Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 12:51:56 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Join the Forces

Started by Shoulders?-Stomach!, May 08, 2021, 10:54:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SpiderChrist

Quote from: Menyatta Zondatta on May 10, 2021, 06:42:14 PM
SpiderChrist mentioned that apparently they used to recruit at schools, which isn't something I've seen during my time so I assume they might've changed it. That or they have our school down on the big strategy map as 'Weak Cunts'.

Well, 4 years ago THE BIRTISH ARMEY had a stall at a "Careers Fair" at my daughters secondary school, and I can't think of any massive progressive changes to the culture in this country over the past 4 years that would have made them stop since then.

EDIT: new page dead foreign brown person rule britannia it's actually a career

Zetetic

I suspect that they target pretty aggressively.

They'll have a bunch of people whose job it is to optimise geographic stuff who'll mostly have very little to do.

dissolute ocelot

Who will drive our taxis if we don't have ex-squaddies? Not immigrants, there'll soon be none of them either.

QuoteThe British army is intentionally targeting young people from deprived backgrounds for the roles carrying the greatest risks in war
Here's a report from 2019 about how the army are recruiting lots of 16 year olds from poor areas, and how joining the army young isn't actually a pathway to career success and social mobility (lots will drop out before 18 with no qualifications). Stay in school, kids.

Video Game Fan 2000

The forces used to recruit from schools round by me and they seemed to deliberately target kids from bad postcodes and in particular the kids from those areas who might have had uni offers or apprenticeships. They used emphasize how uni and apprenticeships were expensive and took years of hard work to pay off, took you away from being around lads and you had to work on your own a lot, you didn't get leadership skills, lots of stress and desk work, etc whereas the military was instant pay off.

Cunts.

Zetetic

I've wondered if they've managed to wangle access to actual pupil databases in at least some of the four countries of the UK.

(But as VGF2000 describes, ecological deprivation is a pretty good starting point.)

Video Game Fan 2000

I used to wonder if they knew the GCSE results and uni offers of particular schools because that's where they'd turn up, poorer schools who did well, and that's who'd have to go to optional (mandatory) open days.

Anecdotal but I've always wondered.

Video Game Fan 2000

I got thrown out of one for telling the RAF guy to fuck off.

Proper little Alan Parker I was. Glory days.

Pink Gregory

secrof eht nioj

eht nioj

Kankurette

Quote from: Video Game Fan 2000 on May 11, 2021, 04:36:24 PM
The forces used to recruit from schools round by me and they seemed to deliberately target kids from bad postcodes and in particular the kids from those areas who might have had uni offers or apprenticeships. They used emphasize how uni and apprenticeships were expensive and took years of hard work to pay off, took you away from being around lads and you had to work on your own a lot, you didn't get leadership skills, lots of stress and desk work, etc whereas the military was instant pay off.

Cunts.
They do that in the US, they make a point of targeting poor/working-class areas with few job prospects.
Quote from: Video Game Fan 2000 on May 11, 2021, 04:36:24 PM

Cunts.
At least when I went to university, I didn't have to worry about being blown to bits by a mine, shot at, raped by my fellow soldiers or killed in an air strike. I'd also say that being in the army is a lot more stressful than doing a degree.

Video Game Fan 2000

I think recruiters know that a major obstacle for working class or minority kids going to uni or trying to acquire a trade or profession, is parents or relatives putting pressure on them to do something in the here and now that you can put a price on. Its something most middle class people don't even have to think about. The forces (and shit jobs in general) directly speak to the anxieties that come from that kind of pressure. You want to seem independent, yeah? You don't want to rely on anyone else? You want to be making something of yourself on the very first day.

The recruitment process can be quite a jape.

jonbob

Back in the 80s at the shit hole high school I was at we had an army recruit show up and were forced to spend an hour-ish listening to his pitch, instead of learning something. The pitch was all about how much money you'd make in the army and the recruiter kept telling us how he'd be able to retire at 40.

The "needless to say, I had the last laugh" part
About 10 years later he was begging for a job at the business I was working at, the boss was impressed by his uniform, he was hired. He got sacked for stealing. Clearly he had been institutionalised by his time in the army,  had no idea how to cope in the real world and was desperate for money.