Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 08:10:43 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The Great Lost Barrymore Video

Started by TheQueensboroBridge, May 04, 2021, 11:31:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheQueensboroBridge

Wasn't sure if this was ok for a new thread or should go in the Youtube one so sorry if wrong place to put it or it's been posted already but...

I have looked for this video every so often since Youtube was invented and finally someone has posted it up. Hadn't seen it since broadcast but it is just as brilliantly horrendous as I remembered. Not sure what's worse...this or the other Accidental Partridge one with the Gospel choir. It's a close one. Just need the Puff Daddy cover to show up now for the holy trinity of Barrymore's crimes against music to be completed.

Barrrymore does the Backstreet Boys.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sbKH12XCuys&ab_channel=LiquidEffluent

bomb_dog

It's his hands. They're everywhere. All over the place. And they're massive.

up_the_hampipe

I've wanted to see this for so long. Almost in tears.

Malcy

Great stuff. I love when things like this turn up, usually when someone goes through a load of old VHS it's old eps of Corrie and other random shite. I wouldn't say it was all that Partridgey though.

Edit - Waaaaay more Partidgey this one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l_bIaF7P9WA

beanheadmcginty

Funnily enough, I got sent this link today. I think even Partridge would find it a tad racist:

https://twitter.com/franticplanet/status/1389229541256843266?s=19

TheQueensboroBridge

Quote from: Malcy on May 05, 2021, 12:29:07 AM
Great stuff. I love when things like this turn up, usually when someone goes through a load of old VHS it's old eps of Corrie and other random shite. I wouldn't say it was all that Partridgey though.

Edit - Waaaaay more Partidgey this one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l_bIaF7P9WA

Yeah its not very AP- Partridge would never lower himself to that. The Remission one is Partridge. The Backstreet Boys one is class A's. I think the BB is possibly more terrifying but lacks the layers of the Remission one. Either way. A treat after all these years. Definitely a 'finally clear that box of old videos from the Garage' job!

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Quote from: Malcy on May 05, 2021, 12:29:07 AM
I wouldn't say it was all that Partridgey though.

I agree. Those Barrymore clips are jaw-dropping, hilarious, but he was never a Partridge type. Barrymore's whole shtick was predicated upon an intensely uncomfortable negotiation between contrived, wacky, 'anything could happen!' anarchy and lachrymose 'but this is the real me' sincerity. Such a weird fucking act, but nothing like Partridge.

Incredible scenes, though. Thanks for sharing!

TheQueensboroBridge

Yeah i think you're right. Maybe there's a risk that anything cringe inducing by a light entertainer/sports presenter type is now being bracketed in as Accidental Partridge. But there's a nuance to the really good accidental Partridge. Everyone always cites Madeley as the ultimate example but for me those various Derek 'Tommo' Thompson clips are even closer to pure Partridge. Having listened to him on radio and seen him on TV over the years he definitely comes from that very particular group of sports presenter and corporate video minor celebrity like Gary Newbon etc who were so influential when they were first coming up with the Partirdge character.

Thomas

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on May 05, 2021, 01:50:13 AM
Such a weird fucking act, but nothing like Partridge.

I think if Barrymore were to kill someone, it'd be in totally different circumstances to Partridge.

Brundle-Fly

Butchers Blind

At least all that television work managed to pay for his swimming pool.

lankyguy95

People who say "Accidental Partridge" in reaction to videos are immediately worse than Barrymore in my mind.

poodlefaker

Quote from: Butchers Blind on May 05, 2021, 11:37:05 AM
At least all that television work managed to pay for his swimming pool.

That Coolio vid on Youtube actually has advertising links to swimming lessons. And the song has big "Facebook poem about the good old days" energy.

paruses

It's like everyone encouraging a drunk in a park before the police turn up and get him to have a sit down.

batwings

The worst thing he's ever been involved with.

The juddery "Jam" special effects in the first half make it.

dissolute ocelot

If there is every a droid rebellion and robots take over the world, this is what it'll look like.

Twit 2

Cuellar

Thomas

Quote from: thecuriousorange on May 05, 2021, 03:19:19 PM
The juddery "Jam" special effects in the first half make it.

Very much the day Michael Barrymore lost his mind.

Tokyo van Ramming

Sebastian Cobb

It's not as good as when Earl Sinclair sung that Biggie track tbf.

abobo

From the youtube comments

QuoteThe most shocking thing about this whole event is that he doesn't sing AWIGHT

TheQueensboroBridge

I've just noticed as well that having laid down an utterly criminal first take vocal of himself to mime along to he totally gives up any pretence at all and by the end is stealing lines from the one poor fucker of a session musician on the backing track who can actually sing.
I can't pretend my Nan's reasons for stopping watching him by this point were honourable but they were wise.

TheMonk

ADC TV Collection on YouTube has just stuck up a whole Michael Barrymore Special from 1987. Interesting viewing.
https://youtu.be/_pRSpfPXZBk?si=nPkcueGoYo8epYqv

Mr_Simnock

Should this be in comedy chat? It could turn out to be just as good as the little and large thread I reckon

TheMonk

kaprisky

Thanks for this.

I think I went to college with one of the background dancers! He definitely mentioned something about this at the time, and looking at the broadcast dates for My Kind of Music (Feb 1998 to March 2002), the timeline would sort of fit as we would have left college by July '98.

I may even have seen the Backstreet Boys routine on original TX, which is doubly weird. Just goes to show how big a draw Barrymore was back then.

Sebastian Cobb

had to chuckle at this grim youtube comment, the barrymore giveth and the barrymore taketh away

centristmelt

Well, the geo-political timeline does sort of coincide