Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 05:52:53 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Doctor Who 2005-2017 : The RTD & Moffat Years

Started by daf, May 03, 2021, 09:09:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mister Six

Quote from: JamesTC on September 22, 2021, 06:07:06 PM
I feel like certain excesses such as the poor mixes putting Murray Gold's music on top of everything didn't come in until a little later.

Eccleston strikes me as too cheery to have just come out of the Time War. I've not listened to the Big Finish audios with him but some form of post-War Doctor stories with Eccleston to bridge The Day of the Doctor and Rose would work well. This is bearing in mind that The War Doctor doesn't remember the altered resolution to the Time War and still believes he killed all Time Lords and Daleks.

At the time, I got the impression that The Doctor was trying - unconvincingly - to keep up a facade of silliness and flippancy, while actually hurting inside. I think that comes across in the long bit of banter he has with Rose, that ends with him warning her to go away and forget he ever existed. Granted, Eccles isn't very comfortable when asked to give something a light touch, but I think the scripts use that as a strength, not a weakness.

Might change my opinion on rewatching the rest of his episodes, though.

Mister Six

Quote from: Malcy on September 22, 2021, 07:30:47 PM
Missed a trick killing off Mark Benton i reckon. He's such good value in everything he's in. Could have had him recurring as a Doctor expert for UNIT or something.

Yeah, I'm guessing that was to wrongfoot the audience, since he's built up as an important character and obviously Benton has worked with RTD before. Blam! Anyone can die, bitches! Well, unless they're in the opening credits.

Replies From View

Quote from: Malcy on September 22, 2021, 10:05:49 PM
I'd rate all other multi-doctor episodes above DOTD. A few great scenes and moments but nowhere near as good as the rest in my opinion.

You know that thing where people have staggeringly different opinions and it blows your mind a bit?

I suspect you don't because according to this we are complete opposites and we will never make sense to each other.

purlieu

Quote from: Malcy on September 22, 2021, 07:30:47 PM
Missed a trick killing off Mark Benton i reckon. He's such good value in everything he's in. Could have had him recurring as a Doctor expert for UNIT or something.

Fairly certain I watched Rose 10+ times before it aired. I sat up till 4am downloading the screener and watched it 3 times in that 24 hour period at least.

I remember burning it as a VCD (remember those?) so I could watch on my DVD player in glorious MPEG-1 quality. I also seem to recall everyone at the time assuming the opening title graphics weren't finalised in the leaked version as surely that wasn't what they were going with. Ha.

There was such a buzz around the show then, the anticipation of it coming back after so long was palpable. I really miss that feeling about Dr Who.

Deanjam

Yeah, I don't care for much of RTD's era, but I miss the excitement and enthusiasm around it. He was a great hype man for the show. I would watch shows like Blue Peter just because he was gonna be on it.

I stopped regular watching Who in series 8/9. It's interesting to hear such praise for series 10 as I only remember watching the first episode of that. So maybe I'll give it a go.

Overall I just want a show that produces fun TV. I don't need it to have hidden depths, or change the world. Just entertain me would be enough. The current version is just incredibly dull. Boring characters. Boring stories. Boring look. I'm boring myself just writing about it.

Deanjam

That's very surprising. Glad to see someone back with enthusiasm and talent. Hopefully it won't be just an attempt to redo what he did before. Presumably he's grown and changed as a person and writer in the time since he left. Should be interesting.

Gurke and Hare

Also, hopefully people won't be allowed to wander around the set with their cock hanging out this time.

Malcy

Holy fuck! Brilliant. Tell me it's not a joke!

JamesTC

Quote from: Malcy on September 24, 2021, 03:25:04 PM
Holy fuck! Brilliant. Tell me it's not a joke!

No, somebody really did wander round with their cock out on set.

Deanjam

Quote from: Gurke and Hare on September 24, 2021, 03:22:44 PM
Also, hopefully people won't be allowed to wander around the set with their cock hanging out this time.

Hopefully a better run production in regards to behaviour. Got to imagine it will be. Bizarre to think that there was no Twitter when the show came back.

GoblinAhFuckScary

WHAT IS THIS A JOKE???

no fucking way. not sure how to feel about this actually

whaattttt

Quote from: Deanjam on September 24, 2021, 03:21:57 PM
That's very surprising. Glad to see someone back with enthusiasm and talent. Hopefully it won't be just an attempt to redo what he did before.

big yes
fuck i hope not

Kelvin

Good news overall, but good god, they must be desperate. Has he only come back because it was either this or the show going off air?

GoblinAhFuckScary

i absolutely can't take another tennant. gimme an ecclescake please. i'd love an older lady actually. i said rebecca font before. please!

alice lowe! fuck that would be good

Malcy

I genuinely never thought he would return but can honestly say that this news has made me the most excited for the show since, probably since he left really. I wonder if this narrows down candidates for the next Doctor in that he casts people he's used before in a lot of his work.

Ham Bap

No more Daleks?

GoblinAhFuckScary

Jerzy Bondov

Fucking hell, never ever saw that coming. I'm not the biggest fan of his tenure but he makes Chibnall look like... well, like Chibnall

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Quote from: Kelvin on September 24, 2021, 03:30:57 PM
Good news overall, but good god, they must be desperate. Has he only come back because it was either this or the show going off air?

There might be something in that. Either way, the BBC must be absolutely delighted.

After five long years of Chinballs mediocrity, it'll be strange watching a version of Doctor Who overseen by someone who can actually write.

mothman

"Whah, suh! Ah ahm SHOWCKED and DEESMAYUD bah yoah vile calumnies! As thuh president of thuh Chicken Farmuhs Fedyrashun of Americuh, ah will be contacting muh congressman - a close personal friend - to insist yoah show will NOT be shown ovah heeyuh!"

pigamus

Quote from: GoblinAhFuckScary on September 24, 2021, 03:40:08 PM
this is like doctor who's New Coke™

A terrible mistake and a public relations disaster?

daf

Jesus fudgeknocking Christ - this is HUUUUUUGE!

This and the return of ABBA - what a wonderful time to be alive!

next doctor :
Spoiler alert
Lydia West
[close]
?

Didn't expect this. Absolutely over the moon about it. Literally fucking buzzing.

GoblinAhFuckScary

Quote from: pigamus on September 24, 2021, 03:45:45 PM
A terrible mistake and a public relations disaster?

rather

QuoteBy 1985, Coca-Cola had been losing market share to diet soft drinks and non-cola beverages for several years. Blind taste tests indicated that consumers seemed to prefer the sweeter taste of rival Pepsi, and so the Coca-Cola recipe was reformulated. The American public reacted negatively, and New Coke was considered a major failure.

The company reintroduced the original Coke formula within three months, rebranded "Coca-Cola Classic", resulting in a significant sales boost; this led to speculation that the New Coke formula had been a marketing ploy to stimulate sales of the original Coca-Cola, which the company has denied. The story of New Coke remains influential as a cautionary tale against tampering with a well-established and successful brand.

pigamus

Leo2112

A Russell tweet from one of the watchalongs last year:

https://twitter.com/russelldavies63/status/1251957695353061376

QuoteThis isn't quite so exciting now that we know 557 other Doctors could have turned up here #SubwaveNetwork

He'd probably be the best at tidying that nonsense up.

Norton Canes

Expect the next Doctor to be "a tall, bald black woman wielding a flaming sword" (as per RTD's Target adaptation of 'Rose')

Michaela Coel after all?