Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 12:43:32 AM

Login with username, password and session length

animals in bee costumes

Started by pancreas, May 08, 2021, 11:43:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ferris

Inspector Norse

I have a lot of respect for people who dress their pets up as bees, pumpkins, hot dogs etc. When our cat got spayed she had to wear a leotard thing to protect the scar for two weeks and she escaped from it at least once a day. These animal costumiers must have remarkable dedication and patience.

H-O-W-L

I have to put a coat on my dog when he goes out because he has Cushing's disease and is irrevocably balding even with treatment. According to this thread, every time I do it I'm an intergalactic  megarapist on par with Jimmy Savile by way of Galactus the Destroyer, casually eradicating whole planets with methane fart meat-eater psychotic Gammon grave insanity cunt sweet shop shit.

Ferris

Quote from: H-O-W-L on May 09, 2021, 01:12:27 AM
I have to put a coat on my dog when he goes out because he has Cushing's disease and is irrevocably balding even with treatment. According to this thread, every time I do it I'm an intergalactic  megarapist on par with Jimmy Savile by way of Galactus the Destroyer, casually eradicating whole planets with methane fart meat-eater psychotic Gammon grave insanity cunt sweet shop shit.

Oh I don't know, I think CaB could warm to you and your dog.

H-O-W-L

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on May 09, 2021, 01:14:35 AM
Oh I don't know, I think CaB could warm to you and your dog.

That's actually cheered me up. Topper.

idunnosomename

im genuinely always warmed to any dog in a little coat

Jasha

SpiderChrist

Only if that's how you choose to interpret it. Putting a jacket on a dog for practical reasons is fine - sticking a pug in an elf costume because it's Christmas Day is a completely different thing.

imitationleather

Okay, so doing it for cuteness is frowned upon. Is it more acceptable to dress animals up to make them look sexy?

Blue Jam

What if they're not merely a dog but a highly-skilled animal actor?

Gawd I love Eddie. I wish I could adopt a clone of him and have stare-out contests with him all day.

Blue Jam

There are some dogs like greyhounds and Dalmatians who have a naturally very short single coat and therefore have to wear coats in cold weather or they'd freeze.

When I was in Japan I saw a lot of dogs wearing little leather shoes and was told it's to protect their feet when they're walking on hot pavements. I've heard about a similar thing in New York, where a lot of dogs wear shoes in winter to protect their paw pads from the effects of salt from gritted pavements and snow getting trapped in the webbing between their toes, as well as just to keep them warm.

I've shared a few pics of dogs in little coats and shoes on Facebook before but had to stop doing it because I have a couple of friends who would go ape and lecture me on the evils of putting dogs in clothes. I think a lot of people just automatically assume the owners are being cruel and don't stop to consider the practical necessities, especially in other climates.

Kankurette

Yep, hot tarmac is hell on dogs' paws. It's not cruel to make sure their feet aren't in agony when they walk, or that they're not freezing.

I have never put a costume on my cat. Not even a hat. I like having hands.

imitationleather

A while back I was Googling if you can buy knickers for dogs.

It turns out you can.

That's a bit weird tbh.

Blue Jam

Quote from: Kankurette on May 09, 2021, 11:53:18 AM
I have never put a costume on my cat. Not even a hat. I like having hands.

Yes, whenever I see a cat in a little costume my first thought is how the owner even managed to get it on them without getting clawed to fuck. I can't even imagine how people get them into those pet carriers to take them to the vets etc.

I'm just too much of a dog person I guess. I don't speak Cat and I don't understand why they need to communicate with their claws so much. My cats-in-law are nice but one of them seems completely unable to tell me she's had enough of being stroked without drawing blood.

imitationleather

I think when you see photos of cats in costumes they've captured the one second where it's not going completely mental trying to get it off. When my girl cat had her bits removed to stop her getting pregnant she wouldn't tolerate wearing the cone at all. She started running full pelt in to walls in an attempt to knock it off. We had to remove it because we were worried she was going to injure herself far worse than if she just licked her stitches open.

Sebastian Cobb

I know someone whose vet suggested they brush their cats teeth somehow, god knows how you manage that.

There was a woman who lived near my old local who had a big husky and she used to put a jacket on it, like people do with Greyhounds, in winter, which seemed a little unnecessary.

Blue Jam

Quote from: imitationleather on May 09, 2021, 11:59:35 AM

It turns out you can.

That's a bit weird tbh.

In Japan it's quite common to see dogs wearing nappies, under a little "nappy harness". I remember being bemused by the size of the dog nappy section the first time I visited a Japanese supermarket.

Outside Japan they are also used for incontinent dogs and non-neutered female dogs when they're in heat or having their doggie period. Again, not as daft or cruel as it may sound.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: imitationleather on May 09, 2021, 11:59:35 AM

It turns out you can.

That's a bit weird tbh.

I think that's for female dogs in heat? I've heard of people going the makeshift route and using a pare of briefs with a hole cut through for the tale.

steve98

I've never had a cat that would co-operate, even for a second,  in any way in anything, certainly not dressing-up as Anne Of Green flippin' Gables.

idunnosomename

Quote from: Blue Jam on May 09, 2021, 12:05:13 PM
In Japan it's quite common to see dogs wearing nappies, under a little "nappy harness". I remember being bemused by the size of the dog nappy section the first time I visited a Japanese supermarket.

Outside Japan they are also used for incontinent dogs and non-neutered female dogs when they're in heat or having their doggie period. Again, not as daft or cruel as it may sound.
kabosuma, the OG doge who is still going on Instagram, was wearing one after some sort of treatment last year, which seemed pretty reasonable

surely they don't just wear nappies like children? god changing a human's is bad enough. can you imagine changing a dog's nappy? doesnt bear thinking about

Kankurette

Quote from: Blue Jam on May 09, 2021, 12:01:27 PM
Yes, whenever I see a cat in a little costume my first thought is how the owner even managed to get it on them without getting clawed to fuck. I can't even imagine how people get them into those pet carriers to take them to the vets etc.

I'm just too much of a dog person I guess. I don't speak Cat and I don't understand why they need to communicate with their claws so much. My cats-in-law are nice but one of them seems completely unable to tell me she's had enough of being stroked without drawing blood.
I did see a video of a cat wearing various fun outfits and the cat clearly liked and trusted his owner a lot, judging by how he reacted to the camera. His name was Rover, gorgeous black kitty. But he's an exception and my cat is a traumatised boy, it's taken me months to get to the point where he can sit on me and I can pet him without him going for me. Putting clothes on Gary would be like trying to climb Mount Everest.

You can get kitty toothbrushes, they're like rubbery thimbles, but good luck trying to brush kitty's teeth. I managed to do it with my old cat but he wriggled like hell. I've not even tried with Gary. I can't even brush his fur without him going 'STOP THAT NOW'.

Glebe

chveik

Gurke and Hare

Quote from: Blue Jam on May 09, 2021, 12:01:27 PM
I can't even imagine how people get them into those pet carriers to take them to the vets etc.

One of my cats loved the carrier, to the extent that when we got back from the vet's and I opened the door she used to hang out in there for a while.

steve98

Quote from: Gurke and Hare on May 09, 2021, 03:14:18 PM
One of my cats loved the carrier, to the extent that when we got back from the vet's and I opened the door she used to hang out in there for a while.

Dex Sawash

Quote from: chveik on May 09, 2021, 03:08:52 PM

Will be in spasms of laughter for hours.
Soon wife will ask if I've been looking at that damn vomit dog again.