Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 02:35:01 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Senedd election results

Started by bgmnts, May 07, 2021, 04:34:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bgmnts

www.walesonline.co.uk/news/politics/senedd-election-results-every-constituency-20531919

They're taking an age to come in due to social distancing and the like (I've read people have actually given up voting due to the time delays and having to work) but Labour hold Merthyr and horrid cunts keep Montgomeryshire. Tories take Vale of Clwyd I read.

Harry Badger

According to the radio just now they've barely begun counting at the Motorpoint. What the fuck is the delay all about? And how does social distancing prevent them from counting at night?

Zetetic

So far, it's looking to be fairly boring and slightly sad.

Zetetic

Quote from: bgmnts on May 07, 2021, 04:30:05 PM
Labour already lost a seat to the Tories in the north, hence the parallel with England.
Vale of Clwyd was taken very narrowly though. Wrexham hold, notably.

canadagoose

Quote from: Zetetic on May 07, 2021, 05:16:31 PM
Vale of Clwyd was taken very narrowly though. Wrexham hold, notably.
That's a good sign surely, considering the Westminster seat result?

Zetetic

Yeah. Like I say, signs so far is that it's going to be dull - which is preferably to catastrophic, of course.

(My guess is that there will be little to no attention paid to Wales either by UK Labour or the London media, accordingly.)

Harry Badger

Will be interested to see how McEvoy does here in Cardiff West. I think the split from Plaid means he cannot win but'd bet on him coming a solid second again, albeit not as close as last time. Parts of Fairwater and Ely have a McEvoy placard outside almost every house, I don't think I've seen that level of support for a candidate before.

bgmnts

Tories have already won 6 seats according to Wales Online.

Pretty sure they won 6 in total in 2016.

PLAID HOLD YNYS MON. ABSOLUTE SCENES.

Zetetic

All but one of those 6 are holds.

Echo Valley 2-6809

I was convinced it was going to be Abolish the Welsh Assembly's night.

bgmnts

Quote from: Echo Valley 2-6809 on May 07, 2021, 06:48:10 PM
I was convinced it was going to be Abolish the Welsh Assembly's night.

They've fucked the graph up big time but they possibly got over a thousand votes in Caerphilly.

Captain Z

Gower, which went Tory in the 2015 GE by something like 25 votes (before switching back to Labour in 2017), looks to have swung further to LAB than previously.

bgmnts

Well Monmouth will be Tory and probably Brecon so thats 8. Then you have Vale of Glamorgan and Bridgend maybe. Hopefullly the valleys, Newport and Llanelli districts hold. Can't believe i'm almost proud of my fellow valley scum.

Fucking glacial though.

bgmnts

Yup, Monmouth blue.

Labour got 11k votes though, not too bad for this disgusting area.

canadagoose

I don't know who I'd be rooting for if I were a Cymraes. Maybe Plaid, maybe Labour (strictly Welsh kind, not Starmer's), definitely not McEvoy. With his surname I assumed he was a Scot who'd relocated to spread shit, but apparently not. At any rate I hope the Tories lose *something*.

canadagoose

Quote from: bgmnts on May 07, 2021, 07:11:30 PM
Yup, Monmouth blue.

Labour got 11k votes though, not too bad for this disgusting area.

Monmouthshire must be the Scottish Borders of Wales. I suppose it's on the border.

bgmnts

Quote from: canadagoose on May 07, 2021, 07:17:05 PM
Monmouthshire must be the Scottish Borders of Wales. I suppose it's on the border.

It's been blue forever. This will give you a decent look at this district: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-south-east-wales-12726556

It is the marches so is very Anglicised but the borders up north are Labour so fuck knows.

bgmnts

Newport doing the business so far. Newport East Labour hold.

Sort of surprised with the lack of gains for Plaid, mind. You'd assume after that poll came out that said 40% of us would vote for independence, that we would see that reflected in the voting, but has there been many gains for Plaid? I know the vote was split a bit with Propel and Gwlad (lol) but it seems to me that we want to say we are independent but dont want to vote for it. Sort of aligns with that half arsed Welsh nationalism and cultural identity.

Edit - I tell a lie, they gained Meirionnydd.

Zetetic

A real shame to lose Leanne Wood; Labour gain the Rhondda

Zetetic

Quote from: bgmnts on May 07, 2021, 07:32:01 PM
Sort of surprised with the lack of gains for Plaid, mind. You'd assume after that poll came out that said 40% of us would vote for independence, that we would see that reflected in the voting, but has there been many gains for Plaid? ... but it seems to me that we want to say we are independent but dont want to vote for it.
Is this just that Plaid doesn't stand-in for YesCymru (etc.) in the way that the SNP managed to largely capture independence as a movement? Welsh Labour is managing to tread a line that Scottish Labour failed to.

QuoteI know the vote was split a bit with Propel and Gwlad (lol)
I think these are irrelevant in every constituency vote other than Cardiff West.

buttgammon

Was quite surprised to see Wrexham stay Labour - hopefully this means our shit of a Tory MP will get kicked out at the next opportunity.

bgmnts

Quote from: Zetetic on May 07, 2021, 07:55:36 PM
Is this just that Plaid doesn't stand-in for YesCymru (etc.) in the way that the SNP managed to largely capture independence as a movement? Welsh Labour is managing to tread a line that Scottish Labour failed to.
I think these are irrelevant in every constituency vote other than Cardiff West.

I suppose. Although a vote for Welsh Labour is a vote for parliamentary sovereignty isnt it? I just cannot believe anyone wants that in Wales anymore who isnt a massive bellend.

Zetetic

Well, in theory, it might be a vote for constitutional reform towards federalism... but, yeah.

A neat analysis:

"If anyone is a fan of Dennis Balsom's 'three Wales' model... big wins for Plaid in Y Fro Gymraeg, big wins for Labour in Welsh Wales, big wins for the Tories in British Wales..."

https://twitter.com/ifanmj/status/1390740705681842183

bgmnts

Isnt the northeast Labour though? Only seems to be south east and south west that is tory.

Zetetic

The urban north-east has been mostly held by Labour, but still seen swings towards the Tories, e.g.:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/election/2021/wales/constituencies/W09000007

bgmnts

Well fair enough. Although it seems a lot of boroughs in what the image I saw refers to as British Wales is red, i.e Bridgend and Cardiff.

What happens now to Welsh Labour then? Distance themselves from Westminster Labour?

itsfredtitmus

Voted for the tories as a protest vote - hope it works

Glad to see that my constituency (Cardiff North) has stayed Labour. The Tory candidate is about 13 and was a runner-up on Big Brother. Really.

Cardiff is weird - loads of folk on my street have Plaid placards in their garden but have told me they voted for Labour as "there's no point" in such a marginal constituency.