Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,559,182
  • Total Topics: 106,348
  • Online Today: 719
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 05:00:21 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Greggs Iceland veg bake glass fear recall

Started by Fambo Number Mive, May 06, 2021, 03:28:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fambo Number Mive

QuoteBakery giant Greggs is recalling one of its products over concerns it may contain small pieces of green glass.

The vegetable bakes affected are sold in packs of two and only in Iceland stores.

The Food Standards Agency said the possible presence of glass made the product unsafe to eat.

It added that products sold in Greggs shops were not affected. The bakery chain, which is based in Newcastle, has apologised for "any inconvenience"...

The firm said the best before dates on affected packs were: 15 August 2021, 28 August 2021, 11 September 2021, 12 September 2021 and 26 September 2021.

Customers are advised not to eat the bakes but to return them to the shop from which they were bought for a refund.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-tyne-57009370

I like how customers are advised not to eat bakes which might contain green glass, as if some people might be wavering.

Not sure if any of you shop at Iceland but thought you might like to know.

Fr.Bigley

No one that shops at Iceland has eaten vegetable anything..I'm sure it'll be fine.

imitationleather

Bit of glass in your diet never hurt anyone.

Fambo Number Mive

Reminds me of that episode of Friday Night Dinner
Spoiler alert
when the boys brought their girlfriends home
[close]

Spoilered for anyone who hasn't seen the last series.

Fr.Bigley

I had a mate that would do his "Big shop" at Iceland. this was his list Verbatim:

1. A fortnights worth of Chicago town deep pan pizzas (Misc flavours)
2. A selection of Mr Kipling's cakes (Usually bakewell tarts and french fancies)
3. 6 litres of Frosty Jacks.

End of list.

imitationleather

Quote from: Fr.Bigley on May 06, 2021, 03:35:15 PM
I had a mate that would do his "Big shop" at Iceland. this was his list Verbatim:

2. A selection of Mr Kipling's cakes (Usually bakewell tarts and french fancies)

End of list.

That Frosty Jacks would barely last the bus journey home.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Quote from: Fr.Bigley on May 06, 2021, 03:29:53 PM
No one that shops at Iceland has eaten vegetable anything..I'm sure it'll be fine.

Rather outdated remark. They do some freakshow tier creations like tikka masala pizza and so on, but these days the vegan section is very good and counter to their name they sell fresh fruit and veg, along with industrial sized bags of frozen cauliflower and the like.

Fr.Bigley

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on May 06, 2021, 03:40:16 PM
Rather outdated remark. They do some freakshow tier creations like tikka masala pizza and so on, but these days the vegan section is very good and counter to their name they sell fresh fruit and veg, along with industrial sized bags of frozen cauliflower and the like.

Literally not been there in over a decade, so you're probs right. It just sold some right old shit back then.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Fr.Bigley on May 06, 2021, 03:35:15 PM

End of list.

Did the typical student thing and pissed away most of my loan one term so had to go on an economy drive. Lived off pasta bakes (smartprice pasta mixed with smartprice bolognaise sauce and water, topped with cheese) and had a weekly bottle of vodka and squash to smash at the weekend for a treat.

Captain Z

I would have thought the more serious concern for Greggs Iceland products right now is that they might contain bits of lava.

pancreas

Who is stockpiling Greggs to the extent that they have some to take back for a refund?

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Quote from: pancreas on May 06, 2021, 05:33:25 PM
Who is stockpiling Greggs to the extent that they have some to take back for a refund?

Are you sure you have been around Bishop Auckland?

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

If only Fambo was around to warn us when they started finding bits of glass in Nerds in the early 90's.

imitationleather

Quote from: Elderly Sumo Prophecy on May 06, 2021, 06:05:44 PM
If only Fambo was around to warn us when they started finding bits of glass in Nerds in the early 90's.

You were that nerd with bits of glass in him, weren't you?

JesusAndYourBush

I had no idea Greggs sold its wares in Iceland stores, I assume you had to go into a Greggs for that.

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

Quote from: imitationleather on May 06, 2021, 06:06:59 PM
You were that nerd with bits of glass in him, weren't you?

Yes. The bullies shoved the glass into me.

imitationleather

Fr.Bigley

On a different note but Greggs related, I once watched a builder in front of me scratch his bollocks, sniff it then finger through the pre made sandwiches...I've never bought one anywhere since. Shuddering flashbacks.

steve98

What kind of pay-out might one expect for a slightly lacerated mouth caused by one of these glassy veg-bakes? A grand? less? more? What if one has thrown away the bake (and the packaging it came in)* will that matter?

*And the receipt.

JamesTC

Don't see what all the fuss is about. It isn't like glass is meat.

Woke vegetarians not wanting to eat glass strike again.

Fr.Bigley

Quote from: steve98 on May 06, 2021, 06:23:41 PM
What kind of pay-out might one expect for a slightly lacerated mouth caused by one of these glassy veg-bakes? A grand? less? more? What if one has thrown away the bake (and the packaging it came in)* will that matter?

*And the receipt.

No win some fee.

ElTwopo

Quote from: Fambo Number Mive on May 06, 2021, 03:28:11 PM
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-tyne-57009370

I like how customers are advised not to eat bakes which might contain green glass, as if some people might be wavering.

I heard Monsieur Mangetout is being pretty blasé about it

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Fambo Number Mive on May 06, 2021, 03:28:11 PM

On the 'probably shouldn't do this but willing to take the gamble':

I was holding a plate of chilli the other night and while putting it on my coffee table so I could sit down then pick it back up it clipped the top of something stood on said table, this was enough to destabilise the plate and cause it to flip 180 out of my hands and on to a cushion on top of the coffee table, inevitably landing upside down. I was crestfallen and too fed up and tired to make the cabonara I could have made as an alternative so I flipped the food back on the plate, picked the hair out and shovelled it in. I managed about half just to get some sustenance.

Why does stuff like this always happen when you're in a fucked mood to begin with?

touchingcloth

Those things are crap anyway, they burst open in the oven so you're left with the (inferior to the Greggs-bought ones) filling spread out all over the baking tray.

seepage

They're all spread out over the baking tray by the time...

Shoulders?-Stomach!

What next poo in food are they putting poo in food now

seepage

Iceland Slimming World Chips are the best oven chips. Hollow in the middle but that's what makes them great.

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

Quote from: seepage on May 07, 2021, 08:13:18 AM
Iceland Slimming World Chips are the best oven chips. Hollow in the middle but that's what makes them great.

Yeah, but I've heard fatties cheat with those by injecting lard into the chip cavity.