Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 16, 2024, 10:18:05 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Bowie albums that are better than Ziggy Stardust...

Started by kalowski, May 04, 2021, 09:23:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kalowski

Hunky Dory
Aladdin Sane
Young Americans
Station to Station
Low
Heroes
Lodger

...and probably
Diamond Dogs
Scary Monsters

lazyhour

Yes to these except Young Americans and Lodger. I'm not Aladdin Sane is better, either.

Great thread, cheers

rue the polywhirl

kalowski

Quote from: lazyhour on May 04, 2021, 09:27:32 PM
Yes to these except Young Americans and Lodger. I'm not Aladdin Sane is better, either.

Great thread, cheers
Young Americans has a couple of turkeys: Fame and Across the Universe, but I adore every other track. I really love Lodger too.
Aladdin Sane let down by Let's Spend the Night Together, but Ziggy has Star and Hang Onto Yourself as the weak links (confession: I like It Ain't Easy).

The Mollusk

How in the sweet fuck is "Fame" a turkey?! That tune SPANKS

non capisco

Quote from: kalowski on May 04, 2021, 09:37:54 PM
Aladdin Sane let down by Let's Spend the Night Together, but Ziggy has Star and Hang Onto Yourself as the weak links (confession: I like It Ain't Easy).

Hang On To Yourself did give the world the sleng teng riddim though.
I don't dislike It Ain't Easy but the verses sound like Rentaghost or something.

buttgammon

Quote from: kalowski on May 04, 2021, 09:23:47 PM
Hunky Dory
Aladdin Sane
Young Americans
Station to Station
Low
Heroes
Lodger

...and probably
Diamond Dogs
Scary Monsters

Correct (I'd put it neck and neck with Young Americans and a notch above the others).

sevendaughters

only Statto to Statto and Blackstar for me, Manish

Brundle-Fly

phantom_power

Quote from: The Mollusk on May 04, 2021, 10:11:17 PM
How in the sweet fuck is "Fame" a turkey?! That tune SPANKS

A groove so funky that James Brown got jealous and nicked it

The Mollusk

Quote from: phantom_power on May 05, 2021, 09:11:20 AM
A groove so funky that James Brown got jealous and nicked it

It's so good. The slap of the bass whump... whump makes me want to strut down the street pointing at things emphatically in time with it. I first heard it on the amazing "Yeah Right!" skate video and the way the editing set those whumps in time with the skater landing tricks was awesome, I was totally sucked into it. Incredibly cool.

Jerzy Bondov

It's Hunky Dory, Station to Station, Low, Heroes, Scary Monsters and Blackstar. Thank you.

The Mollusk

To be perfectly fair to "Low", it's better than pretty much any other album period.

Thomas

I have never listened to Tonight and Never Let Me Down in full, so it could be them.

SteveDave

For me Alan it's-

Hunky Dory
Station To Station
The first side of Low
Lodger
Blackstar

phantom_power

On any given day it changes but on average:

Station to Station
Heroes
Diamond Dogs
Hunky Dory

Johnboy

There are three that are as good as Ziggy, wouldn't say they are better

Diamond Dogs
Heroes
Station to Station

shagatha crustie

People only bring Ziggy down a peg because of overfamiliarity, it's easily in his top tier. There are six or seven GREAT songs on there, towering by anyone's standards, including non-singles. Dunno how many e.g. Scary Monsters has but it ain't that many.

Neville Chamberlain

Obviously, we all know that none of his albums is ACTUALLY better than Ziggy Stardust, but if I were to pretend that any of them were, I'd go for this:

- Aladdin Sane
- Diamond Dogs
- Station to Station
- Lodger (I love this album; it's got a very haunting quality)
- Blackstar

SteveDave

Quote from: Neville Chamberlain on May 06, 2021, 01:58:23 PM
- Lodger (I love this album; it's got a very haunting quality)

It's him running on fumes but in a good way. Two songs have the same chord sequence, one song is "Sister Midnight" with different words, one song is "All The Young Dudes" backwards and then he tries to be David Byrne on a couple.

peanutbutter

Hunky Dory, Station to Station, Blackstar, Low, mayyyybe the Idiot; several of the latter ones would've had a chance if they were 10-20 minutes shorter too tbh

It is just that Ziggy is overfamiliar though, yeah.

SteveDave

kalowski

Tell you all what, maybe I am over familiar with Ziggy Stardust, but Hunky Dory is definitely better than it. I've got it on right now and I am glued... it's a brilliant record.

Unfortunately Ziggy Stardust is his best album, as obvious and boring as that may be.

Natnar

Quote from: Pearly-Dewdrops Drops on May 07, 2021, 03:11:48 AM
Unfortunately Ziggy Stardust is his best album, as obvious and boring as that may be.
It is certainly his most overrated.

lazyhour

Quote from: Pearly-Dewdrops Drops on May 07, 2021, 03:11:48 AM

It's not better than Hunky Dory though.

kalowski

And I am sure now that Aladdin Sane is better than Ziggy Stardust. Good as Ziggy is, it has nothing as good as Aladdin Sane (1913-1938-197?) or Lady Grinning Soul.

non capisco

I just wish his vocal was mixed higher on Watch That Man. Rather than a deliberate decision to have it murkier back in the mix like Jagger's vocals on 'Exile On Main Street' it's always sounded like an unrectified mistake to me.

Egyptian Feast

That's always struck me as weird. It's a great vocal and would have so much more impact if it came bursting in. Poor decision, whatever they were aiming for.