Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 10:37:10 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Trains gone

Started by Zetetic, May 08, 2021, 01:54:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zetetic

Or "Hitachi done a yaw-damper-bolster-dozy on the Class 800s", if you prefer[nb]Lifting jack pockets have also been mentioned.[/nb]. Long-distance rail travel no longer exists in most of Great Britain with at least the East Coast Main Line, Great West Main Line, and Transpennine services largely disabled.

Possibly the result of shoving diesel engines in them at the last minute because the alternative was funding infrastructure serving a purpose other funnelling labour to the imperial capital.

Class 220s still working fine, if you think it's acceptable to spend hours stewing in other people's cooking effluent which apparently most people in Britain do.

Cuellar

Is that the Captain Tom Moore knackered then? The final indignity. I suppose having a train in the UK named after you is a pretty big insult anyway.

Sebastian Cobb

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-57036247

OP feels a little like a riddle without some initial context tbh.

Zetetic

Quote from: Cuellar on May 08, 2021, 01:57:32 PM
Is that the Captain Tom Moore knackered then? The final indignity.
Yes, it's looking very much like the remains of the Captain will have to be shipped to a Hitachi facility for inspection and then probably torn apart for scrap.

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on May 08, 2021, 01:58:39 PM
Thank you.

QuoteOP feels a little like a riddle without some initial context tbh.
Thank you.

idunnosomename

this wouldnt happen if the woke brigade let us used steam engines again like the people of Britain really wanted

Gambrinus

Can they dig up the Class 43s and use them instead? They felt more comfortable.

Dex Sawash

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on May 08, 2021, 01:58:39 PM

OP feels a little like a riddle without some initial context tbh.

Should make a Zetetic explainer person account

Glitch King

Quote from: Dex Sawash on May 08, 2021, 03:13:45 PM
Should make a Zetetic explainer person account

It is a deeply unsettling post from our dear friend but hopefully febrile and nothing more. Such accounts promote harm over elucidation. Best wishes Zetetic x

Blumf

Quote from: Gambrinus on May 08, 2021, 02:49:00 PM
Can they dig up the Class 43s and use them instead? They felt more comfortable.

Sod that, give us the Pacers!!

Wonderful Butternut

Pacers were barely a step up from the Top Gear caravan train.

Sebastian Cobb

I'm mildly obsessed with the pieces of shit tbh.

Although I'm also mildly obsessed with the failed and now removed Merry Hill Monorail so accept I have niche interests.

Are you old enough to remember the maglev shuttle that ran between Birmingham International railway station and the airport? Sadly, I am :(

Video Game Fan 2000

Quote from: Voltan (Man of Steel) on May 08, 2021, 08:52:08 PM
Are you old enough to remember the maglev shuttle that ran between Birmingham International railway station and the airport? Sadly, I am :(

Opened a whole bunch of Mini Boglins on this once.

Sebastian Cobb

Remember's a strong word! Looking at it, it looks familiar but don't recall seeing it up close. My ages are right though!

What amazes me about the Monorail is it cost £22 million in late-80's money, in a fucking mall. Surely it was just a way to funnel a shitload of money to developers!?

Also it often operated sporadically, so how did that work with staff/drivers?

So many questions. Might make a thread.

Blumf

The Merry Hill monorail is old news. The Stourbridge Town branch line is where it's at now!

Bet they could take over the Hitachi 800's routes.

Sebastian Cobb

Lpg engine powering a flywheel, how cute!

It turns out Lego used to do a monorail electric trainset in space:

Fuck their Star Wars shit, this is way cooler.

pigamus

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on May 08, 2021, 08:16:28 PM
I'm mildly obsessed with the pieces of shit tbh.

Although I'm also mildly obsessed with the failed and now removed Merry Hill Monorail so accept I have niche interests.

Are the Pacers the ones that are basically buses? I used to get those between Cardiff and Bristol when I was a student, I loved them

Zetetic

Was on a Pacer last Saturday.

It was fine. They're not, really, not if you had to commute on them in the winter or something, but it was fine.

Better than being on a Class 220 unless you really love the stench of other people's warmed over shit, but maybe you - whoever is reading this - do, most people in Britain seem to.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: pigamus on May 08, 2021, 09:13:43 PM
Are the Pacers the ones that are basically buses? I used to get those between Cardiff and Bristol when I was a student, I loved them

Yes. I'm wooly on the actual specifics of what is and isn't a true Pacer, buzby's posted about them a few times.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Zetetic on May 08, 2021, 09:17:44 PM
Was on a Pacer last Saturday.

It was fine. They're not, really, not if you had to commute on them in the winter or something, but it was fine.

Better than being on a Class 220 unless you really love the stench of other people's warmed over shit, but maybe you - whoever is reading this - do, most people in Britain seem to.

Are they markedly better or worse than the 390 in that regard? If I go almost anywhere by train one of those trains will be involved and I can't say I've noticed much difference. I assume they're both hoppers given their age.

Zetetic

Class 390s don't have diesel-powered shit cookers, so I assume they're fine.

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on May 08, 2021, 09:25:40 PMIf I go almost anywhere by train one of those trains will be involved and I can't say I've noticed much difference.
Then I guess we have to conclude that Britain has got to you, and now you - and 60 million other people - have become inured to baking in strangers' faeces. It's a way to be, I suppose.

Sebastian Cobb

Hmm well I generally suggest not sitting near the toilets and packing some tins of lager and optionally a hangover for the journey.

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on May 08, 2021, 08:55:40 PM

What amazes me about the Monorail is it cost £22 million in late-80's money, in a fucking mall. Surely it was just a way to funnel a shitload of money to developers!?

Also it often operated sporadically, so how did that work with staff/drivers?

So many questions. Might make a thread.

It might well have been a bit of a vanity project on the part of the developers, the Richardson twins. Back in the late 80s I distinctly remember them saying they were proposing to build the tallest tower in the world. In Brierley fucking Hill!

"While the centre was still being developed in the late-1980s, plans were unveiled to build the world's tallest tower at Merry Hill. The tower would have been 2,000 feet tall, with a hotel at its base, a restaurant halfway up and a nightclub plus observatory at the top. However, plans to build it were scrapped in 1992."

Captain Z

Imagine how much cocaine must have been consumed in those late 80s Merry Hill development offices.

Sebastian Cobb

Imagine the coverage the pirate stations could've got from that. The now gone towerblocks round there were a favourite.

Well nobody had heard of Dubai until the Burj Khalifa was built, so just imagine how many international jet-setters would have been drawn to Brierley Hill if the tower had gone ahead. Premiership footballers and their wives dining in the restaurant halfway up, 1000 ft above the former steelworks site. "And will madam be having the orange chips or klondikes with her battered sausage?"

Blumf

Dubai has a better human rights record than Brierley Hill.

Flouncer

Where the fuck is Buzby at? He should be all over this thread like a rash.

Zetetic

I assume he's biding his time until the OP can be comprehensively corrected.

Zetetic

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on May 08, 2021, 09:47:42 PM
Hmm well I generally suggest not sitting near the toilets
I don't actually think this helps - the smell comes from the sewage tank being constantly warmed by the dorsal exhaust. How it then gets reliably drawn into the carriages, I don't know though.

Quoteand packing some tins of lager and optionally a hangover for the journey.
I can't disagree with the advice in general, but I'm not consuming anything while enveloped in a fug of piss if possible.