Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 24, 2024, 01:55:52 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Finally played Arkham Knight.

Started by Glebe, May 02, 2021, 11:30:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

beanheadmcginty

This thread inspired me to get Arkham: Origins, which is the only one of the series I haven't played (completed all the others). It's giving me a really weird feeling. There doesn't seem to be anything happening. I've got an objective (I think it's "find the Penguin" or something), but there's no indication of where to go next on the map or the radar. The only things I've got showing up on the map are those Enigma packs, the fast travel Batwing icons, and some comms towers that I can't get into. So all I've ended up doing is getting into random fights with street punks and trying to get those Enigma packs - although a lot of them I can't get because I haven't got the electro shock gloves. There's also been practically no stealth sections, which were my favourite bits in the other games. I feel like I'm missing something really obvious. All the other games I never felt at a loose end waiting for something to happen, they felt like I was being led through an entertaining story with the option of doing the odd bit of side stuff.

Egyptian Feast

My main memory of Origins is that I was sick to the back teeth of that Bane twat by the end. It's not that he was ever a particularly challenging opponent in any of the games, but in this one they brought him back for another scrap too many times and I was already fed up with his shit. I'll only fight him again if I'm allowed to kick him into a mincer.

Rev+

Quote from: beanheadmcginty on June 02, 2021, 03:58:39 PM
This thread inspired me to get Arkham: Origins, which is the only one of the series I haven't played (completed all the others). It's giving me a really weird feeling. There doesn't seem to be anything happening.

I didn't get too far into Origins for similar reasons.  There seemed to be a bit more detective stuff, which was welcome, but the pacing made it such an easy game to put down and never bother picking up again.  That and the sodding map.  A huge part of the appeal of the first two games was zipping about all over the place on your bit of bat string, but the layout really crippled your ability to do so.  Batman became utterly pedestrian.

Glebe

So I completed Knight, though I didn't collect all the Riddler trophies and such. Deathstroke tank battle was a bit of an arse ache, given that it doesn't save after you've dealt with the Cobra tanks.

Oh yeah, there was a funny glitch with the Cloudburst tank where it disappeared and I had to restart. Looking it up, apparently it's a known problem where the tank gets stuck inside the GCPD. Another thing, I got killed doing one of the Own the Roads checkpoints where I couldn't get the Batmobile over the barrier, but when I restarted the Batmobile was inside and I was able to use it, bit of a cheat perhaps but the game did it not me!

I actually might try doing some more of the Riddler challenges and have a go at getting the 'true' ending. Think you may have to do AR challenges and that to get get enough points.

Egyptian Feast

I didn't have to do the AR challenges to beat the shit out of Riddler, just collect all the trophies. It wasn't as much of an arseache collecting them all as in earlier games, but it still takes quite a while and though you do get the satisfaction of fighting him, the encounter itself isn't all that. The 'true ending' requires completing all side quests and finding all 243 Riddler trophies, BTW.

Mister Six

Just started playing Arkhan Knight, and good lord it's gorgeous, isn't it? And it feels so right. It really captures the exact essence and appeal of Batman, like it's tapping into some platonic ur-Batmannery that most of the films only skim the edges of. I'm even enjoying the Batmobile, despite being shite at driving.

Is it worth getting the DLC season pass for $20? Playstation store has dozens of DLC options, but most of them look like skins for multiplayer or AR missions, which I have no interest in. Is there a Catwoman-style storyline that's worth checking out? I kind of liked that in Arkham City (even though it messed with the pacing of the story). I wasn't as hot on Harley's Revenge, or whatever it was called, which felt very flat and tacked-on.

Glebe

I played through some of it again recently but I've kinda arsed cigs with it.

Video Game Fan 2000

Quote from: Egyptian Feast on June 02, 2021, 09:54:01 PMMy main memory of Origins is that I was sick to the back teeth of that Bane twat by the end.

My main memory of Origins is that the crocodile guy and other quicktimey boss events were bugged to fuck, and the boss frequently turned invisible when Batman grappled with them, making Batman the angriest mime in the world.

H-O-W-L

Origins is atmospherically great, and written really well IMO. But the game is buggy as fuck and doesn't do a whole lot to improve on City.