buried in so we wouldn't have to imagine it, also giving a visual impact of the horrible crime.

Tom Tortoise

Quote from: "The Unicorn"It reminds me of a thing I saw on the child sex trade in Thailand, they found this girl who had been used as a sex toy since she was a couple of months old, these bastard old guys would take turns and by the time they found her, her anus and vagina were totally ripped apart.

Not sure why you mentioned this to be quite honest, it's made me feel physically sick.

Almost Yearly

Aw, he's a dangerously repressed homosexual, is all. Probably shouldn't be allowed to handle a gun.

PH - Well I suppose it depends what they mean by "reconstructed". Whether they put the bits back together, or made a fake one out of modelling foam, which again would only make me snigger when PC Jones brought it into the room and put it on the desk in front of the mics. Either way, a large cuboid block of concrete is pretty easy to conjure up in my mind. "Oh right, that sort of big concrete block. I knew I'd seen a big crane putting a big concrete block in a garage, but I thought you were talking about another sort of big concrete block."

Ah well, I spose I've gone on about that enough now.

El Unicornio, mang

It made me feel rather sick myself. The story that was posted made mention of the baby possibly being sexually abused, which reminded me of the documentary I saw, so I mentioned it. It was also a comment on people being unspeakably awful to those who are totally helpless. I think that child (who is now happy (or as much as a child can be after all that) and being taken care of) would probably rather people were aware of what happens to her and many others. "the child was sexually abused" doesn't really give the full picture. Sorry if it upset anyone.

Tom Tortoise

Fair enough. To be honest, I had the impression that the baby had literally been buggered and fucked to death, so what you say about her being alive still, made me happy.

But yeah, not nice to say the least.

Artemis

It was upsetting, Unicorn. Perhaps a little mention of this at the start of the thread could have helped.

Personally I try to avoid the news and don't read newspapers for the sole purpose of avoiding horrific imagery which is quite liberally used in places without much care being given to the effect it will have. I made the decision to do this many many years ago after a news report on Radio 1 included a staggeringly horrible detail of what was already a disgusting story. It made me so upset and angry that I decided my life would have been better of without such details in it, so I never listened to the news on that station again and in time expanded that to other news media because it was working so well. Reading the news online occasionally has worked a lot better for me.

In reference to this thread though, no real damage done. I read it, clicked on it and read some more so I only have myself to blame.

Cerys

Am I a sick person for wondering what news story prompted you to make this decision?

Ambient Sheep

Quote from: "Tom Tortoise"Fair enough. To be honest, I had the impression that the baby had literally been buggered and fucked to death...
Yes, me too, so glad to hear otherwise.

(Your post didn't offend me, Unicorn.  Seemed a fair thing to post in a thread that was already pretty horrid.)

mothman

It's things like this that make me feel like the entire human race is irretrievably. . . broken, somehow. That our whole species is totally fucked, and we're not prepared to admit it to ourselves.

Pinball

I completely agree, as would 6 million Jews (inlcuding many raped children).

Ribbit

Quote from: "mothman"It's things like this that make me feel like the entire human race is irretrievably. . . broken, somehow. That our whole species is totally fucked, and we're not prepared to admit it to ourselves.

We've always been a nasty bunch of fuckers, though. Our only saving grace nowadays is that we're better at uncovering just how nasty many of us are, and are more determined to put a stop to it. Two and a half months in India has shown me the advantages of living in a society that's often accused of being too 'politically correct' by twats keen to justify their own prejudices. Don't get me wrong: there's lots about India that is great, but the poverty that some people live in is practically rubbed in your faces, and there seems to be no 'safety net' for them.

Mister Six

Quote from: "Pinball"I completely agree, as would 6 million Jews (inlcuding many raped children).

Can you stop bringing up raped children as an aside in this discussion, please?

The Fanciful Norwegian

A poster on another forum I frequent had a pretty good summary of this whole story: "If you think about it, this baby had a pretty shitty life."

:((((((((

Clerk

Everything in this story makes me wish the police find this bastard or even bastards responsible and the find endless sets of stairs to throw the fuckers down.There is no punishment on earth that these fuckers could suffer which would compare to that which that poor child went through,I only wish there was but everything truly nasty would be over way too soon.