Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 06:29:23 AM

Login with username, password and session length

A good use of COVID relief money? Squid statue

Started by Fambo Number Mive, May 04, 2021, 02:44:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fambo Number Mive

The town of Noto in Japan has used funding from an emergency Covid-19 relief grant to build a giant statue of a squid, part of a long term plan to lure* tourists back after the pandemic

The funds did not have to be spent directly on Covid relief, and the amount of the money spent on the statue is tiny, £164,700 out of £5.3 million. So it's not that big a deal really but still interesting to talk about.

Maybe a massive squid statue will increase the number of tourists in Noto. Apparently flying squid is the town's delicacy.

Personally, I don't think the statue looks very exciting, and I can't imagine travelling even a short distance to see it. I might have a look if I was going to Noto for another reason, but I can't see it helping much with tourism.

Is placing this story on the front page of the BBC an attempt to distract the public from what's going on in the UK two days before local elections? Or have the BBC focused on it because people like reading about bizarre things like a big squid statue?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-56978075

*this is how the BBC phrases it, making attracting tourists sound sinister.

bgmnts

Maybe they can attach vaccine filled needles to each of its tentacles to jab several people at once.

bakabaka

As someone who made a giant squid statue in my bathroom, I'd say yes, definitely a good use of money.[nb]Though mine only cost £1.99 for the colander and £15 for the buttons.[/nb]

Chairman Yang

Report about Matt Hancock spending £165,000 on a slightly smaller giant squid incoming in 3... 2... 1...

BlodwynPig

Dex Sawash

Quote from: icehaven on May 04, 2021, 03:22:27 PM
What?!?

Just when you thought it was safe to go... well pretty much anywhere, really.

mothman

Should have been this, it'd have got the punters in.

Pinball

It is a lovely squid statue. Indeed, I want some squid now. Hungry. (After the copulation of course).

Icehaven

That's hideous, so I have just cancelled my planned holiday to Noto.

Kelvin

Pinball

Good God, how hideous. Oh Lordy no etc.

And bottom left looks like little penises emerging, bleary one-eyed, from the ground.

bakabaka

Quote from: Kelvin on May 05, 2021, 02:59:05 PM
Needs more sex appeal

Is she emerging from behind a big, blind, black frog?

BlodwynPig

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh COVID R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn

imitationleather

idunnosomename

They should have a big sperm whale to fight it

peanutbutter

can totally imagine a stupidly large tentacle heavy squid statue bringing people to the town tbh, so much travelling these days is about grabbing a photo that quickly distills the location you've been to and a dumb squid statue should achieve that pretty well. Probably helps in some sort of regional battle between squid towns too.

Cuellar

Quote from: HIGNFYThe Tories pump billions into Test and Trace, Noto spend their cash on a giant squid statue: a huge waste of money on a symbolic gesture that provides no tangible benefits to anyone in the midst of a global pandemic...and a giant squid statue!!!

popcorn

bgmnts

I hope you aren't using covid relief money to buy an Apple Watch!

Glebe