Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 09:35:32 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Jim Morrison and The Doors

Started by Janie Jones, May 03, 2021, 04:23:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Janie Jones

Really enjoyed these replies, thank you. I'm struck by the comments of several of you about how The Doors are a sort of late teenage phase (like Nietzsche maybe?) for some people. I guess I maybe got stuck there for various psychological reasons. Also they are so finite with a manageable back catalogue, it's easy to 'own' them. And all the mystery around the charismatic Mr Mojo Risin' is undeniably attractive and romantic, as has been pointed out.

On the posthumous Doors, I must just mention, not for the first time on CaB, Perfumed Garden by Ray Manzarek, an 'erotic' song so abysmal you will not, I guarantee, be able to listen to it all the way through. If you get as far as the middle 8 where Ray and Patti Smith allegedly have an orgasm, I'd be very surprised.

Quote from: daf on May 04, 2021, 10:09:16 PM

Yeah, that film ruined The Doors for me.

I always think of him as a pretentious oaf and probably reeking of B.O. and stale piss - well done Val Kilmer!

Most biographers mention The Lizard King's intermittent BO. Those leather trousers were never cleaned and he wore no underwear. Anyway, Duke Demondo has loads of intelligent comments on the Oliver Stone film, I'm hoping we can flush him out.

badaids

Quote from: Ham Bap on May 03, 2021, 08:47:02 PM
This is another good documentary, The Making of LA Woman - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fm53c_fSCJ4

Thanks for the link, I enjoyed that.

It was nice to hear some behind the mixing desk stuff, but there was a bit too much hyperbole. They spend like 10 minutes wanking over how Love Her Madly is lyrically and musically the greatest song ever. Which is a bit of a joke.

Also, I really enjoyed how the personalities of the other doors came out. Ray Manzarek is basically has this 'everything is totes amazing' attitude and was basically slumming it the whole time and was as likely to join the army or become a pro tennis player as join  a subversive band. Robbie Krieger is completely burned out to the point he is just a stiff and empty vessel that can barely blink unless he's holding a guitar in his weirdly dainty hands and John densmore (always my favorite) a drum muso  completely in Morrison's thrall.

And oh yeah, I just fucking knew that American music journalist with the Lennon specs, curtains and creepy perma grin  would be in there blowing smoke up the doors arse, and sure enough there he was. Just like he is in any American music program bigging up any massive American band because they're American and massive. Can anyone give me a reason not to hate him?

Johnboy

Yeh, he's like a drawing you would do of geek Ramones fan journo

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

I haven't watched that documentary yet, but from those descriptions I guess you're talking about David Fricke.

Get a haircut, mate, you look like Stephen King taking the piss out of himself in a '70s-set Saturday Night Live sketch.

badaids

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on May 07, 2021, 02:14:55 PM
I haven't watched that documentary yet, but from those descriptions I guess you're talking about David Fricke.

Get a haircut, mate, you look like Stephen King taking the piss out of himself in a '70s-set Saturday Night Live sketch.

He only ever talks about massive bands in the most obvious, un insightful and never in a critical way.

And he does look like Stephen King.

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Yeah, he's a hack. A platitude-spouting classic rock cheerleader.

wosl

[removed by request]

PaulTMA

Wouldn't mind seeing a rock journos stars in their eyes, Fricke could do Joey Ramone, Danny Kelly do Elvis Costello, David Quantick do GG Allin etc.

wosl

Ben Stud Brother could do Johnny Rotten.

MiddleRabbit

Late teenage thing?  That what The Doors are for - the perfect band when you want to get into the avant garde 60s and you don't know anything.  And they're perfect for that, nothing wrong with it either.

In a lot of ways, they're The Catcher In The Rye of pop music.  I have no truck with people loving Holden Caulfield when they're fifteen and hating him when they're older and them justifying it by saying how annoying he is.  He's supposed to be annoying to non-teenagers and enormously identifiable to teens.  That's fucking good writing, that's what that is.

Same thing with Jim Morrison, except he wasn't fictional, but probably should have been.

I feel ambivalent about them.  They're no Love though, I'll say that.

wosl

They're enjoyably of their time (having a bit of a thing for casual coincidence, I'm taken with the fact that Morrison died on the same day that the state funeral for the crew of Soyuz 11 was held).

itsfredtitmus

Truly fantastic when the carnival-esque organ is ringing, dodgy clown piano or maybe a motorikbeat (more like motor-bike) is happening upon weird LA scenes but ehhh otherwise (that's a tiny otherwise but it's enough to slightly tiddle)

Oh The End is amazing too and I'll defend the "motherrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr, I want to FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFfffffff-------killll you" line

itsfredtitmus

Strange Days is top 10 '60s song. It is Sgt. Pepper made Fellini juggler clown shit instead of vaudeville clown shit.

MiddleRabbit

Quote from: itsfredtitmus on May 07, 2021, 09:09:08 PM
Strange Days is top 10 '60s song. It is Sgt. Pepper made Fellini juggler clown shit instead of vaudeville clown shit.

I far prefer The Beatles, but that's a good point.  I suppose The Fabs weren't going for that Fellini thing on things like Mr Kite because they were going for that Vaudeville Victorian steam powered Edwardiana, because that's English psychedelia, and I'm a big fan - but Mr Kite's not among my favourites, I must say.

chveik

Quote from: itsfredtitmus on May 07, 2021, 09:09:08 PM

mimes and little people, just another flavour of dickhead

itsfredtitmus

Quote from: MiddleRabbit on May 07, 2021, 09:19:34 PM
I far prefer The Beatles, but that's a good point.  I suppose The Fabs weren't going for that Fellini thing on things like Mr Kite because they were going for that Vaudeville Victorian steam powered Edwardiana, because that's English psychedelia, and I'm a big fan - but Mr Kite's not among my favourites, I must say.
Sgt. Pepper has always reminded me of Phoenix Nights acts.
Kinks: occult vaudeville; Doors: juggler Fellini vaudeville; Beatles: Phoenix Nights carnival vaudeville (Beatles r da best)

itsfredtitmus

Quote from: chveik on May 07, 2021, 09:20:33 PM
mimes and little people, just another flavour of dickhead
best kind of dickhead! the best x-files episode is also clowns n little fellas and jugglers

itsfredtitmus

Weirdly I don't think of Sgt. Pepper or at least Mr. Kite as English Edwardian stuff even though that's what it is because in my mind that's Idle Race

itsfredtitmus

Christ was never aware there was a video for Strange Days this is brill it's basically just that docu Fellini made (I think in the 70s? So few years after) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eZWB0VF2vDI

this is from 1993 lol thought it was a bit suede

itsfredtitmus

They nearly approach that horrid Nuggets sound on some tracks on the 1st album but it's saved by Ray Manzarek and Jim

MiddleRabbit

I feel exactly the opposite way about that Nuggets garage sound.

itsfredtitmus

Quote from: MiddleRabbit on May 07, 2021, 09:46:17 PM
I feel exactly the opposite way about that Nuggets garage sound.
only really incense and peppermints to be honest :/ sorry

cosmic-hearse

Quote from: itsfredtitmus on May 07, 2021, 09:40:46 PM
They nearly approach that horrid Nuggets sound on some tracks on the 1st album but it's saved by Ray Manzarek and Jim

Always thought The Seeds sounded like The Doors' kid brothers (much like The Stooges to the MC5).

Love both though; loads of bands from LA seem to embrace a kind of end of frontier nihilism - see also Love, X, The Germs, Jane's Addiction...

PaulTMA

Nice to see a lot of non-judgemental Doors appreciation here.  They've strangely become an underrated band.  An album 'deep cut' not mentioned thusfar:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VFCCvaghUnU&ab_channel=TheDoors-Topic

I got this album when I was 10 and thought he was singing the non-existent word "mistiquèted" instead of "mistic heated", but it hardly matters either way.

itsfredtitmus

Quote from: cosmic-hearse on May 07, 2021, 11:26:43 PM
Always thought The Seeds sounded like The Doors' kid brothers (much like The Stooges to the MC5).

Love both though; loads of bands from LA seem to embrace a kind of end of frontier nihilism - see also Love, X, The Germs, Jane's Addiction...
The Seeds have one track that's basically The End don't they?

itsfredtitmus

Quote from: PaulTMA on May 07, 2021, 11:56:47 PM
Nice to see a lot of non-judgemental Doors appreciation here..
Pseudos. They'd love The Doors if he wasn't so overly-sexual and actually druggy and was a rare 12 inch psych Discogs album
Scaruffi was correct about The Doors and Eminem and nowt else

MiddleRabbit

There's definitely a green vinyl snobbery around The
Doors.  On the other hand, some of it's pretty bad.

shagatha crustie

Quote from: itsfredtitmus on May 07, 2021, 09:06:56 PM
Oh The End is amazing too and I'll defend the "motherrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr, I want to FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFfffffff-------killll you" line

It's THE WEST IS THE BEST and RIDE THE SNAKE... TO... THE LAKE that I can't abide.

PaulTMA

Any thoughts on An American Prayer?  Largely derided but I will always love Ghost Song, whatever it is supposed to be:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pgj6AIpImUA&ab_channel=candoanything654