Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 03:42:30 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Labour Party - We are not the party of people on benefits

Started by king_tubby, May 08, 2021, 09:41:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pancreas

I believe they do, yes. They certainly asked Starmer to go on. JVL would field someone in a heartbeat.

Buelligan

Quote from: LynnBenfield69 on June 13, 2021, 12:00:39 AM
I know you're not dunking on Michael, what on earth is the problem that people have with him?

While personally I identify more with the bullish Aaron, I wouldn't want him to host the show - Michael is a great host and holds it all together. I don't think Ash or Aaron could sustain it like he does.

Don't have a problem with him but do think he's just not very intellectually robust.  And that's fine but sometimes he asserts stuff as if there can only be one explanation, even when he's not sure how to pronounce the words he's using to make that assertion.  I still like him.  I used to think this behaviour was just a ploy, to present the listener with several viewpoints, make stuff more inclusive (a good thing) but now I sometimes wonder if it's because he's a Labrador and fetching the slipper worked last time.

Also, he has a terrible way of asking someone, really notice it with Moya and Dalia, a question, they give a long answer and he just says Mmm in a way that implies he didn't listen after the first five seconds and what was said was dubious and probably balls.  He does it quite a bit.  I'd prefer, if he does think something's too long winded or wrong or bollocks, he'd interrupt and question it or do something to get the discussion moving in a better way.  Still like him, mind.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Quote from: idunnosomename on June 12, 2021, 02:25:05 PM
going for the "DO YOU REMEMBER WOOLWORTHS PICK N MIX?!??" angle on the campaigning, I see

https://twitter.com/kimleadbeater/status/1402250777452847109

The way they have planted the key words that a focus group have told them is important is so transparently conceited it rather undermined the so-called personal touch.

Buelligan

Also what is the personal touch?  It's been around for an awfully long time, people like Cyril Smith appeared to have it.  If it's such a great thing, how is it manifest?  What does it tell us about minty-breathed surgical glove-wearers like Keith?

BlodwynPig

Quote from: pancreas on June 13, 2021, 12:31:20 AM
Amongst other things, they do all need to be judged by their response to the 'antisemitism crisis'. On that count Walker fails very badly, Bastani not so much, Sarkar somewhere in the middle. But they all failed. The left needed these people to stick their necks out and apply some basic scientific rigour to that episode, but they didn't. You will notice that no-one from JVL has ever been asked onto Novara Media.

That was the turning point.

Johnny Yesno

You will notice that no-one from JVL has ever been asked onto Novara Media.

No, I will not notice that no one from JVL has ever been asked onto Novara Media.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b2pWVam6Hs0

Johnny Yesno

idunnosomename

Vote for me, Jo Cox's sister, and I will bring back

• 10p Freddos
  • white dog muck
  • hanging

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Johnny Yesno on June 13, 2021, 12:32:08 PM
This is why I absolutely don't trust your judgement.

A difference of opinion is healthy.

I am not constrained by judgement.

pancreas

Quote from: Johnny Yesno on June 13, 2021, 12:30:54 PM
No, I will not notice that no one from JVL has ever been asked onto Novara Media.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b2pWVam6Hs0

Fair enough. I stand corrected.

Perhaps they might have considered inviting her on before she was suspended, though. Perhaps any point from 2017-2019 would have been worth a shot.

Buelligan

Being fair though, there were an awful lot of decent good-intentioned and natured, totally fine, people who were a bit off the ball when it came to that whole thing.  Maybe it's that fools and angels thing.

Sebastian Cobb

Amongst other things, they do all need to be judged by their response to the 'antisemitism crisis'. On that count Walker fails very badly, Bastani not so much, Sarkar somewhere in the middle. But they all failed. The left needed these people to stick their necks out and apply some basic scientific rigour to that episode, but they didn't. You will notice that no-one from JVL has ever been asked onto Novara Media.

I think the most damning thing they did was get Peter Singer on, it would've only taken a bit of basic googling to see he has a few questionable eugenicist views. Worse, when they got some flack they dithered and made a none-apology.

This appears to have been a red line for some people. I'm not prepared to write them off over it, but it wasn't good.

Jockice

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on June 13, 2021, 03:54:27 PM
I think the most damning thing they did was get Peter Singer on, it would've only taken a bit of basic googling to see he has a few questionable eugenicist views. Worse, when they got some flack they dithered and made a none-apology.

This appears to have been a red line for some people. I'm not prepared to write them off over it, but it wasn't good.

Yeah, that one was really pushing their luck. I haven't defriended them (or whatever they call it on Twitter) but I know several other disabled people who have.

Johnny Yesno

Quote from: pancreas on June 13, 2021, 01:25:11 PM
Fair enough. I stand corrected.

Perhaps they might have considered inviting her on before she was suspended, though. Perhaps any point from 2017-2019 would have been worth a shot.

Perhaps they should have invited someone from higher up in the organisation and at a more important time.

Paul Calf

Perhaps we should be a bit more forgiving to people who are basically very much on the side of truth and reconciliation and who have managed to secure a reasonable degree of visibility in this Stasiland media landscape.

Chollis

QuoteJon Stone @joncstone
Keir Starmer tells LBC he's doing badly in the polls because he's "battling against a pretty strong headwind" of the government's "fantastically successful" vaccine roll-out.

https://twitter.com/joncstone/status/1404355427484291072?s=20

imitationleather

Blaming doing terribly on the government being too good is an interesting tactic, it has to be said.

If the government are so great why don't we all just vote Tory then?

Fabian Thomsett

idunnosomename

Sir Keir Starmer is a beautiful man. This is the opposition we deserve.

Jockice

Quote from: Paul Calf on June 14, 2021, 09:04:07 AM
Perhaps we should be a bit more forgiving to people who are basically very much on the side of truth and reconciliation and who have managed to secure a reasonable degree of visibility in this Stasiland media landscape.

Oh no, not The Stasiland Question.

pigamus

If Novara aren't good enough for you then the left is a bit fucked

Paul Calf

jobotic

Why hasn't Starmer appeared on GB News yet, it's been going a day.

He needs to convince their viewers that Labour aren't woke and will deport brown people too.

Blumf

Quote from: jobotic on June 14, 2021, 11:45:46 AM

In fairness, the GB News studio doesn't have enough flags, might make Keith look dangerously unpatriotic.

olliebean

Quote from: imitationleather on June 14, 2021, 10:48:05 AM
Blaming doing terribly on the government being too good is an interesting tactic, it has to be said.

Especially when it's the NHS, not the government, who are administering the "fantastically successful" vaccine roll-out.

Zetetic

They might also want to think about this relates to Wales (remember the only national Labour government in the UK?) and the attempts of the Westminster government to lay claim to that as well.

peanutbutter

Quote from: jobotic on June 14, 2021, 11:45:46 AM

He needs to convince their viewers that Labour aren't woke and will deport brown people too.
They're currently being paralysed by the confusion over Batley and Spen's muslim population actually caring about Palestine

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Be a shame if that was the clincher for them and they voted Tory

NoSleep

Won't they vote for Galloway in preference to that? Surely that's why he entered the contest.