Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 07:40:15 PM

Login with username, password and session length

"Democracy or fascism. May 4." (Spanish Populism/Madrid Regional Election)

Started by Retinend, May 02, 2021, 01:01:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Retinend

Quote from: Darles Chickens on May 05, 2021, 06:21:34 PM
Quote from: Retinend on May 05, 2021, 05:44:56 PMwhy should Vox not rise to Le Pen's 2017 peak of 21% come the next Spanish general elections?
The situation in France is different because of their runoffs system.  It's increasingly likely that Le Pen will reach the second round, and, at that point, depending on who she's up against, it might well be in the bag.

That's true, although I actually think its to the credit of the two-round system that it makes people think extra hard about their second vote: e.g. what happened to Le Pen once she had to do battle with the quick-witted Macron in 2017 R2.

chveik

she's here to shift the overton window towards the right every five years.

Retinend

This topic has sent me down a weird rabbit hole. I have noticed for a while this far right youtuber called "Tio Blanco Hetero" ("Straight White Guy") gaining a sizable following among the segment of antiwoke hispanohablantes. There seems to be a thriving, Sargon-of-Akkad type edgy-influencer ecosystem going on on YouTube, Twitch, and Twitter around this guy and others like him.

Apologies to those of you who know this already. Or think it's "so what". I find it worth mentioning this hobby horse of mine again, because as much as people want to dismiss the importance of the alt right and online radicalization as a flash in the pan, it is a trend that's emergent everywhere.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k4gYtnT6YE8
¿Pablo Iglesias acosó a mi novia? 🤔 | UTBH
167,700 views•Apr 9, 2021

"Pablo Iglesias has been harrassing my girlfriend?"

Retinend

What I should have posted from that channel is this, which was made in the run-up to the election:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dE7zwQGOVWM
4M: Fasc*smo o Libertad. Madrid opina | John Woke
124,283 views•Mar 30, 2021

In it, he poses as Podemos supporter "John Woke" and, through the character, mocks the concerns of the left re Ayuso and Vox, sarcastically calling them the "ultra extrema derecha TURBO"; saying that if Ayuso wins, "Madrid as we know it will disappear - like at the end of the Avengers"; and when asked "what's your definition of fascism?" says "anything to the right of what I believe". Asinine, humorless stuff.

Still, the video is interesting in spite of him (at least for people like me outside of Spain) as it shows what young people are saying in the capital, and it shows how lively the city is with its comparatively relaxed restrictions.

Bernice

A mark of the heterogeneity of the internet age that he is utterly indistinguishable from his anglophone shitheel counterparts. "John Woke", classic Podemos name, there.

God, these cunts are tedious.