Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 05:14:52 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The Looney Tunes Show (2011) aka Furry Seinfeld

Started by RetroRobot, May 05, 2021, 10:29:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RetroRobot

10 years already? Bloody hell.

Just wanted to make a thread about a kids show from 10 years ago because it was underrated at the time and such a bizarre idea. The Looney Tunes characters in a sitcom format, but unlike when the Muppets did it, it wasn't shit.
Some of the jokes honestly make me think it was designed as Simpsons-y tea time viewing and the show would have probably lasted longer if it had been aired that way.
Daffy's various schemes are my favourite parts, with the DMV episode probably being my favourite.
Anyone else think much of this show?

madhair60

I found the episodes I saw weirdly sedate, if not unamusing at times. I don't really understand why it had to be Bugs and Daffy... they're not sitcom characters, they don't work as sitcom characters. Based on what I saw it was gently enjoyable and that's not really what I want or expect from the Looney Tunes.

Looney Tunes: Back in Action, now that's underrated.

letsgobrian

Not a fan. The writing trapped the characters in the proscenium arch like much TV cartoon writing, and these aren't the characters to do that with.

Have been enjoying what I've seen of Peter Browngardt's Looney Tunes Cartoons. Especially their Daffy Duck who is closer to Bob Clampett lunacy than Chuck Jones selfishness. Eric Bauza is a much better Daffy voice than Jeff Bergman too.

Bernice

What do you mean, exactly by "trapped in the proscenium arch"? I quite like the ring of the phrase but I'm not sure what you're getting at - amusingly, I googled it and the only result was another post of yours.

letsgobrian

Quote from: Bernice on May 05, 2021, 02:40:49 PM
What do you mean, exactly by "trapped in the proscenium arch"? I quite like the ring of the phrase but I'm not sure what you're getting at - amusingly, I googled it and the only result was another post of yours.

Positioning cartoon characters like they standing at the front of the stage in a play. I think I nicked the term off an early Simpsons commentary.

Here's the super egregious example from 2012 Simpsons that I always have in my mind.

There's no energy to they layout, it's just there to deliver "funny" lines written by people who can't draw.

Bernice

Oh cool, that's a good observation and all. Knicking that.

RetroRobot

Quote from: letsgobrian on May 05, 2021, 02:35:24 PM
Not a fan. The writing trapped the characters in the proscenium arch like much TV cartoon writing, and these aren't the characters to do that with.

Have been enjoying what I've seen of Peter Browngardt's Looney Tunes Cartoons. Especially their Daffy Duck who is closer to Bob Clampett lunacy than Chuck Jones selfishness. Eric Bauza is a much better Daffy voice than Jeff Bergman too.

I honestly really thought the characters worked well in the setting. Looney characters in mundane situations and all that.  Looney Tunes Cartoons is fantastic stuff though, I have to agree.
The pilot to The Looney Tunes Show was a lot more in line with the original shorts but I don't think a 2011 TV animation budget would have pulled it off well: see also, any made for TV Tom and Jerry stuff. Maybe that's why they went with a sitcom?

Quote from: letsgobrian on May 05, 2021, 03:08:52 PM
Positioning cartoon characters like they standing at the front of the stage in a play. I think I nicked the term off an early Simpsons commentary.

Here's the super egregious example from 2012 Simpsons that I always have in my mind.

There's no energy to they layout, it's just there to deliver "funny" lines written by people who can't draw.

Simpsons can be guilty of this, but Seth MacFarlane's shows are major, irritating culprits of this.

idunnosomename

Never saw very much but I though Kristen Wiig as Lola Bunny was a very funny character performance.

Maybe Duck Dodgers in the 24½th Century was the better modern Looney Tunes show. Very based on celeb guests (Tom Jones and The Flaming Lips did the theme toon, and infamously Dave Mustaine of Megadeth was in one episode) and specific parody (there was an episode that sent up Samurai Jack that was hilarious) so might not be as funny overall as I remember