Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 05:40:02 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Before We Was We: Madness by Madness

Started by DrGreggles, May 01, 2021, 10:54:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DrGreggles

I just looked at the Saturday ones.
Nottingham would be so much easier!

gib

Lee and Chrissy Boy are in the chat thingy

Muel 2

Loved that! 

Third one is up now too in case anyone didn't know. 

DrGreggles

Jockice

Quote from: DrGreggles on May 15, 2021, 09:24:39 PM
I just looked at the Saturday ones.
Nottingham would be so much easier!

The reason I'm keeping my options open is that She Who Must Not Be Named is a massive Squeeze fan (she has fucking weird tastes,they're one of very few acts we both like) but our last two attempts to see them have failed. The first time we had tickets but she wasn't feeling well enough to go on the night, while we also booked one in London late last year which got rearranged twice and then cancelled. And Nottingham's more convenient for her. So we shall see.

Madness have never come up in our conversations as far as I can remember but she seems keen on going, so obviously she at the very least doesn't mind them.

DrGreggles

Madness will be 95% a greatest hits set - what's not to like?!
I rather like the full brass section they have these days too.

Jockice

Quote from: DrGreggles on May 16, 2021, 10:27:42 AM
Madness will be 95% a greatest hits set - what's not to like?!
I rather like the full brass section they have these days too.

Uncle Sam. And The Sweetest Girl. They were an absolutely impeccable singles band up to that point.

Brundle-Fly

They have only just put Uncle Sam into their set again after thirty five years. Cardiac Arrest too. Never thought I'd ever hear that performed.

DrGreggles

Cardiac Arrest is great. Uncle Sam less so.

Egyptian Feast

I enjoyed this so much I picked up Absolutely on a whim in Sainsbury's earlier. I've only ever owned comps by them and never listened to any of the albums, so I'm hoping there's a few bangers I haven't heard before.

DrGreggles

Quote from: Egyptian Feast on May 16, 2021, 03:34:00 PM
I enjoyed this so much I picked up Absolutely on a whim in Sainsbury's earlier. I've only ever owned comps by them and never listened to any of the albums, so I'm hoping there's a few bangers I haven't heard before.

Absolutely is decent enough.
One Step Beyond is essentially the soundtrack to that documentary though (and the best album the original incarnation of Madness made, in my opinion).

Egyptian Feast

Very good album, but as noted earlier in the thread, 'Solid Gone' is a stinker. I can see why they stuck it on the end of side 1.

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: DrGreggles on May 16, 2021, 03:47:06 PM
Absolutely is decent enough.
One Step Beyond is essentially the soundtrack to that documentary though (and the best album the original incarnation of Madness made, in my opinion).

I think Absolutely is actually better than One Step Beyond. A big leap forward in forging their identity and superior songwriting, from monochrome to technicolor. I went to a Bedders and Terry Edwards Q&A thing a few years ago and Mark said Absolutely is his favourite Madness album. This surprised me, as it's nearly always the latest album that bands say is their best.

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: Egyptian Feast on May 17, 2021, 12:58:12 PM
Very good album, but as noted earlier in the thread, 'Solid Gone' is a stinker. I can see why they stuck it on the end of side 1.

I think it might have been their attempt at another Rockin in A Flat (or Rockin in A.B, as most kids up and down the country pronounced it)

steveh

Really liked this series. Well put together, some good stories I hadn't heard before and great archive material - helps that as a band they got filmed from quite early on. A lot of music documentaries would benefit actually from stopping at the point when the artist reaches success. Point to be made too in how the comprehensive school system helped throw together a bunch of people who might otherwise not have interacted with each other to the benefit of all of them, which is less likely again today.

Good that they didn't skip over the issue with their far-right following, even if it did gloss things a bit and make out they had resolved it when it hung around for a lot longer. Remember a radio interview back in I think the late eighties with Suggs saying he regretted that they hadn't spoken out more against the NF in the early says and done more to shut out that element.

darby o chill

Quote from: Muel 2 on May 15, 2021, 10:57:29 PM
Loved that! 

Third one is up now too in case anyone didn't know.

Got a link please? Can't see it, unlisted.

Brundle-Fly

Shut Up! Fuck me, pop music used to be so much fun. Ok boomer... blah

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FVNppgz2GkY

Johnboy

Got my ticket for the Dublin date. Excited