Author Topic: Doctor Who 2005-2017 : The RTD & Moffat Years  (Read 1956 times)

Re: Doctor Who 2005-2017 : The RTD & Moffat Years
« Reply #60 on: May 04, 2021, 07:16:17 PM »

(I actually rate Boom Town. Its a good little episode while tying a number of things going on in Season 1 together)

I was borderline with whether to put it in my list of episodes I would be arsed revisiting. I remember it being a nice little episode but it is linked to the not so good two parter that preceded it that I am put off. I remember Eccleston being particularly good that week.

Zetetic

• I wasn't supposed to be around this long, so…
« Reply #61 on: May 04, 2021, 08:28:53 PM »
First, he (correctly?) works on the premise that the questions will always be more interesting than the answers.
I think the issue that I have with Moffat's tenure after a while is that the resolutions, more and more, seem to have almost no emotional implications. My memory is of increasingly struggling to find something to wonder "what would that feel like to go through?" about.

I'm trying to work out why any of the revelations about The Silence, for example, matter to anyone.

Or anything in The Time of the Doctor, now I think about it? It's most significant emotional implication is that the show isn't going to end that week, I guess.

« Reply #62 on: May 04, 2021, 09:00:32 PM »
I think the issue that I have with Moffat's tenure after a while is that the resolutions, more and more, seem to have almost no emotional implications. My memory is of increasingly struggling to find something to wonder "what would that feel like to go through?" about

The worst demonstration of that is Amy and Rory finding that the baby they had is actually River, and then that being basically ignored by the end of the episode. Not saying that the show had to turn into "Amy and Rory are sad now", but it needed a bit more attention.

Ambient Sheep

• RIP Marian Howard 1968-2021
« Reply #63 on: Yesterday at 12:03:56 PM »
For anyone who's missed it, the Noel Clarke thread now has this:

Crew from Doctor Who have now come forward:

https://www.theguardian.com/culture/2021/may/07/noel-clarke-accused-of-sexual-harassment-on-doctor-who-set

Clarke and Barrowman both fingered, but not in the way they'd like.

Includes specific accusations from junior members of the crew, with comment from RTD, Julie Gardner, Barrowman, and increasingly-grimly-hilarious shit from Clarke's lawyers.

I'll be writing about it over there, rather than here, but just wanted to give a heads-up for those who don't visit General Bullshit.

Lungpuddle

• I am no longer a jazz band
« Reply #64 on: Yesterday at 12:25:29 PM »
The worst demonstration of that is Amy and Rory finding that the baby they had is actually River, and then that being basically ignored by the end of the episode. Not saying that the show had to turn into "Amy and Rory are sad now", but it needed a bit more attention.

To be fair to Mr Moffat, he did improve vastly in this area in series 9 (albeit with Capaldi and Coleman instead) and no one seemed to like it other than me. There's also his solo episode of Sherlock 4 (the one with Toby Jones), which was "Sherlock and John are sad and angry and apart" and it's the first thing that comes to mind if I consciously try to think of any time when his stuff has disappointed me. Apart from the Wedding of River Song, although I can enjoy that one much more now it's not the latest episode.

« Reply #65 on: Yesterday at 12:44:16 PM »

Completely agree, I hated that whole development. Still feel that it was far too big and awful an incident for the show, which painted them into a corner in terms of the emotional arc. Naturally you couldn't show the Ponds going insane with grief, but the only other option is to have them come across as unrelatably aloof about the whole thing. Amy and Rory's actual baby being stolen from them is just so bleak and I don't think "don't worry, she grows up fine(ish) and is River" is the cure-all the show seems to think it is.

« Reply #66 on: Yesterday at 01:21:45 PM »

Includes specific accusations from junior members of the crew, with comment from RTD, Julie Gardner, Barrowman, and increasingly-grimly-hilarious shit from Clarke's lawyers.

I'll be writing about it over there, rather than here, but just wanted to give a heads-up for those who don't visit General Bullshit.

Thanks. Didn't know there was a thread on this.

Replies From View

• Rubbing linseed oil into the school cormorant.
  • Golden Member
  • Gargoyles have milk bags.
« Reply #67 on: Yesterday at 01:36:36 PM »
Completely agree, I hated that whole development. Still feel that it was far too big and awful an incident for the show, which painted them into a corner in terms of the emotional arc. Naturally you couldn't show the Ponds going insane with grief, but the only other option is to have them come across as unrelatably aloof about the whole thing. Amy and Rory's actual baby being stolen from them is just so bleak and I don't think "don't worry, she grows up fine(ish) and is River" is the cure-all the show seems to think it is.

I know that doing it off-screen isn’t always ideal, but in this instance one could argue that the mid-series gap works as an emotional cushion for the Ponds to come to terms with it all, and for the viewers to not require an emotional resolution because so much time has passed.  What we didn’t see on-screen was “never mind all this guff; let’s just get on with more adventures!” but people tend to see it that way because all these emotional arcs were not attended to in any episodes we saw.

My view is that something tricky like that is better left off-screen than done badly on-screen.  I know that this arguably lets Moffat off some hooks a little too easily, but think of the way it was handled by Moffat (the audience can imagine it, if they want, in the mid-series gap) and the way Chibnall would have done it.

purlieu

• Gertrude Stein said that's enough.
« Reply #68 on: Yesterday at 01:52:52 PM »
RTD, meanwhile, would have gone for 20 minutes of crying and bombastic sad music.

Replies From View

• Rubbing linseed oil into the school cormorant.
  • Golden Member
  • Gargoyles have milk bags.
« Reply #69 on: Yesterday at 02:11:58 PM »

On one occasion, Jenna said that she witnessed Barrowman “slapping” his penis on the windscreen of one of the driver’s cars, “thinking it was really funny”.

To be fair, if he was standing at for example the driver’s door and was recognisably slapping his penis on the actual windscreen from there, rather on the metal frame around it, it must be a fair size.  If I was attempting the same feat the story would be “Replies From View was standing at the driver’s door of David Tennant’s car, and he was squishing his genital bundle, comprising an indecipherable mass of cock, balls and pubic hair, in the gap between the wing mirror and the windscreen frame.”

And if they said that I’d be able to tell the jury it was just a tennis ball or something.  So last laugh and all that.

« Reply #70 on: Yesterday at 02:20:08 PM »
I know that doing it off-screen isn’t always ideal, but in this instance one could argue that the mid-series gap works as an emotional cushion for the Ponds to come to terms with it all, and for the viewers to not require an emotional resolution because so much time has passed.  What we didn’t see on-screen was “never mind all this guff; let’s just get on with more adventures!” but people tend to see it that way because all these emotional arcs were not attended to in any episodes we saw.

My view is that something tricky like that is better left off-screen than done badly on-screen.  I know that this arguably lets Moffat off some hooks a little too easily, but think of the way it was handled by Moffat (the audience can imagine it, if they want, in the mid-series gap) and the way Chibnall would have done it.

I'd completely forgotten about that mid-series break! Funny how much brouhaha it caused at the time, given the current release rate.

A good point and I think you're right, the hiatus must have been factored in on a storytelling level. But it does still feel a massive emotional development that is glossed over a bit too neatly for me. Series 6 is a busy old series with the pregnancy/River/Silence/Doctor's death stuff going on and the breathless pace is a double-edged sword perhaps.

Tags: