Author Topic: The Crime Procedurals thread  (Read 312 times)

Famous Mortimer

• War - it's fantastic!
    • International Syndicate of Cult Film Critics
The Crime Procedurals thread
« on: May 04, 2021, 06:56:05 PM »
Because there's actually some news, for once.

CSI is back!

William Petersen, Jorja Fox and Wallace Langham are all returning as series regulars for the new show, and Paul Guilfoyle (Brass) is showing up for a few episodes. Petersen is in his late 60s, but given Joe Mantegna was still a field agent on Criminal Minds well into his 70s, it shouldn't be a problem. I've heard all sorts of rumours about the plot of the new show, but the most common one is that the boss of the crime lab is a woman with a teenage son who's addicted to something or other, and some big crime causes them to bring Grissom out of retirement, Sydal out of probably being in charge of some crappy crime lab somewhere, and Hodges from the office two doors down where he's been working this entire time.

I'm taking a break from New York and Miami so I can get to the right spot in Vegas so, when I'm watching them in order, I can get to the super-crossover episodes at the same time. I just watched an episode where Brass goes to LA to help his daughter, who's a junkie prostitute there now (after being a junkie prostitute in Vegas for a while). It stuck out like a sore thumb as a back-door pilot for the LA people (all of whom were given decently fleshed out characters, and were played by actors just famous enough to be in their own network crime show), but I presume the contractual issues got worked out and everyone came back to the mothership for season 6.

I'm going to take a guess that the ratings will start off great, then dip, and then they'll bring back everyone from the main show who's still alive, and possibly a few people from the other CSIs too.

Feel free to not talk about CSI, though. What's your favourite procedural?

chveik

• OPEN THE PUBS BOYS
Re: The Crime Procedurals thread
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2021, 07:15:25 PM »
i'm considering having a go at NYPD Blue (cause David Milch was a writer on that show). is it worth it?

mothman

• I don't know why
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2021, 10:26:25 PM »
It was fun at the time but got a bit repetitive after a while. Don’t know if it’ll have aged well or not. Hill Street Blues stands the test of time, maybe because it is obviously a period piece now. The mid nineties by comparison don’t seem that long ago...

bgmnts

• Depressed to the point of poisonous toxicity.
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2021, 10:32:18 PM »
They're gonna do a MAGA episode, a MeToo episode and an episode with a Russian spy.

Had big hots for Jorja Fox on that show as a wee lad though.

« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2021, 10:34:50 PM »
I used to watch, and slightly enjoy, the original CSI maybe ten years ago, but I think I preferred the amped-up daftness of the Miami brand.

NCIS was shallow as a puddle but quite enjoyable for a time, till it seemed half the cast had been replaced. Was surprised to find out recently they're still making new episodes, despite yer main man knocking 70 on the door.

Echo Valley 2-6809

• Part of no circle
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2021, 10:35:34 PM »
I've never seen any CSI, sorry. No idea why - it's on my long watch list, which means I'll probably die first.

I watched a fair bit of NYPD Blue when it was on TV and thought it was brilliant (Andy Sipowicz is one of the most compelling characters I've seen), but all the episodes were at the midway point so I'm going to do it all again from start to finish. Trouble is for some reason it's bafflingly expensive (I don't do torrents), so I have to keep putting it off. Shows like The Shield are free with Prime, but why not that?

Talking of The Shield - spoiler ahead but it is 20 years old - I'm on Season 3 right now, and mostly enjoying it, but I've just seen the episode with Dutch and the cat, and I still can't believe they didn't frame it as a dream.
Possibly the most stupidly misjudged moment I've ever seen in serious fictional TV, aside from the question of taste.

Is that scene a point of no return, or does the show manage to get past it? I'm on the verge of giving up on watching another 4 seasons.

Also I wish I hadn't recently found out that Michael Jace - who plays Julien the self-loathing gay cop - murdered his wife 5 years ago and is serving a 40-year jail sentence.

Mobius

• he who hingeth aboot getteth hee haw
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2021, 11:02:04 PM »
Talking of The Shield - spoiler ahead but it is 20 years old - I'm on Season 3 right now, and mostly enjoying it, but I've just seen the episode with Dutch and the cat, and I still can't believe they didn't frame it as a dream.
Possibly the most stupidly misjudged moment I've ever seen in serious fictional TV, aside from the question of taste.
Is that scene a point of no return, or does the show manage to get past it? I'm on the verge of giving up on watching another 4 seasons.

That bit was a tad silly, but you should definitely continue because it's a cracking show.

« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2021, 11:18:45 PM »
I love settling into a CSI:Original marathon from time to time but my cheap box sets are tucked away in Ireland for the forseeable future.

A couple of later series and a very early Homicide: Life on the Street(s?) are also there. I bought it on a  whim from Cex and quite enjoyed it. Captain Holt is very good. Can't remember much about it but should have a binge some time.

Anyone watch Southlands (again can't remember if that's a plural or not)? Very pro-cop but I think I watched all of them and enjoyed it very very much. Never see it mentioned.

Echo Valley 2-6809

• Part of no circle
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2021, 11:22:01 PM »
That bit was a tad silly, but you should definitely continue because it's a cracking show.

Then I'm back, baby! It was obvious what they were trying to imply, but even a cerebral weirdo like Dutch wouldn't have gone that far.

Hope they get past that as soon as possible, and that Mackey emerges triumphant fucks it all up.

PS  Does the guy playing Ronnie get any better at acting?

« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2021, 11:31:56 PM »
Then I'm back, baby! It was obvious what they were trying to imply, but even a cerebral weirdo like Dutch wouldn't have gone that far.

Hope they get past that as soon as possible, and that Mackey emerges triumphant fucks it all up.

PS  Does the guy playing Ronnie get any better at acting?

The cat scene was entirely due to Kurt Sutter, who also lobbied hard for Dutch - I wish I was making this up - to become a serial killer but Shawn Ryan wisely overruled him. This may explain the role that Sutter created for Jay Karnes in Sons of Anarchy.

re: Ronnie, yeah I would say so.

Personally, I think the final episode of The Shield is as good as it gets - a tremendously satisfying conclusion. I think that's partly because Ryan had a clear idea for what he wanted to happen and there was a good Q&A with him and some of the cast and Ryan talked about what he has researched for inspiration (e.g. Julian's situation.)

Echo Valley 2-6809

• Part of no circle
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2021, 11:58:08 PM »
Thanks. Didn't know about the writing conflict behind the Dutch incident. I'm trying to avoid diving into any behind-the-scenes stuff until I've finished with it. I'd guess Karnes might not have been too pleased about his character doing that - in the old days of weekly episodes on TV there'd have been a lot of mad cat-lovers turning against him, especially when he was being portrayed as hapless but likeable until then.

I'm not familiar with Sons of Anarchy but I'll mark it.

Tags: