Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 08:38:34 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Dennis Wilson's Big Fuck Off Snare

Started by Goldentony, May 03, 2021, 10:12:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bgmnts

Is it true Mike Love got shafted on songwriter credits with The Beach Boys? I suppose I'd turn out a weirdo if I didnt get my fair dues from writing some of the most famous tunes of all time.

PaulTMA

Quote from: bgmnts on May 08, 2021, 12:38:04 AM
Is it true Mike Love got shafted on songwriter credits with The Beach Boys? I suppose I'd turn out a weirdo if I didnt get my fair dues from writing some of the most famous tunes of all time.

Check the early-mid 60s songs here.  Got screwed out of the majority of them.  You'd go bananas
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Songs_written_by_Mike_Love

Not saying that is the root of his lack of perfection as a human, but try holding that together...

PaulTMA

He might be a touch insufferable during interviews where he brings up how he wrote the "round round" hook in I Get Around, wrote all the California Girls lyrics, 'Back In The USSR' influence etc. but it must have been hard to not be such a cauldron of simmering resentment

PaulTMA

Dennis Wilson also (arguably) saved Sunflower from record company rejection hell.  He must have felt massively fucked off when he felt it necessary to pull his contributions to Surf's Up.

Goldentony

ID LIKE TO SEE ANY MOP TOP MATCH THAT

QuoteDennis Wilson also (arguably) saved Sunflower from record company rejection hell.  He must have felt massively fucked off when he felt it necessary to pull his contributions to Surf's Up.

Having to put up with "Student Demonstration Time" being on the album was a double insult.

PaulTMA

Quote from: Satchmo Distel on May 08, 2021, 10:52:25 AM
Having to put up with "Student Demonstration Time" being on the album was a double insult.

Perhaps, it is total bollocks.  His beef was with Carl over 'Surf's Up' being brought back as the album's closer

PaulTMA

Just been catching up on the Feel Flows box set info on the Smiley Smile forum.  Tons of Dennis coming apparently, Rumbo sessions, stuff from that Hubba/Poops album thing.  Wish they'd hurry up and just announce it.

rue the polywhirl

If you could change just one thing about each beach boy what would it be? Brian Wilson - his mental health. Dennis Wilson - his alcoholism. Mike Love - his smarminess. Carl Wilson - his beard. The beard might just be the worst thing about non-classic era Beach Boys.

DrGreggles

The beards in Summer Dreams: The Story of the Beach Boys are far worse than any of the Beach Boys' beards.

holyzombiejesus

Someone just got these and posted them on twitter.

jenna appleseed

jenna appleseed

Quote from: holyzombiejesus on May 09, 2021, 08:35:59 PM
Someone just got these and posted them on twitter.

the pro Mike wing of Beach Boys reddit had a mini meltdown about that the other week, instead of just dismissing it it as a obvious joke item, they were being all outraged at the idea of people "hating" Mike and hand wringing about how unfair it was.

eta: I want a set.

Aparentally from here but it's not on the website
https://www.rideonsupersound.com/

There's also a song
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Fuck-You-Mike-Love/dp/B003JYQQ98

jenna appleseed

Made a thing re this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M_Ka4BpLzgk
(Carl letting Dennis front his song about the break up of his marriage on The Midnight Special)
video's an on/off obsession re just how fragile/fucked up/violent Dennis looks at various points during it.

kinda a Dennis/cab tribute
Thanks Revelator for giving me permission to quote.

-
genuinely happy about this thread (see avatar) just kinda disappointed it's wandered in to general Beach Boys chat.

(Shame the The Beach Boys/Brian Wilson are fucking brilliant threadseems to be officially dead now, time for a new one?

still get glorious wrong lols from the " Why didn't they go and live in the sea if they liked it so much? " tag - now in fake hand lettering art form

PaulTMA

Good way to identify people who leave Guardian or Drowned In Sound comments I suppose

Ant Farm Keyboard

Dennis and Mike indeed came at heads repeatedly.
Dennis shtupped Mike's first wife (they divorced soon after).
When he couldn't drum in concert (due to a broken wrist), he would act as a MC, which stole Love's spotlight on stage (and Dennis would also indulge in drunken antics like streaking)
He eventually married and had a kid with a woman widely rumored to be Mike's love child.
Then, when Dennis and Brian had their lost weekend, and had a bad influence on each other, Mike focused first on Brian (who still wrote the bulk of the songs), while Dennis was comparatively expendable. After Dennis borrowed a lot of money from Brian to buy cocaine, Mike's entourage had him beaten to teach him a lesson.

Mike Love's overall praise for Dennis in his autobiography may come from the fact that Dennis is dead, and Mike tends to follow the teachings of transcendental meditation about dead people. But, as the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame speech attests, Love is great at dismissing or just ignoring living people.

iamcoop

Sorry for resurrecting a three year old thread, I was going to start a new one but then did a search and found this one.

I have become completely obsessed with Pacific Ocean Blue recently. I must have listened to this record 100 times in the last week.

I'm not even a fan of The Beach Boys, I only stumbled across this after listening to a podcast about Charles Manson (of all things) which played a bit of this album at the end of one of the episodes and I thought "Oh that sounds interesting", and I remember my mum having this on vinyl so the cover is familiar, but my word. What a fucking lost classic.

I know we get a bit emotional as we get older, and if someone had put this on when I was 18 I'd have probably pulled a knife out on them, but I had to stop myself from nearly crying when I was walking to the cinema the other night and 'Rainbows' came on. Just a fucking joyous song.

Anyway yeah, just wanted to get that off my chest. Wish this cunt had of stopped fucking about in the sea after a litre of vodka and made another proper album.

dontpaintyourteeth

Never been able to find a way into that album. I'll give it another listen.

Goldentony

Fine with the bump as its always nice to remember this album again, glad you enjoyed it iamcoop!

Still listen to this album all the time, fucking RIVER SONG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

iamcoop

Time is just an insane track. This cunt absolutely fucking means it. It's being absolutely smashed and crying about someone that's had enough of your shit distilled into song. Love it. Can take or leave What's Wrong as for me it doesn't really fit with the tone of the rest of the record but that's fine.