Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 10:41:08 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Most emotive few seconds in music

Started by TheMonk, May 08, 2021, 11:38:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheMonk

My example I'm not proud of but ... I was in a supermarket today and they had "It Started With A Kiss" by Hot Chocolate on the PA.
Errol Brown whining "You don't remember me do you?"
Kick to the bloody guts mate. Felt like crying into the fancy cheeses.

jobotic

QuoteHoping soon that you'll walk back through that door
And love me like you tried before

This bit from Band of Gold. It's the word tried. I didn't realise when I first heard it that her new husband is gay (I think that's right). I took it as he tried to love her but she was just unlovable (or felt that way about herself). Which at the time was....ouch.

Nothing written down but with the music.

TheMonk

Quote from: jobotic on May 08, 2021, 12:14:43 PM
This bit from Band of Gold. It's the word tried. I didn't realise when I first heard it that her new husband is gay (I think that's right). I took it as he tried to love her but she was just unlovable (or felt that way about herself). Which at the time was....ouch.

Nothing written down but with the music.
I used to DJ weddings and once made the awful decision to play that song from a compilation CD. Terrible choice. The looks I got are still etched in my memory. I quietly faded it and put on something innocuous like True by Spandau Ballet. Nightmarish.

pupshaw

Syreeta - Just a Little Piece of You.

Of course it's well known that she's singing about what really happened
between her and Stevie. It's just lovely they could get this out and stay best friends.
It's quite a strange album in some ways

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O9QLK6Ky7rI

QuoteI need to be there sometimes
Give your heart a little sunshine
All I want to do is to see your spirit run free
l'm satisfied with just a little piece of you

Chicory

And I need you more than want you

And I want you for all time

Mr Banlon

It Must Be Love, Labi Siffre :

I never thought I'd miss you half as much as I do
And I never thought I'd feel this way the way I feel about you
As soon as I wake up, any night, any day
I know that it's you I need to take the blues away

SpiderChrist

The combination of musical changes and the way Bowie sings "By the time I got to New York" in Lazarus has tipped me over the edge more than once.

The Mollusk

Quote from: pupshaw on May 08, 2021, 02:29:17 PM
Syreeta - Just a Little Piece of You.

Of course it's well known that she's singing about what really happened
between her and Stevie. It's just lovely they could get this out and stay best friends.
It's quite a strange album in some ways

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O9QLK6Ky7rI

What did she do, cut off a toe or something?

The Mollusk

Quote from: SpiderChrist on May 08, 2021, 03:00:06 PM
The combination of musical changes and the way Bowie sings "By the time I got to New York" in Lazarus has tipped me over the edge more than once.

When the tune drops out and he cries "OH NO LOVE, YOU'RE NOT ALONE" at the end of "Rock 'n' Roll Suicide", that's took me from the point of trembling lip into full-blown tears on a few occasions.

non capisco

Quote from: Chicory on May 08, 2021, 02:50:35 PM
And I need you more than want you

And I want you for all time

Was just coming in to post exactly this. Push comes to shove that's probably my favourite song in the world and that's the best bit in it.

non capisco

Quote from: SpiderChrist on May 08, 2021, 03:00:06 PM

It's the "Just like that bluebird/Now ain't that just like me?" bit for me. I found myself suddenly in tears in the middle of Sainsburys car park at that bit the weekend after Blackstar came out and the day before it was announced he'd died, it definitely has devastating power even if you don't know it was written and sung by a dying man.

madhair60

"You can arm me to the teeth, you can't make me go to war" from Family Happiness

"She told me how you'd died at last - at last" from Pale Green Things

"I sang all night, the moon shone on me through the trees" from Deuteronomy 2:10

about a million other Mountain Goats ones to be honest.

I HIDE DOWN IN MY CORNER BECAUSE I LIKE MY CORNER I AM HAPPY WHERE THE VERMIN PLAY

yeah I'm basic. fuck off and die.

chveik

when Scott Walker goes full Donald Duck

Egyptian Feast

The section from around 3:38 to 4:14 in this song is almost unbearably bleak, enhanced by the increasing desperation in the singer's voice leading up to it.

BlodwynPig

The Mollusk

Mentioned this a few times on here but the strongest example of a "there's more attitude in this band's little finger than there are in most other bands' entire back catalogue" moment is in The Slits' cover of "Heard It Through The Grapevine". Opting to use the male-centric Marvin Gaye lyrics, when Ari Up sings "I know a man ain't supposed to cry", she adds a sardonic little "huh!" afterwards which is the single most bristling grin-widening fucking awesome tiny little bit of any song ever made. I wait for it every time so I can soak up the sheer gall of it, bug-eyed and fascinated and in total awe. It sends me into a little giddy sway and rockets the endorphins right up my spine. Just that tiny little sneer. YES!

lankyguy95

I'll reduce it briefly to the very last piano chord on The Last Time I Saw Richard - the notes leading up to it draw you in, thinking it'll resolve with a major chord and then... it doesn't. That last moment pierces me.

Natnar

"Tiefer, tiefer
Irgendwo in der tiefe
Gibt es ein licht"

All Surrogate

Portishead - The Rip

You know the moment, just after the 2 minute mark, when the drums and synthesiser come in over that exquisite vowel.

"Get a drink, have a good time now, welcome to paradise... "

Video Game Fan 2000

"and now they know how many holes it takes it fill the Albert Hall" is a bit of a normie answer but honestly I can't think of a better one unless I pick something that's just pure raw like an Abbey Lincoln performance or summat.

edit:
3:50 - 4:30ish on Talk Talk's "After the Flood" will haunt me forever.
the gap between "learn to love the water, it will love you like there's no tomorrow" and "there is no tomorrow" on This Heat's "Not Waving"

Quote from: Video Game Fan 2000
3:50 - 4:30ish on Talk Talk's "After the Flood" will haunt me forever.

Is that the extended solo on one note? It was one of my first thoughts, but then I was going to nominate that bit in Taphead with that big release of tension towards the end. Still hits me every time.

Lungpuddle

Started to post Elliott Smith telling his mum "I'm never going to know you now, but I'm going to love you anyhow" from Waltz #2, specifically the last time when the strings start clawing away at my feelings, but right now the last verse of Pitseleh is on my mind.

"The first time I saw you
I knew it would never last
I'm not half what I wish I was
I'm so angry
I don't think it'll ever pass
And I was bad news for you just because
I never meant to hurt you"

If this bit doesn't count as a "few seconds" then I was only joking, I meant Waltz #2.

jobotic

Trying to think of something purely musical rather than words that remind me of having a broken heart but seem to have brain fog when it comes to music lately.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: TheMonk on May 08, 2021, 11:38:17 AM
Errol Brown whining "You don't remember me do you?"

I like this for the same reason I was going to post the quite obvious choice of Johnny Cash - Hurt, they properly, and I think unintentionally, overload everything when they go for it.

shagatha crustie

Sufjan breaking into falsetto - 'even more, they were boys, with their cars, summer jobs, oh my goddd...' on 'John Wayne Gacy Jr.'

itsfredtitmus

Floreat Inertia is unironically the most emotional song I've ever heard. People that only know Achtung Bono are literal tories or ironyboys