Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 23, 2024, 10:08:50 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Malcolm in the Middle re-watch

Started by dead-ced-dead, May 07, 2021, 03:58:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BritishHobo

I'm a huge huge fan of The Middle. I can see why on first look people might think 'hmm, bit too similar', but I think it really is its own thing, the character are all their own very distinct selves. It does continue that unpatronising honesty about the family's financial situation, but that's the main similarity. As JaDanketies says, it's otherwise warmer and cuddlier, albeit still with that lovely edge of cynicism about their lives. I think the biggest difference is that there's no real factor of the kids being 'bad'. Axl is probably the closest, but he fits more into the mould of lazy, disinterested teenage boy than genuinely rebellious kid. And then the joyously lovely Sue being such a sweet-hearted, optimistic person, terrified of doing wrong, makes for a great dynamic.

I would say it's very consistently funny in its own way, but I guess I agree it's because of your knowledge of and fondness for the characters. I just love all of them.

BritishHobo

Quote from: Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse on May 15, 2021, 09:22:30 PM
I've only seen two episodes and both times they were treating the daughter like shit, so no thanks.

I must link one of my favourite clips from the first season finale, where
Spoiler alert
a whole season's-worth of Sue failing to make sports teams culminates in her trying out for a no-cut cross country team where all she has to do is complete one lap:
[close]

https://youtu.be/qrDNwNyrCNE

The show has much more affection for her than it seems. Sue Heck is up there in my all-time favourite comedy characters list.

BritishHobo

Back on Malcolm, I'm five or six episodes into my rewatch. I really like the episode where Lois stands Hal up for their anniversary dinner because she's punishing the kids. But instead of cutting to him sad and upset, he just ends up having a lovely time - and making friends with the neglected toilet attendant, which is so this show.

Got to acknowledge the late and great Daniel von Bargen as Commandent Spangler as well. He makes for such a great foe for Francis to play off.

Catalogue Trousers

I'm trying to remember - isn't there a fairly early episode wherein Hal
Spoiler alert
wanders into some big anonymous-looking building in town, which turns out to be the headquarters of a sort-of Men In Black type set-up
[close]
?

I really liked that episode, even though it takes a rare turn into the downright fantastic for the Malcolmverse.

madhair60

Just finished season 1. Not a duffer among them. What a joyful show. I love that it doesn't necessarily resolve each episode cleanly, leaving consequences to the imagination.

Lungpuddle

Quote from: Catalogue Trousers on May 15, 2021, 10:11:39 PM
Spoiler alert
wanders into some big anonymous-looking building in town, which turns out to be the headquarters of a sort-of Men In Black type set-up
[close]
?

I really liked that episode, even though it takes a rare turn into the downright fantastic for the Malcolmverse.

Spoiler alert
I haven't seen it lately, but I think it's more a CIA-type organisation, something to do with spies.
[close]
I may be misremembering,
Spoiler alert
but I don't think there's any hints of aliens or anything.
[close]

Catalogue Trousers

I think that you could be right. Either way, it's a sudden nosedive into the unlikely. But it still doesn't feel wrong, or out of place.

Kelvin

Quote from: Catalogue Trousers on May 15, 2021, 10:11:39 PM
Spoiler alert
[close]
?

Its a later one, i think. One where Hal's company is under investigation, so he's looking for work. As lungpudle says, its an intelligence org, rather than MiB.

Kelvin

Quote from: madhair60 on May 15, 2021, 10:49:27 PM
Just finished season 1. Not a duffer among them. What a joyful show. I love that it doesn't necessarily resolve each episode cleanly, leaving consequences to the imagination.

I thought you'd like it. Every now and then in my latest rewatch, I found myself thinking, "That exchange wouldnt be out of place in a madhair comic." I think it just has a similar tone to a lot of your stuff.

madhair60

dead-ced-dead

Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on May 15, 2021, 03:34:32 PM
I've been making my way through the whole series since it turned up on All 4. Perhaps because the BBC used to put it on in the afternoon, or the number of kids in the cast, I've always thought of it as somehow not a "proper" sitcom. That is, of course, completely silly. It's a blinking ace sitcom, as funny as any other I can think of.

I think that's why it often gets forgotten when people talk about the great sitcoms. I'm guilty of it, too. I wouldn't have occurred to consider it a great show until I started the re-watch. I recently recommended it to a friend who was looking for a good 100+ episoder to get lost in and he said as much. "I like it, but I want a real TV show."

I'm re-watching this alongside my first viewing of 30 Rock (I know, I know, late to the party). I like 30 Rock a lot so far, but Malcolm is just on another level of funny. And people would far sooner talk about 30 Rock's merits than Malcolm's, and I really get it. It's wrong, but I get it.

retsuza

Rewatching more of this. Dont say I told you but there's a guy who puts them on YouTube in parts. It really shows how clever the plots are, broken up in 5 parts.

Recent favourite is Jason Alexander (George Costanza) as a future version of Malcolm. Great episode

Gulftastic

Just watching the one where Hal finds a bomb shelter in their sandbox. I've always loved the bit where he's talking to the portrait of JFK and tells him '..and we got to the moon....biiiiig waste of money.'

MojoJojo

Quote from: retsuza on May 26, 2021, 11:03:53 PM
Rewatching more of this. Dont say I told you but there's a guy who puts them on YouTube in parts. It really shows how clever the plots are, broken up in 5 parts.

If you're in the UK, you get them through All4. Although the app is a bit naff so you might be better off on you tube.