Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 11:41:54 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Doctor Who 2005-2017 : The RTD & Moffat Years

Started by daf, May 03, 2021, 09:09:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic
Quote from: Replies From View on June 11, 2021, 12:52:38 PM
Chibnall is the showrunner.  "Yaz has fancied the Doctor for ages" isn't something I would expect any writer to devise without the showrunner's instruction.

Anyway from that interaction Yaz isn't remarking that she fancies the Doctor - she's saying the Doctor is too enigmatic to connect with.  The main problem being that we have never seen the 13th Doctor being even remotely enigmatic ("I am socially awkward," being Chibnall's attempt to engineer this quality to the best of his ability), so of course it doesn't ring true and people are left thinking oh maybe she means something else.

It's not in the text, but it's definitely in Mandeep Gill's performance. Whether she's been directed to do that or Chibnall's looked over the rushes and not realised that the scene isn't being performed correctly or that he simply doesn't give a shit either way, I don't know. Probably the latter as I don't think Chibnall sees anything in a TV show besides "content to fill designated running time to an allocated budget".

mjwilson

Quote from: Mister Six on June 11, 2021, 03:01:23 PM
Weirdly, I remember Yaz's mum asking if The Doctor is Yaz's girlfriend in Arachnids in the UK and The Doctor "hilariously" saying something like, "Ooh, I dunno, am I?", but I just looked at a transcript and that doesn't seem to be in there, so perhaps I'm as bad as all these shippers. Or there's some Mandela Effect shit going on.

Don't worry, someone has done the work.

https://shipping.fandom.com/wiki/Thasmin
    Najia – "Are you two seeing each other?"
    Doctor – "I don't think so... Are we?"
    Yaz – "We're friends!"
    —Arachnids in the UK

Had a more relaxed afternoon and had just received Doorway to Hell, the collected 12th Doctor comic from the missing year (2016), so devoured it in one go up on the square near my house.

He gets stranded in early 1970s and lives with a family in Brixton for a few years. It's really rather good. The 'shock' bad guy is spoiled by the cover, but ... yeah ... 1973, stranded on Earth ...

Its the two one-shot comics I liked most. Really neat self-contained and enjoyable.

It makes me sad that DWM have dropped the comic for financial reasons, and there's as yet no sign of when it may come back, if at all.

Given that they kept it going all through the wilderness years I had it in my mind that the strip would stay in place till the day the magazine itself got cancelled. Hard to imagine at one time it was afforded such prestige that they nearly had the canon regeneration from McGann to Eccleston take place there.

Oh.

I didn't know that.

McGann's Doctor was the comics Doctor for me - every month, I bought the magazine and devoured the Doctor and Izzy (and Fey Truscott-Slade for a bit). The books did their things, but the Threshold could only work visually.

My Mum then got a RTD-era subscription,  so every Christmas I'd spend a good solid day catching up. The 50th anniversary special was a highlight.

I've recently gone back, to McCoy's comics - Ground Zero is a bruiser.

The comic kept things alive.

Quote from: A Hat Like That on June 11, 2021, 11:40:13 PM

McGann's Doctor was the comics Doctor for me - every month, I bought the magazine and devoured the Doctor and Izzy (and Fey Truscott-Slade for a bit). The books did their things, but the Threshold could only work visually.

And hugely influential on the rebooted show, let's not forget. RTD was a huge fan to the extent of lifting large parts of The Glorious Dead for The Sound Of Drums/Last Of The Timelords.

Catalogue Trousers

And The Flood for Army Of Ghosts/Doomsday. Only The Flood was better.

Well, its got Maureen Lipman in, so obviously.

olliebean

Quote from: A Hat Like That on June 12, 2021, 03:41:35 PM
Well, its got Maureen Lipman in, so obviously.

Are you mixing up Maureen Lipman with Tracy-Ann Oberman, or Army of Ghosts with The Idiot's Lantern?

Replies From View

Quote from: olliebean on June 12, 2021, 04:22:05 PM
Are you mixing up Maureen Lipman with Tracy-Ann Oberman, or Army of Ghosts with The Idiot's Lantern?

No.

One of the characters in The Flood (... Only The Flood was better. ... ) is clearly based on Maureen Lipman.

Small Man Big Horse

The first two issues of Jody Hauser's Missy comic is out now, I'm normally a big fan of Hauser's Who work (and her Faith comic is a huge favourite of mine) but this is fairly patchy. There's brief appearances from the third Doctor (where I can only presume the artist has never seen Jon Pertwee) and the twelfth, but the main thrust of the story is Missy pretending to be the Doctor and getting Roger Delgado's Master to help her with some mad scheme. Missy's impersonation of the Doctor is supposed to be funny but the jokes she make are repetitive and quickly start to bore, Delgado's Master is okay but over the course of two issues doesn't get much to do other than half hearted attempts at betraying Missy, while a brief cameo from River is bland. Hopefully it'll up it's game soon, but this right now is the worst thing Hauser has done that I've read by far.

mjwilson

Blimey, sounds like a Big Finish plotline.

Malcy

I used to buy DWM religiously for years and never read the comics. I've read a few of the Whittaker/Temnant Ines and they were ok. Last one I think I read was the 4 Doctors one written by Paul Cornell and tweeted about how bad the artwor was and he went off one. Arsehole.

Think the 13/10 ones are still going but not read them.

Quote from: Malcy on June 13, 2021, 05:00:17 PM
I used to buy DWM religiously for years and never read the comics. I've read a few of the Whittaker/Temnant Ines and they were ok. Last one I think I read was the 4 Doctors one written by Paul Cornell and tweeted about how bad the artwor was and he went off one. Arsehole.

Those are all Titan comics though, nowt to do with DWM.

With you on the Four Doctors though, it was total gash.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: Malcy on June 13, 2021, 05:00:17 PM

It seems Titan are only publishing one Who comic at a time at the moment so the 13/10 ones are on a break until after Missy finishes, but should return at some point.

I like Cornell (and met him at a comics con once where he was very friendly) but he does seem to be extremely sensitive to online criticism, you're not the only person I know who has a story along those lines sadly.

Thomas

In idle Whovian moments, I sometimes try to imagine: if I could go back to 2005 and give a fan a hint of what's to come, by showing them a single screenshot, what would most stun them? I think this is a contender:

GoblinAhFuckScary

Quote from: Thomas on June 21, 2021, 07:33:16 PM
In idle Whovian moments, I sometimes try to imagine: if I could go back to 2005 and give a fan a hint of what's to come, by showing them a single screenshot, what would most stun them?

maybe this for unexpected mondas fuckers plus oooh different designs oohh

does my nut in how shit the nu who cybermen generally look check out that constipated bastard on the right

JamesTC

Replies From View

Quote from: JamesTC on June 21, 2021, 08:00:23 PM

I've only just realised they used the Madame Tussauds version of Tom Baker's face.

Thomas

Quote from: GoblinAhFuckScary on June 21, 2021, 07:55:22 PM
does my nut in how shit the nu who cybermen generally look check out that constipated bastard on the right

The only post-2005[nb]well, post-1968, really. Never got on with the increasingly chunky and foily aesthetic of the '70s and '80s Cybermen.[/nb] Cybermen I've actively liked are the Mondas throwbacks. The RTD Cybermen made a certain sort of sense at the time, an army of walking Motorola flip-phones, but I don't like seeing them (save for the rusty, broken appearance in The Big Bang, which is a great use of the robotic design).

The Nightmare in Silver lads supposedly represented a departure, but they just look far more plastic, with an overdose of chest panelling and motorbike helmet heads.

Chibnall's Cybermen combine the steel of the 2006 boyos with the chunk of the '80s. Not into them, either.

Cybermen ought to be lithe and creepy, not stampy! Imagine one of the RTD Cybermen trying to slink out of a manhole. It'd get wedged. The motorbike-heads didn't look right in their Invasion homage, marching outside St. Paul's - and their Iron Man stylings were inappropriate for the theorically haunting image of Cybermen emerging from graves.

Mister Six

Christ, I had to think long and hard before I could remember which Chibnall story had Cybermen in. It was the last one I watched, and the climax to last season!

The show is so fucking shit now, my god.

Thomas

I didn't include the CyberMasters on my list because they are too poor an idea to comprehend.

BritishHobo

I still think it's amazing that Moffat so nailed the Cybermen at the end of series 10, in my opinion the first time they were genuinely scary in all of New Who, even though he had intended to leave after series 9. The fact that he'd thoroughly explored all he wanted to with the show, and felt it right to step away, yet he was still able to deliver such an original and terrifying take on such an overused villain. Bonus brilliance for doing exactly the same with the Master, in the very same episode. To me, neither of those villains have ever had a better showing in New Who, never been more scary, or more believable, or more haunting and tragic, after years of being quite broadly evil just because; and it's a real talent that he was able to pull that out of the bag even after five series and 8 specials.

GoblinAhFuckScary

Quote from: GoblinAhFuckScary on June 21, 2021, 07:55:22 PM
maybe this for unexpected mondas fuckers plus oooh different designs oohh

Ambient Sheep notified me that my picture wasn't showing up. it was meant to be this:

big agreement on how well they were used in the season 10 finale i LOVED those episodes to bits

Quote from: Thomas on June 21, 2021, 10:18:58 PM
well, post-1968, really. Never got on with the increasingly chunky and foily aesthetic of the '70s and '80s Cybermen.

Agreed with all, Dark Water[nb]and not Death In Heaven[/nb] and World Enough/Doctor Falls are the only good colour Cybermen stories.

Catalogue Trousers

Earthshock's still great fun, even if its fundamental shallowness does become apparent on repeat viewings.

Thomas

Quote from: GoblinAhFuckScary on June 22, 2021, 12:53:17 AM
big agreement on how well they were used in the season 10 finale i LOVED those episodes to bits

I know it couldn't be helped, because of leaks and dickheads and the needs of publicity, but imagine if that two-parter had been able to withhold its spoilers. The silhouette of the classic Cybermen gradually and unbelievably taking shape over the course of the episode, the shock reveal of Simm's Master at the end.

World Enough and Time is brilliant anyway - as BritishHobo observes, it's amazing Moffat came up with it during extra time - but it would have felt hugely eventful if we didn't already know those elements were coming.

Quote from: Catalogue Trousers on June 22, 2021, 12:38:53 PM
Earthshock's still great fun, even if its fundamental shallowness does become apparent on repeat viewings.

Problem with Earthshock is that Adric's alive for most of it.

Replies From View

One of the clever things behind the scenes of Earthshock was having Adric appear in the first episode of the following serial, so that anyone buying the Radio Times for the next week wouldn't be alerted by his absence in the listings.

As for the series 10 finale, I somehow managed to miss the spoilers and didn't even know John Simm would be back until the reveal within the episode itself.  Very chuffed about that, I am.  It was indeed exciting and it made up for knowing in advance that Arnie was a good guy in T2.

The thing that always annoyed me about series 10 promotional stuff was around the fake regeneration mid-series.  I couldn't get my head around why it was in the episode beyond wanting to create some regeneration footage for trailers, but we always knew Capaldi would be regenerating at the end of the series, so there would be footage from that and nothing about him having glowing hands would be a shock.

Replies From View

Quote from: Catalogue Trousers on June 22, 2021, 12:38:53 PM

Best bit is Matthew Waterhouse flinching in anticipation of the fizzing and sparking that would soon be coming from the console he's typing into.