Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 18, 2024, 06:34:28 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Finally played Arkham Knight.

Started by Glebe, May 02, 2021, 11:30:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Glebe

So I just finished Jedi: Fallen Order on me Xbox One S, and have finally gotten around to playing Batman: Arkham Knight, having inevitably failed to get it to going on my laptop... it's decent, but by fuck is it tricky. Ton of new complicated things with little proper explanation. The Batmobile is both fun and very frustrating. I've managed to get as far as Ace Chemicals in my first play-through, but it's blooming difficult! Getting the Batmobile on top of the roof and that was a right fucker... the challenges are frustrating too. Still, gonna stick with it. Few years old, but the graphics look great.

Btw. old thread here, me thread about other Arkham games here and related thread here.

Spiteface

Keep meaning to revisit the Arkham games at some point. Got that PS4 compilation of Asylum and City as well as Knight, but can't bring myself to sit down and play them again these days.

Weird how Arkham Origins has been neglected, though. I quite enjoyed that.

Glebe

Quote from: Spiteface on May 02, 2021, 11:40:24 PMWeird how Arkham Origins has been neglected, though. I quite enjoyed that.

Yeah, made by a different team apparently but I thoroughly enjoyed it.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

They really wrote themselves into a corner with the whole "Arkham ____" title scheme.

Knight was fine, but further evidence that more is not automatically better. I've not played Origins but, of the main three, I'd say City is the best, despite having a bit of a bollocks story.

Barry Admin

I got this when I had a Game Pass trial, and just couldn't be bothered. Played through the remastered versions of the older games a bit more, but I just think the Batman series was great at the time, and then... I'd had enough, really. The combat felt great when the games first came out, then just started to feel repetitive and kind of annoying.

Any good detective shit in this one? The crime scene analysis is warmly remembered here.

Glebe

Quote from: Barry Admin on May 03, 2021, 12:43:37 AMAny good detective shit in this one? The crime scene analysis is warmly remembered here.

Yeah bit of detective mode stuff, there's everything and the kitchen sink thrown in with all the batmobile stuff on top. Stuck battling a helicopter in Ace Chemicals at the mo.

madhair60

Thought this game was absolutely superb, but no interest in replaying it or any of the Arkhams. I did everything in Knight, absolutely rinsed it. I will probably never go back.

kalowski

Which is the one where you have to drive the batmobile through a sewer in a time limits l? Fucking hated that and gave up. I want to play batman games not driving games.

Thursday

I know it's the standard basic opinion, but Arkham Asylum was great and then the games got worse over times as the world's got bigger. Still a great series but it really suffer the standard "Bigger is better" approach to sequels. In fairness though I'm not sure what the alternative was. "More of the same, but slightly different somehow" probably wouldn't have worked so well either.

Consignia

I played City before Asylum and all told, I think I preferred City. As much Asylum was tighter, I felt everything else was more refined. It's possibly because it was my first that I favour it. Knight definitely did go to far for me though. It felt vast and empty and too many random gameplay elements.

Bazooka

Quote from: kalowski on May 03, 2021, 11:38:01 AM
Which is the one where you have to drive the batmobile through a sewer in a time limits l? Fucking hated that and gave up. I want to play batman games not driving games.

That's this one.

MojoJojo

Quote from: Consignia on May 03, 2021, 12:29:25 PM
I played City before Asylum and all told, I think I preferred City. As much Asylum was tighter, I felt everything else was more refined. It's possibly because it was my first that I favour it. Knight definitely did go to far for me though. It felt vast and empty and too many random gameplay elements.

I'm a bit torn - I do generally much prefer the more focused feel of Asylum but it definitely has some big flaws. The combat wasn't varied enough, and the boss fights were bloody terrible. Remember the killer croc "fight"?

falafel

They really did milk the batmobile concept to quite a surreal extent, which was inventive, to their credit, but also utterly jarring for me at least half the time. Fucking tank-based stealth? Fuck off.

Brilliant game otherwise. Gorgeous to look at. I remember thinking Nightwing was good eye candy, albeit in a somewhat grotty leather-bar kind of way.

Surprised to see it described as tricky apart fom the tank bits. As I recall I found the combat system was very good at making me feel skilled but usually it was by virtue of giving me yet another ridiculous combo or capability.

bgmnts

City
Asylum
Knight
Origins

Although, Asylum felt more like a Batman story if that makes sense.

Kelvin

I actually like Origins the most, I think. It's clearly the most derivative, but it's also the only one one where the plot and gameplay work side by side, with the bosses being hired assassins, and the levels being a logical ramping up of events, rather than a series of loosely related diversions. Maybe I wouldn't feel that way now, its been years since I played it. But I remember thinking Asylum, and especially City, were really sloppily paced in the middle.

Thursday

Origins did some interesting things. Liked how they'd handled the Joker and his relationship to Batman. Bat, actually a being a total arsehole for much of the game. The Christmas Eve feel of it was an interesting touch. Mechanically it sometimes felt slightly off, but yeah I don't think it deserves to be cast-off even though it was a different studio.

Glebe

Quote from: Thursday on May 04, 2021, 08:52:04 PMOrigins did some interesting things. Liked how they'd handled the Joker and his relationship to Batman. Bat, actually a being a total arsehole for much of the game. The Christmas Eve feel of it was an interesting touch. Mechanically it sometimes felt slightly off, but yeah I don't think it deserves to be cast-off even though it was a different studio.

I like the bit in the hotel corridors.

Mobius

The batmobile shit was just awful, I can't believe it was in the game and how much of it there was.

Other than that though all of these games are mint, look great and it's loads of fun gliding around and doing the piss easy combat that looks really smooth and nice.

Mister Six

Replayed Asylum and City recently after buying them and Knight in a bundle last year. Contrary to how I remember it at the time, Asylum is the better game, and certainly the better story - City is just too bloated and confused about whether it's about gang struggles, Joker's vendetta or Project Whateveritwas, and consequently staggers about like a drunk stiltwalker from one thing to the next.

The Riddler bits in City were much more interesting than Asylum, but there were just too fucking many of them. 400?! Are you kidding me? Finished the game doing as many as I could when I encountered them and still had about 200 left over for the post-game.

Gonna do Knight after I'm done with Wasteland 3 and Yakuza 0, I think. Some time in 2023, then.

Mister Six

Quote from: MojoJojo on May 04, 2021, 04:56:11 PM
I'm a bit torn - I do generally much prefer the more focused feel of Asylum but it definitely has some big flaws. The combat wasn't varied enough, and the boss fights were bloody terrible. Remember the killer croc "fight"?

Yeah, and then they redid it for the "walking across ice" bit with the shark in City. What made them look at the core gameplay of these games and think "Oh, walking extremely slowly across a flat surface for minutes at a time will be fun."

Croc's appearance in City is weird. You hit a switch with a Batarang that for some reason makes him appear, then he calls you a cunt and runs off, never to be seen again. Why bother?

Goldentony

Penguin battle in the first one with the shark is trouser shite blueprints

Bazooka

All that row,row, row my boat nonsense with pre-made ice or make your own ice platforms was horrendous, it's not 3D Zelda.

Mister Six

Quote from: Goldentony on May 06, 2021, 06:00:10 AM
Penguin battle in the first one with the shark is trouser shite blueprints

It's not really a battle. You just run off, get a thing that disabled his gun and punch him in the face.

The actual battle is with Solomon Grundy in the basement below.

Goldentony

ah the batman cops have arrived go cancel me

Glebe

Here's the thing about Knight, the tank battles... I've always been shit at shoot 'em ups and am really an adventure game exploration puzzle kinda person. So this is proving very frustrating.The helicopter battle at Ace Chemicals is driving me mental. Too hard too soon.

Glebe

I managed to get the helicopter's energy down a fair bit, but was still finding it a bit of a slog so just quit and started a new game on easy mode, fuck it.

Chairman Yang

Just started playing Origins and got to this Deathstroke fight, seriously thinking of chucking the fucking game. No idea why they signed off on such a boring grind so early.

The Roofdog

Quote from: Glebe on May 07, 2021, 07:16:34 AM
Here's the thing about Knight, the tank battles... I've always been shit at shoot 'em ups and am really an adventure game exploration puzzle kinda person. So this is proving very frustrating.The helicopter battle at Ace Chemicals is driving me mental. Too hard too soon.

I got stuck on that bit for a while too, been ages since I played it but I think it became easy once I released how good the Batmobile is at dodging, yes that's right a tank is really good at dodging, what of it

Glebe

14% complete, big bloody game... tricky bits, natch, but it's a lot more manageable on 'Easy' mode!

H-O-W-L

Origins is great because Gotham at Christmas time with a creepy rendition of Carol of the Bells is spine-tingling, sadly the game is very buggy and often unplayable. Though it's worth playing through once.