Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 08:29:18 PM

Login with username, password and session length

'The Island' - new Dave show hosted by Tom Allen

Started by MigraineBoy, May 05, 2021, 08:46:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MigraineBoy

UKTV today announces Tom Allen will front Dave's new format The Island (8x60'). Across the entire series, four comics will compete to make their own personal dream desert island the best one. Each week, Allen will put these four islands, and their leaders to the test - who's got the best house band? How do you even judge that? And you may think you want your island's only drink to be Fanta Limon, but what happens when it attracts that swarm of angry bees you chose last week? Well, Kemah Bob and Jason Forbes will be on hand as they bring 'live' reports from the islands, to make sure nothing is missed. The Island is devised and executive produced by James Acaster, Ed Gamble, Lloyd Langford and John Robins, and produced by Super Best Quality Video Productions.

Tom Allen said,

At a time when so many of us have fantasised about living on an island far away from the people around us, I couldn't be more excited to be hosting this fun, original show whilst putting comics through their paces to demonstrate that utopia is a very difficult thing to achieve. I'm also delighted to be working alongside the hilarious comic talents of Kemah Bob and Jason Forbes who I've wanted to work with for years - it's going to be a lot of fun!

press release - https://corporate.uktv.co.uk/news/article/dave-joins-tom-allen-island/

holyzombiejesus

Has anyone ever met anyone who likes Tom Allen?

jobotic

Yeah I'll pass.

Wonder who the guests will be? First stop after Taskmaster.

MigraineBoy

It sounds like an 8hr long Hypothetical round. 

Icehaven

I don't quite understand, are they actually going to be making these 'islands' outside somewhere or will it all be in a studio just talking about it?

Quote from: holyzombiejesus on May 05, 2021, 09:08:21 AM

The only experience I have of him is when he was on Adam Buxton's podcast and he seemed alright, but then they were just chatting for an hour or so, I've no idea what he's like as a comedian/presenter.

Famous Mortimer

Lloyd Langford? He's one of those people who seems utterly unsuited for a career making other people laugh. His presence guarantees my absence.

amateur

Quote from: Tom Allenfun, original show

As rip-offs of Desert Island Discs go, this is probably the boldest yet.

imitationleather

It is true that I am Tom Allen. I live with my middle class parents and am scathing of amateur bakers.

Gurke and Hare

Quote from: confettiinmyhair on May 05, 2021, 09:21:51 PM
It is true that I am Tom Allen. I live with my middle class parents

No you don't, you bought a house in Chislehurst a few weeks ago.

Lungpuddle

Quote from: holyzombiejesus on May 05, 2021, 09:08:21 AM

I like him. He seems charming, witty, thoughtful... Maybe you're confusing him with his complete opposite, Tim.

Having said that, I watched Home Improvement quite a lot in the 90s but I probably won't watch The Island. The approach might be novel (?) but it involves a desert island and I saw Castaway at the cinema and it made my teeth hurt.

The point is, I heard him on Adam Buxton's podcast too.

up_the_hampipe

Comedians are mostly on TV now playing very pleasant games in light entertainment formats. It makes me sick.

I generally enjoy Taskmaster when I see it, but I need more spice.

imitationleather

Quote from: up_the_hampipe on May 05, 2021, 11:38:25 PM
Comedians are mostly on TV now playing very pleasant games in light entertainment formats. It makes me sick.

I generally enjoy Taskmaster when I see it, but I need more spice.

I guess due to the pandemic they've got to make money somehow, but I've just got so little desire to watch the same pool of comedians in a seemingly infinite number of riffs of the basic idea of Taskmaster.

These people have too many fucking podcasts as well.

MigraineBoy

Contestants have been announced: Ahir Shah, Sara Pascoe, Johnny Vegas & Ninia Benjamin.

the science eel

Sara Pascoe's alright. I'd watch it if she was presenting and Tom Allen was getting humiliated

Pink Gregory

I also like Tom Allen but largely in podcast interview form.  Don't think I've even seen his standup.

Poobum

I like Tom Allen, though I can understand that it'd be very easy to make a negative snap judgement about him. No interest in this though, Guessable is as much time as I'm interested in investing in this kinda thing.

dissolute ocelot

He's fine talking about baked goods but I don't think he's funny.

lazyhour

Isn't Tom Allen one of those stand ups whose material is written by someone else (who isn't themselves a performer, just a writer)? If so, I wonder how funny he can actually be off the cuff - ie, not just chatting amiably on a podcast.

Clownbaby

I've started turning over if I put something on and Sara Pascoe is a guest. She never used to annoy me, I don't know what has changed. Just sick of these types of shows though. I can see the set decoration now. An eclectic mix of ''quirky'' objects and house plants. Throw in a cheeky vintage telephone, maybe by the presenter's vintage armchair.

Tom Allen is a weird one for me, I always think ''oh it's him fuck sake'' and then he makes me laugh. But I always forget that he makes me laugh.

C_Larence

Quote from: lazyhour on June 28, 2021, 02:29:40 PM
I wonder how funny he can actually be off the cuff - ie, not just chatting amiably on a podcast.

From what I've seen on unscripted shows he's appeared on the answer is a resounding "not very". Unless you think saying unfunny things in a camp way makes them funny.

At this point I have to assume him, Romesh Ranganathan, Katherine Ryan and Rylan (although out of all those I find he's the least objectionable) are trying to torment someone into giving them their childhood teddy bears back.

aunt mildred

I've warmed to Romesh since his travel shows which I thought were quite decent, he's come a long way from his 'my kids are pricks' routine, he still does a load of shit though.

The rest of them mentioned in this thread can fuck off imho, instant remote flick.