Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 12:26:02 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Trains gone

Started by Zetetic, May 08, 2021, 01:54:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

steve98

Quote from: Zetetic on May 09, 2021, 09:13:18 AM
a fug of piss if possible.

That has a nice, soporific Night Train rhythm to it: A fug - of piss - if pos - sible, a fug - of piss - if pos - sible...... Ooo Ah could just nod off to that.

New page.

thenoise

Elf and safety innit. Cracks in the bleedin trains. In my day we'd have patched them up with newspaper and an old bootlace and bloody well got on with it.

dissolute ocelot

Don't trains need cracks? How would they get round bends in the track otherwise?[nb]And to think I wanted to be an engine driver when I was 4.[/nb]

Ambient Sheep

Quote from: Zetetic on May 09, 2021, 09:13:18 AMI don't actually think this helps - the smell comes from the sewage tank being constantly warmed by the dorsal exhaust. How it then gets reliably drawn into the carriages, I don't know though.

I could be wrong, but I believe some bright spark put the aircon inlets right near the tanks.

buzby

Quote from: Ambient Sheep on May 09, 2021, 03:49:59 PM
I could be wrong, but I believe some bright spark put the aircon inlets right near the tanks.
Agian, mining my 'Greatest Hits' folder:
Voyager/Pendolino Stench and Pacer History post

The Hitatchi IET issues with cracks to the bodyshell jacking points are not that uncommon. The BREL-designed 158/159 classes which required their yaw damper mounting points to be beefed up and increased maintenance cycles to this day for monitoring after cracks were found. More recently the Siemens CAF-built Class 332 (heathrow Express) also needed modification after fatigue cracking to the anti-roll bar mountings was found, and even more recently (like, last month), the CAF-built Class 331 and 397 EMUs, Class 195 and 196 DMUs and the Mk5 coaches for Northern and TPE were also discovered to have cracked welds where the yaw damper mountings attached to the car bodies.

In fact, it was the discovery of the cracks in the Class 195s that prompted Hitachi to start looking at the IETs that were in for maintenance. They saw a crack in the paintwork on one set and initially thought it was just scoring but did an NDT check, and when the results showed a small but significant crack around one of the jacking points The jacking points are directly welded to the same area that have the cracks in just above yaw damper bracket mounting point and anti-roll bar attachment, so although they are saying it's the jacking points it's more likely to the stresses induced in the other mountings in the area that's causing the cracks (the jacking points are only stressed when the bodyshells are lifted off the bogies for maintenance).

They then started looking at other units that had visible paintwork cracks. This resulted in 8 units being withdrawn the weekend before last, and  all 80x users were sent an urgent technical advice to start checking, which resulted in the NIR Safety Bulletin being issued.

These other cases are particularly relevant as like the IETs they also have an aluminium 'tube' structural monocoque car body instead of a steel monocoque body (like the Mk3 coach-derived units) or body on underframe construction. Aluminium is more prone to fatigue failure than steel from stress cycling, and something specific to the yaw experienced with the UK's trackwork standards is leading to fatigue failures at specific stress points (possibly due to tighter curves allowed by our smaller loading gauge).

Fambo Number Mive

That's pretty disgusting.

Read this on Twitter:

QuoteIf the email was verifiably sent from West Midlands Trains' mail servers then I suspect they will find far from being an exercise that they've just entered into a contract to pay their staff a bonus

Be interesting to know what the legal repercussions would be from this.

Kelvin

That really is unbelievable.

Aaron500

Are we sure that the story about the hairline cracks isn't just another test from the IT guys?

It sounds a bit dubious. Yaw damper? Yeah, right, course it is.

Gurke and Hare

Obviously it's absolute cunt behaviour, but I'm going to guess that the twitter bloke who thinks it might constitute a contract isn't actually a lawyer.

fat_abbott

If anything it's now justification for ignoring any email requests in the future... Do this peasant, nah phishing innit, ignore.

Sebastian Cobb

An old workplace did something like this but offering the choice to work a 9-day fortnight. They were tight cunts so that was a much bigger giveaway than the domain or slightly out of place branding.

Zetetic

Quote from: Aaron500 on May 11, 2021, 12:45:38 AM
It sounds a bit dubious. Yaw damper? Yeah, right, course it is.
The term "jacking point" wouldn't make it past my corporate web filter.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: fat_abbott on May 11, 2021, 12:29:42 PM
If anything it's now justification for ignoring any email requests in the future... Do this peasant, nah phishing innit, ignore.

Just keep reporting any corporate bullshit as suspicious imo. If you're lucky the exchange server might block it.

Another Seb top tip: nobody ever cc's anything important so you can fuck that into a folder and mark it as read.

seepage

Yeah, an old boss had an Outlook rule that deleted anything cc'd, and a warning as such in their signature.

Dex Sawash

Quote from: Zetetic on May 11, 2021, 12:44:34 PM
The term "jacking point" wouldn't make it past my corporate web filter.

Could try Upphängningspunkterna