Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 11:31:19 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Framing Britney Spears (2021)

Started by bgmnts, May 08, 2021, 11:50:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bgmnts

A documentary briefly detailing the life and career of Britney Spears, specifically her conservatorship and the relationship sith her father.

Its a sad state of affairs and to be honest I loathe almost everyone involved; the father, the tabloids, the paparazzi, the fans. Everyone is at fault for this utter shitshow.

Is Britney the peak of 24 hour celebrity and the dangers that arise from that? I distinctly remember the voice of compassionate reason were Matt Stone and Trey Parker, who notoriously are anti celeb culture.

Now, when SOUTH PARK are the voice of compassion... that's fucked up isn't it?

BlodwynPig

Quote from: bgmnts on May 08, 2021, 11:50:01 AM
A documentary briefly detailing the life and career of Britney Spears, specifically her conservatorship and the relationship sith her father.

Another fucking Stars War thread

popcorn

I know basically nothing about Birtney so I sort of found it interesting enough as a very functional, plain summary of All What She Done. I found the footage of her performing in shopping malls fascinating, what a way to become a star! I didn't know that was an option, I've been wasting my life.

I found the actual case around the conservatorship very strange though, in that it's unusual, mysterious and also deeply boring. Her "meltdown" was never that sensational or dramatic (not that this is the thesis of the documentary) - as far I can tell she got justifiably fed up with a rum bunch of cunts, did something spontaneous and weird and shaved her hair off, wow, radical. I've seen people do madder things than that down the fucken disco.

I didn't really understand why her dad being the conservator is necessarily bad. It's kind of assumed that her dad is imprisoning her against her will, or making decisions without her etc, but that's what we always do with ill people if they're deemed to be a danger to themselves or others in some way. Not that it's impossible he's abusing the system or anything, but  the evidence amounted to an anonymous source who emailed a fan podcast (??) and a lawyer saying "we'll never know what was in that document..." Is that it? To be honest whenever there are "fan justice" movements like these it just makes me more suspicious, like all the deranged fans insisting MJ was framed etc.

#freebirtney

Famous Mortimer

Quote from: popcorn on May 08, 2021, 01:24:37 PM
the evidence amounted to an anonymous source who emailed a fan podcast (??)
I listened to the 'Lady To Lady' podcast around the time they talked so much about the weirdness of Britney's Instagram that they decided to make a spin-off, and then saw it change fairly quickly from a bit of light fun about the oddity of Britney's presented life to an in-depth discussion of the legal issues surrounding her conservatorship.

I tend to believe their source, and it seems the stuff that's come out since at least doesn't contradict it. The contradiction between her apparently being so mentally ill she can't have control of the least part of her own life on one hand, and being able to go out, perform and make new music on the other, is one I've never had satisfactorily explained by anyone in favour of the current legal situation.

JesusAndYourBush

Ah this must have been reshown somewhere?  Since it was first shown in Feb.  It's also worth watching a new documentary that was on BBC2 on Wednesday that's been made since the first one was shown... https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p09f9xkb

Quote from: popcorn on May 08, 2021, 01:24:37 PM
as far I can tell she got justifiably fed up with a rum bunch of cunts

I put the blame for her meltdown on TMZ.  I followed this all at the time it was happening.  In the months before her meltdown they'd been camped outside her house and would wait there every night with cameras, then when she appeared they'd post the footage on their site.  Once the footage started appearing on the site it gave other people the idea to do the same and pretty soon you had a baying mob of like 30 or more people outside her house every night, although TMZ seemed to be the only site posting footage, everyone else was just in it for the luls.  At first I genuinely think she enjoyed the attention until it got too much and it wouldn't stop.  Paparazzi used to keep a kindof respectful distance but she'd encouraged them and at that point it was like King Knut trying to hold back the tides.  Sometimes she'd traipse off to a local store to buy a snack or a Pepsi or something and this whole mob of dickheads would follow her calling out her name.  Of course it culminated in them making her lose her rag and she shaved her head, and a few days later attacked a car with an umbrella.

I remember when the conservatorship was first mentioned and my perception at the time (which I accept might have been incorrect) was that she was constantly partying and acting irresponsibly and the reason given at the time was to stop her doing something she'd regret (drink/drugs).