Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 11:32:52 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Most emotive few seconds in music

Started by TheMonk, May 08, 2021, 11:38:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

non capisco

Quote from: shagatha crustie on May 08, 2021, 11:07:02 PM
Sufjan breaking into falsetto - 'even more, they were boys, with their cars, summer jobs, oh my goddd...' on 'John Wayne Gacy Jr.'

Yep. Casimir Pulaski Day off the same album is similarly devastating. The last line in the heartbreaking final verse hoo boy

QuoteIn the morning when you finally go
And the nurse runs in with her head hung low
And the cardinal hits the window
In the morning in the winter shade
On the first of March, on the holiday
I thought I saw you breathing
All the glory that the Lord has made
And the complications when I see his face
In the morning in the window
All the glory when he took our place
But he took my shoulders and he shook my face
And he takes and he takes and he takes

PaulTMA

Weezer Buddy Holly guitar/synth solo

Egyptian Feast

Quote from: itsfredtitmus on May 08, 2021, 11:07:27 PM
Floreat Inertia is unironically the most emotional song I've ever heard. People that only know Achtung Bono are literal tories or ironyboys

I always get a little emotional tingle at the bit where Christ reveals his true identity at the end of 'Footprints'.

Sebastian Cobb

QuoteWell he thought of a love unrequited
And he thought of a life full of pain
It's a pity he didn't spare a thought for
The poor bastard driving the train

Video Game Fan 2000

"We'll make love to Duck Stab and it'll be alright"

The verse about Mach and Borth in Floreat Inertia gets me every time. Is there something Twilight zone about those particular goats that means somehow everyone that has used that stretch of railway has somehow had the exact same experience? Are those goats still there. That song was written over a decade before I saw them they must be immortal.

Edit: Congrats CaB on cashing out every possible stereotype of the forum by the "most emotive few seconds in music" thread turning into consecutive posting of the first HMHB line that came to immediate mind in less than one and a quarter pages. WWG1WGBald.

Jockice

Since we're doing Madness in another thread, the bit where Suggs sings 'the feeling of arriving when you've nothing left to lost' at the end of One Better Day gets me every time.

(The previous single Michael Caine also makes me well up as it brings back memories of walking through a park on my own with tears running down my face after being blown out by a girl I liked. And all I wanted was a word or photograph to keep at home...)

BlodwynPig

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0fbTbUhMuTQ

Jana cry "i've got so much to give" Jana sigh "i've got so much to live" Jana's mind - positive or negative Jana died

Brundle-Fly

The unexpected trumpet reprise near the end of Burt Bacharach's The Look Of Love sung by Dusty Springfield.

badaids

The soaring surging hopeful string coda at the end of the live version of For Those... on the Tindersticks live at Bloomsbury album.

SpiderChrist

The way Philippé Wynne sings "We're all the same" just before the second chorus of Ghetto Child by The Detroit Spinners.

https://youtu.be/J9No6E9QqO8

kalowski

The opening drums of Be My Baby. Just that simple opening fills me with emotion. Once the rest of the wall of sound comes crashing in I'm done for.

Oz Oz Alice

Quote from: madhair60 on May 08, 2021, 06:18:17 PM

about a million other Mountain Goats ones to be honest.

I HIDE DOWN IN MY CORNER BECAUSE I LIKE MY CORNER I AM HAPPY WHERE THE VERMIN PLAY

Came into the thread to post about the ending to the Jordan Lake Sessions Version of Spent Gladiator 2 where he transitions without warning from calm murmuring to Darnielle-yelling for the line "Try to spit some blood at the camera". There's obviously lots of very emotive Mountain Goats moments, a rare non-lyrical one being the utterly defeated sounding strumming at the end of The Mess Inside. The hiss of the boombox swallowing up Darnielle thrashing the shit out of his acoustic in the most ragged way possible.

Non Mountain Goats though its got to be the way Jhonn Balance starts singing "Holy holy" at the end of Fire of The Mind.

EDIT to add an honourable mention for the joyous and heart-bursting way Robert Smith sings the final "Without you"'s at the end of In Between Days; and the keyboard line on Flower by Ceramic Hobs, sadly unable to find a link to it.

Catalogue Trousers

QuoteSince we're doing Madness in another thread, the bit where Suggs sings 'the feeling of arriving when you've nothing left to lose' at the end of One Better Day gets me every time.

Oddly hopeful, that bit, although the thread title does say 'emotive', not specifically 'sad' or 'gloomy' or 'despairing'. That said, for sheer, simple, stark grimness from the Nutty Boys, it has to be Tomorrow's Just Another Day's 'it's down and down, there is no up/I think that I've run out of luck'. Bleak as you please.

Glebe

More than a few seconds, but the intro to The Velvet's 'Sweet Jane' is flipping gorgeous.

rue the polywhirl

Those three seconds in the otherwise whispery beautiful Into The Night by Julee Cruise off the Twin Peaks soundtrack where it gets ridiculously loud and then switches back to haunting.

The Crumb

Low's Dinosaur act. Alan's delivery of the 'No more airplanes' line with the optigan in the background is just so perfectly mournful.

Also Corin Tucker howling 'Didn't you want it?' as Sleater Kinney's Jenny climaxes, pure raw romantic grief.

A more difficult emotion to pint down, but that sense of something huge looming out the murk at the start of Autechre's all end gives me shivers every time.

pupshaw

Quote from: jobotic on May 08, 2021, 10:16:22 PM
Trying to think of something purely musical rather than words that remind me of having a broken heart but seem to have brain fog when it comes to music lately.

Try Beethoven Piano Sonata No.31
Andras Schiff gives a fantastic lecture about it (and all the other sonatas too)

In a nutshell, Beethoven had been very sick and it (kind of) depicts his despair and struggle to regain his strength 

lankyguy95

Quote from: rue the polywhirl on May 09, 2021, 03:29:15 PM
Those three seconds in the otherwise whispery beautiful Into The Night by Julee Cruise off the Twin Peaks soundtrack where it gets ridiculously loud and then switches back to haunting.
I'd pick Laura Palmer's Theme but I'll be damned if I can specify a few seconds of music above anything else on that track.

Oz Oz Alice

Rowland S Howard's Ave Maria: the instrumental section that sounds like the ascension of a soul followed by Mick Harvey's echo of Hal Blaine's immortal beat; followed by that androgynous grievous angel voice singing "Although my crimes remain unnamed". It's just too beautiful.

Cuellar

Quote from: pupshaw on May 09, 2021, 07:03:38 PM
Try Beethoven Piano Sonata No.31
Andras Schiff gives a fantastic lecture about it (and all the other sonatas too)

In a nutshell, Beethoven had been very sick and it (kind of) depicts his despair and struggle to regain his strength

In that same vein, the moment in the 3rd movement of the Beethoven string quartet no.15 when it transitions from the slow opening to a more buoyant theme. Likewise written after a near fatal illness, and called a "Holy song of thanks ('Heiliger Dankgesang') to the Divinity, from a convalescent"

MrMrs

love threads like these
gonna listen to em all

non capisco

The closing repetition of "NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER WAS!" from Protomartyr's utterly beautiful and chilling Worm In Heaven, a song about someone having an existential crisis and arriving at the bleakest of conclusions, resonant as hell in a year where it was essential to avoid people and the mind starts to play tricks. From the same song the bit where he sings "Remember me/How I lived.....I was frightened" and the guitars drop out like an abandonment at the moment of a confession. Spent a vast amount of last summer walking round listening to that song on repeat, I am such a bloody giggle, me.

phantom_power

Quote from: Jockice on May 09, 2021, 08:58:10 AM
Since we're doing Madness in another thread, the bit where Suggs sings 'the feeling of arriving when you've nothing left to lost' at the end of One Better Day gets me every time.

(The previous single Michael Caine also makes me well up as it brings back memories of walking through a park on my own with tears running down my face after being blown out by a girl I liked. And all I wanted was a word or photograph to keep at home...)

For me it is the abba-esque piano after "walking round you sometimes hear the sunshine"

"Though they put her back together, they left her heart in pieces on the floor" - Levi Stubbs Tears

amateur

Quote from: PaulTMA on May 09, 2021, 12:12:11 AM
Weezer Buddy Holly guitar/synth solo

Build up and eventual release at the end of Only In Dreams is particularly emotive for me. Good memories of seeing it live in 2001 (2002?) and a shitload of confetti came down from the ceiling at the "drop". Never bettered! Good noise!

Shoulders?-Stomach!

QuoteMost emotive few seconds in music

windows 98 intro

cheers

Gulftastic

'The Beautiful Ones' by Prince when he gets to the end and starts screaming 'Do you want him, or do you want me?'

FsF

The live versions of Jeff Buckley's 'Dream Brother', where his rueful advice to a friend not to turn out like his own absentee father becomes a pained howl.

Don't be like the one who made me so old
Don't be like the one who left behind his name
'Cause they're waiting for you like I waited for mine
Nobody ever came
Nobody ever...

https://youtu.be/3fs9hRUTOnU?t=402

(also the last line of course, sort-of foreshadowing his own death and all...)

Emma Raducanu

Simon and Garfunkel's Old Friends

"Old friends
Memory brushes the same years
Silently sharing the same fear
"

SteveDave

"I don't even care, if I ever see her again...most of the time"

Sung by Bob Dylan at me whilst walking around Sainsburys on Green Lanes approx 4 months after being dumped and being made homeless. I thought I'd put my life back together and was fine but then he comes along and blindsides me.

In terms of like sheer, gut-ripping melancholy, nothing beats literally all of Funkadelic's Maggot Brain. Those swirly guitar riffs do things to me, and the lack of lyrics really accentuates just how effectively they can get across a feeling.

Not sure if it fits in with the thread as 'emotive', but the last, like, fourty seconds of 'Give me just a little more time' by Chairmen of the Board again is just amazingly effective at getting across the singer's emotion and longing, vocal technique is on point and just generally a great track.