Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 12:09:22 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Things Heard and Seen - Netflix release

Started by Bently Sheds, May 06, 2021, 09:16:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bently Sheds

Beautiful and talented art restorer Amanda Seyfried is forced to quit her high flying art restoration career in New York and move to some backwater armpit of a town for the sake of her husband James "Thin Boris Johnson" Norton's blossoming college lecturer career. The house they move into holds a dark secret, but will beautiful and talented Amanda work out what's going on before it's too late?

There are some neat twists in the story, it's sufficiently spooky in places. CaB favourite Rhea Seehorn does her usual quality work with a fairly small part and it's nice to see Karen Allen still getting work. The film's 1970s setting nicely evokes the atmosphere of horror films of that era like The Omen & Don't Look Now.

However, the whole thing just collapses in the last 20 minutes. Perhaps I was in a bad mood when I watched it, but it felt kind of unfinished and the ending was either rushed, or missed the artily pretentious target it was aiming for.

Anyone else seen this?

Icehaven

Yes and totally agree about the ending, they reeeally didn't know how to finish it did they? It would even have been better as one of those slightly frustrating ambiguous 'was it ghosts or was it all in their minds?' cop-outs, but it seemed to just stop rather than conclude. 6/10.

Blue Jam

Not really into horror films but I was going to give this a go due to the presence of the excellent Racy Horn. How small is her part exactly?

Bently Sheds

She's onscreen for about a quarter of the film despite the fact her character is one of the most important in the story. The film is worth a go if you have nothing else to be getting on with, just don't get your hopes up for a blockbuster ending.

Icehaven

Quote from: Blue Jam on May 09, 2021, 11:21:50 AM
Not really into horror films but I was going to give this a go due to the presence of the excellent Racy Horn. How small is her part exactly?

She's not a lead but she's got a fair amount of screen time and her character has some significance to the plot. It's not a cameo/blink-and-you'll-miss-it part.

Blue Jam

Might give it a go when I'm cooking dinner today then, cheers.

Blue Jam

Found this quite enjoyable in the end. I just watched it as a drama about people and relationships rather than as a horror film, the ghost stuff was the least interesting part for me and I'll admit my interest waned in the last 20 minutes. Racy was also good doing her strong/vulnerable thing as Brunette Kim Wexler, complete with
Spoiler alert
car crash
[close]
. Was a nice way to spend a sunday afternoon, thanks for the recommendations.