Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 09:10:56 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Most emotive few seconds in music

Started by TheMonk, May 08, 2021, 11:38:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jobotic

The line "Please lick your paws before you enter" from Girlfrendo's Cat Heaven makes me smile every time and then feel sad about the feline comrades that have fallen down the years.

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on May 09, 2021, 09:31:26 AM
The unexpected trumpet reprise near the end of Burt Bacharach's The Look Of Love sung by Dusty Springfield.

The ending of 'Don't Make Me Over', the middle section of 'I Say A Little Prayer.'

phantom_power

You push me up to this....state oooooooof.......emergencyyyyyyyyy

Various bits of Avril 14th

Deliciousbass

this from 1.06 - 1.20 i feel just totally captures what being in love with someone is like as a teenager

https://youtu.be/Xgbhlwtt1VA

i love the contrast between the confused restraint of "I've got a little thing for you, I've got a little crush or something" to the manic repetition of "it's always you, it's always you"

Video Game Fan 2000

A good joyous one is everything between "no one is better than I!" and "never ever ever ever make my baby cry" in "Uptight". Absolutely pure joy.

Especially this version: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sMWrvHl6Fpo with the delivery "empty pockets you see - I'm a poor man's son!" and the adlibs "'salight, Stevie can do it" and turning "never make my baby cry" to "never make my cookie cry" which I think his was his pet name for Syreeta, if they were an item at the time?

lankyguy95

There are many beautiful, emotive moments from the composing hands of Thomas Newman which speak to me and occasionally knock me off my feet. I'm not sure I could even pick a favourite.

I will say though, because I was listening to this track this week, that I find An Inch Of His Life from his score for Shawshank Redemption to be incredibly moving. At 1:16 when that beautiful, stoic melody emerges from the void, followed by 1:33 when the piano enters and it's like a kind of death arrives - I can't think of much else that makes me feel like that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nROt_sDos30

bgmnts

Rush - 2112: The Discovery.

https://youtu.be/AZm1_jtY1SQ?t=476

There's something about the story of the man discovering this old strange device, hitting some notes and then that seamlessly turning into some lovely Alex Lifeson guitar work. When a piece of music tells a story like that it's ace!

amateur

Quote from: bgmnts on May 11, 2021, 10:37:36 PM
Rush - 2112: The Discovery.

https://youtu.be/AZm1_jtY1SQ?t=476

There's something about the story of the man discovering this old strange device, hitting some notes and then that seamlessly turning into some lovely Alex Lifeson guitar work. When a piece of music tells a story like that it's ace!

There's about four or five moments in 2112 that would qualify for this thread. Now that's a proper song.

Tikwid

There's a lot of these kinds of moments across (some of) Yes' discography but I'll square in on one from The Gates of Delirium, a 21 minute piece about the different stages of a battle. It goes through a lot of different emotions - the fantasy scene-setting of that initial burst of keyboards, the insane scrap-metal-percussion chaos of the battle itself, the triumph of the victory parade, and the yearning sadness of the closing Soon section - the latter would be my nomination were it not for an overlooked part much earlier in the suite. During the preparations for the battle, the music quietens and there's a moment of doubt:
Listen, should we fight forever
Knowing as we do know, fear destroys
Listen, should we leave our children
Listen, our lives stare in silence
Help us now
But then - and this is the bit that gets me - it kicks back up, and the doubt of the lions is quashed by donkeys:
Listen, your friends have been broken
They tell us of your poison, now we know
Kill them, give them as they give us
Slay them, burn their children's laughter
On to hell
The implications of that stanza I find almost as potent emotionally as Soon - almost certainly because of how it conjures up an image of division and misinfomration leading to death and disaster, a theme that's been particularly in vogue on the world stage these last few years.

wosl

There's a short piano break in the Jan Garbarek track Send Word, done by Rainer Brüninghaus.  He plays this cool, light skittering pattern at the end of it, like first snow swirling in a chilly wind on a grey afternoon or something, and it's wonderful. Unfortunately on YouTube it's only available on 'Premium', so that's the link fucked. But track it down if possible on your streaming service of choice.

willbo

to my shame the first thing that popped into my head was the build up to the guitar solo in "Stairway to Heaven". Wish it had been something cooler like a Burial track or something

phantom_power

It's just a rumour that was spread around town

non capisco

Quote from: phantom_power on May 13, 2021, 09:06:56 PM
It's just a rumour that was spread around town

Good shout. Wyatt and Costello versions both. Amazing song.

TheMonk

Genesis - Please Don't Ask
"But I miss my boy"

phantom_power

Quote from: non capisco on May 13, 2021, 09:14:54 PM
Good shout. Wyatt and Costello versions both. Amazing song.

I know it isn't the connoisseur opinion but I prefer the Costello version. I heard it first on some compilation of his and it was years before I even knew there was another version, and that it was the "original".

"Throw yourself at the tiiiii-hiiiiide" from Child Brides by The Auteurs

And as for a different emotion, I love the anger in "hand in unlovable hand" from No Children

And I know she is not the most popular person on this forum for various reasons but there is some great anger in Runs in the Family by Amanda Palmer, "I can run using every last ounce of energy, I cannot, I cannot, I cannot run from my family"

itsfredtitmus

Quote from: Egyptian Feast on May 09, 2021, 01:28:50 AM
I always get a little emotional tingle at the bit where Christ reveals his true identity at the end of 'Footprints'.
"How's it going, where're you living
Do you still see much of Steve?
Are you married, are you working
Do you still drink in The Swan?"

itsfredtitmus

"I Can Do That, but I don't really want to" :(

kalowski

Quote from: phantom_power on May 14, 2021, 08:56:08 AM
I know it isn't the connoisseur opinion but I prefer the Costello version. I heard it first on some compilation of his and it was years before I even knew there was another version, and that it was the "original".

I prefer the Costello version too. I think he sings it better. Beautiful song in both versions though.

SpiderChrist

Quote from: kalowski on May 14, 2021, 06:39:09 PM
I prefer the Costello version too. I think he sings it better. Beautiful song in both versions though.

I heard the Wyatt version first and didn't hear Costello's until a bit later when Punch The Clock came out. Prefer Wyatt's version, tbh. The production and arrangement suit the song better, even with Costello trying to best Wyatt by getting Chet Baker to play trumpet on it.

Catalogue of ills

The bit on the first disc of Perfecto Fluoro where Oakenfold mixes Little Buddha into Teleport by Man With No Name, and one almost disintigrates into the other, has always been sublime for me, at about 19 minutes here or from 18 minutes for the full effect.

DNR by Jesca Hoop is one long beautiful gut punch, not surprisingly since it's about being asked to decide whether her abusive father shouldn't be resuscitated after an overdose, but the lines

QuoteAnd then my sister asked
"Are we prayin' for him to pass?"
And no one dare speak out loud, but we all knew
And pushed the paperwork through

tend to remove the floor from beneath me.

All of The Moon Exalted by Damon Albarn is beautiful and sad, but the part from about 4.15, especially when he sings "In my book of thoughts, I have found written on my heart..." and all the rest of it are sublime. Madou Diabate's kora is just great.

Cuellar

Quote from: phantom_power on May 14, 2021, 08:56:08 AM
And as for a different emotion, I love the anger in "hand in unlovable hand" from No Children

Another Mountain Goats "hand" moment, in Hast Thou Considered The Tetrapod where it builds to:

"Held under these smothering waves
By your strong and thick-veined hand"