Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 12:11:14 AM

Login with username, password and session length

New royal yacht to get go-ahead?

Started by Fambo Number Mive, May 02, 2021, 07:38:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bgmnts

The mask really has been ripped off in the past few years hasn't it? Pure dystopia shite.

Unsure if Brexit was just a symptom or a catalyst. Over ten years of these cunts. Half my life will have been spent under and especially shit gammon gaggle of gimps. Hate it.

Jittlebags

Wonder what the maximum penalty for sending a turd through the post is?

Butchers Blind

dissolute ocelot

Quote from: Jittlebags on May 30, 2021, 05:03:48 PM
Wonder what the maximum penalty for sending a turd through the post is?
As far as I can tell it's not illegal per se although it could constitute harassment if you do it too often. The Royal Mail doesn't allow you to send medical waste or "waste, dirt, filth or refuse", but if you have a legitimate purpose you can send stool samples.

Dr Rock

My worry would be that if a new yacht named after Prince Phillip is sort of related to the previous yacht it will inevitably try to fuck it. Also it will keep crashing into other boats.

Dex Sawash

dissolute ocelot

Quote from: Dex Sawash on May 31, 2021, 01:32:53 PM
Just pick one of these
https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-cornwall-57232394
I'm always seeing boats just floating around in the sea. Is it ok to take one of those?

Dr Rock

Daily Telegraph reader Joe comments

'200m is small change compared to the 1.3bn we pump into the BBC annually to thoroughly undermine our nation, monarchy and any semblance of patriotism.'

Yes I remember how the BBC totally ignored Prince Phillips death and doesn't force everyone to wear poppies during Poppy Week.

PlanktonSideburns

I'm fine with it as long as David Hockney designs it

Fambo Number Mive

Quote from: Dr Rock on May 31, 2021, 03:23:45 PM
Daily Telegraph reader Joe comments

'200m is small change compared to the 1.3bn we pump into the BBC annually to thoroughly undermine our nation, monarchy and any semblance of patriotism.'

Yes I remember how the BBC totally ignored Prince Phillips death and doesn't force everyone to wear poppies during Poppy Week.

At least people have some degree of choice regarding funding the BBC (although Joe seems to be living in a parallel universe so maybe it is different there).

You can guarantee Joe will be criticising any kind of spending, £200m or less, than he doesn't agree with. When it's for a pointless ship to wave at other nations it's "small change".

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Fambo Number Mive on May 31, 2021, 05:30:40 PM
At least people have some degree of choice regarding funding the BBC (although Joe seems to be living in a parallel universe so maybe it is different there).

You can guarantee Joe will be criticising any kind of spending, £200m or less, than he doesn't agree with. When it's for a pointless ship to wave at other nations it's "small change".

Joe is exactly 'the viewer' the BBC panders to these days. They don't pander to progressive Bergerac fans or Ghost Stories for Christmas aficionados. Just rabid 'made up citizen' cunts like Joe.

Dex Sawash

Quote from: dissolute ocelot on May 31, 2021, 03:22:55 PM
I'm always seeing boats just floating around in the sea. Is it ok to take one of those?

It is fine. The companionway locks are usually arranged to pop off without damaging the varnish.

badaids

Quote from: Wonderful Butternut on May 04, 2021, 12:14:49 AM
Hopefully they do commission a royal yacht, name it after Prince Phillip, and then someone blows it the fuck up.

The reason they want to name it after Prince Phillip, is that that once it has been built and named it will make it politically impossible to scrap.

That's why the Royal Navy's aircraft carriers are named after who they are named after - to protect them from Defence cuts, and not Illustrious or Invincible, which are the traditional carrier names.  No politician that likes his career, especially a tory one, is going to scrap a ship named after a monarch. 

Fambo Number Mive

QuoteBoris Johnson's plan to build a new yacht in the UK is set to fall foul of a World Trade Organization agreement struck by his own government last year, experts have warned.

The prime minister last month announced that he hoped a domestic shipbuilder would create the £200m vessel, a successor to the Royal Yacht Britannia, to promote British trade and industry around the world.

But while Number 10 has announced its "intention" to build the as yet unnamed ship in the UK, this would breach an agreement that Britain signed up to only eight months ago.

Ministers failed to exclude the construction of civilian ships from the list of contracts that must be opened to global competition when it signed the WTO "government procurement agreement" (GPA) covering 48 countries last October...

https://www.ft.com/content/c77b7aa1-cebc-47c6-a04a-d21eef2d1d38#comments-anchor

JOHNSON YOU PLUM

Pinball

If a foreign power builds it, I'm sure it won't have listening devices, and everything will be fine.

Fambo Number Mive

Been formally confirmed

QuoteA UK business-promoting "national yacht", reportedly costing up to £200m, is to be paid for by the Ministry of Defence, Downing Street has said...

Asked why the funding was set to come out of the MoD's budget - when the yacht will be classified as a trade ship rather than a military vessel - the spokesman replied that Defence Secretary Ben Wallace had responsibility for UK shipbuilding.

He added that Mr Johnson wanted the yacht to be built in the UK but would ensure the process was compliant with all international rules on procurement...

Business Secretary Kwarsi Kwarteng told Sky News the yacht would cost a "huge amount of money" but would act a "symbol of Britain".

It would, he added, be "something which would really enhance what we call our soft power" and was a "good idea".

I suspect this yacht, the name of which they still have not decided on, will not help Britain's "soft power" one bit at all. Perhaps they should call it HMS Garden Bridge to represent another time Alexander Johnson wasted lots of public money, or HMS Dangleway, which cost public money even though Johnson promised it would not. Maybe go for something related to the government's management of COVID such as HMS Trade Deal Over Saving Lives, seeing as that seems to be Johnson's attitude.

Any other ideas for the ship's name? HMS Gary?

I know it's coming from the MOD budget, but I wonder how many meals for parents having to go to foodbanks that £200m could fund. Britain 2021 - yachts over keeping people fed.

Butchers Blind

The British are coming.... in their yacht.

steveh

There's also the operational costs on top of the £200M. Fuel for that size of ship doesn't come cheap either.

Have they used that plane they did up with the union flag?

Dex Sawash

Phil's Flying Fifteen was called Coweslip, so something similar.

Should just do up a new FF, those are £25k or so

BlodwynPig

It was Cowes Lip, after the famous turn around the island where they do the regatta

steveh

Meanwhile, remember that refuelling plane that they spent a fortune on so it could be used to promote the UK? In the last five months it's been used for that purpose just once, in a flypast over Athens watched by Prince Charles to mark the bicentenary of Greek independence.

https://inews.co.uk/news/boris-johnson-brexit-coronavirus-raf-plane-jet-travel-voyager-zz336-1104200

Fambo Number Mive

Could now cost an extra £50m.

Defence Secretary Ben Wallace calls it a "floating embassy", but surely an embassy offers consular services - not sure this yacht will.

ONLY THREE UNION JACKS! GB News will be annoyed.

It looks a bit rubbish for £200m-£250m. Where is the giant sculpture of Nigel Farage astride a lion with Union Jack swimming trunks on? No open-air swimming pool for the Prime Minister and wealthy party donors to splish splash in as they sail across the globe?

Thomas

Same colour scheme as the Titanic. Top trolling from our increasingly Marxist shipbuilders.

Fambo Number Mive

I can't imagine anyone would be impressed by travelling on this yacht. It doesn't look that much more interesting than the ferry between Southampton and the Isle of Wight, although it's probably a lot nicer insider.

Like the Garden Bridge (which the media seem to have forgotten about) and the cable car across the Thames, it's another one of Johnson's egotistical vanity projects, but this time it's not just the residents of London paying for it but everyone in the United Kingdom.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Fambo Number Mive on July 28, 2021, 05:14:30 PM
I can't imagine anyone would be impressed by travelling on this yacht. It doesn't look that much more interesting than the ferry between Southampton and the Isle of Wight, although it's probably a lot nicer insider.

Like the Garden Bridge (which the media seem to have forgotten about) and the cable car across the Thames, it's another one of Johnson's egotistical vanity projects, but this time it's not just the residents of London paying for it but everyone in the United Kingdom.

Most superyachts look kind of like drab ferries once they get past a certain size it seems:
https://robbreport.com/motors/marine/largest-yachts-2837827/

I guess they just start sharing more-and-more with industrial ships, so lose the deliberately vulgar ostentatious aesthetic you see on the gin palaces moored up at Monaco and the like.

Fambo Number Mive

I wonder if it will turn into a place for Johnson and his ministers to live if Britain turns into Waterworld. A floating parliament where they can point their gouty fingers at people clinging to bits of wood and laugh.

Sebastian Cobb

I wonder how long you can go on a boat like that without running out of drinkable water.

I wonder how long proper vessels can.

imitationleather

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on July 28, 2021, 10:02:50 PM
I wonder how long you can go on a boat like that without running out of drinkable water.

I wonder how long proper vessels can.

Can't modern submarines stay submerged underwater for months and months and months on end?

So I'm guessing indefinitely.

Sebastian Cobb

I know they have things so they don't run out of air but I don't know what they do about water.

imitationleather

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on July 28, 2021, 10:05:10 PM
I know they have things so they don't run out of air but I don't know what they do about water.

Recycle it I think. <bleurgh>