Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 01:55:37 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Labour Party - We are not the party of people on benefits

Started by king_tubby, May 08, 2021, 09:41:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Buelligan

And really extremely weird.  I hope you get deported.

imitationleather

I agree he wasn't thinking of her race and background when he said it. But he should have been thinking of it and chosen his words more carefully. When you say stuff like that about someone who's from a minority it's basically impossible to style it out.

It's like when Ken Livingstone accused someone of being a Nazi concentration camp guard and then they turned out to be Jewish. Although as, unlike Ken, his reaction when advised of the mistake wasn't to double down on the statement I think he deserves to be cut a bit of slack.

lipsink

This is promising: https://news.sky.com/story/countdown-star-rachel-riley-loses-latest-round-of-libel-battle-12306399

QuoteTelevision presenter Rachel Riley has lost the latest round of a libel battle with a political blogger and Jeremy Corbyn supporter over an article which alleged that she engaged in a "campaign of online abuse and harassment" against a teenager on Twitter.

thugler

Quote from: holyzombiejesus on May 14, 2021, 04:43:44 PM
I think that's fucking well out of order. You have nothing to support that and it's incredibly unfair.

Except that it would be difficult to deport someone who was not from an immigrant family wouldn't it? where would you deport them to? If you talk about deporting someone who is a first generation immigrant it has a different connotation to saying it about someone who is not. I really don't see how that's so difficult for people to understand.

imitationleather

He wasn't seriously saying the Home Secretary should be deported though. It was a figure of speech suggesting giving them a bit of their own medicine and to communicate how strongly he felt about it.

It just then unfortunately turned out that the current Home Secretary's parents were indeed immigrants and he'd done a racism.

The Culture Bunker

Quote from: thugler on May 14, 2021, 05:03:00 PM
Except that it would be difficult to deport someone who was not from an immigrant family wouldn't it? where would you deport them to? If you talk about deporting someone who is a first generation immigrant it has a different connotation to saying it about someone who is not. I really don't see how that's so difficult for people to understand.
I have had braying Tory boys say I should be deported to North Korea "with all the other leftie wankers", despite the fact my family history is entirely on this island as far back as records seem to show.

Fambo Number Mive

Andrew wants his hero Blair back: https://twitter.com/Andrew_Adonis/status/1393112607133941764

I can guarantee Blair as leader would decimate membership and ensure the Tories get a 150 seat majority at the next election.

thugler

Quote from: imitationleather on May 14, 2021, 05:05:43 PM
He wasn't seriously saying the Home Secretary should be deported though. It was a figure of speech suggesting giving them a bit of their own medicine and to communicate how strongly he felt about it.

It just then unfortunately turned out that the current Home Secretary's parents were indeed immigrants and he'd done a racism.

Yeah fucking obviously, I'm not suggesting for a moment that he's actually racist. But it has a different connotation. Just like saying someone 'should be lynched' is a bit different if you said it to a black person (obviously that's an extreme example). This isn't me suggesting he was serious.

It's not the worst crime in the world, but it was stupid and he was better off just saying what he said he was trying to say when he apologised. Just say what you actually mean rather than make dumb jokes.

Ferris

Quote from: Fambo Number Mive on May 14, 2021, 05:13:20 PM
Andrew wants his hero Blair back: https://twitter.com/Andrew_Adonis/status/1393112607133941764

I can guarantee Blair as leader would decimate membership and ensure the Tories get a 150 seat majority at the next election.

I love "time for Blair!" like it's a 'break glass in case of emergency' type solution, only it's a solution to completely obliterate a political party and it isn't the one Adonis thinks.

Some cracking replies too https://mobile.twitter.com/MrJMuir1/status/1393115242327166978

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Old Thrashbarg on May 14, 2021, 11:25:44 AM
I know! I'm saying fuck the apologising, make your point (better) and stand by it. Don't back down to these cunts.

Can get behind this. Not everyone gifted with ye olde gabbe though

Zetetic

There's no Labour politician to hand that comes with a substantially better approval rating than Matt Hancock or Priti Patel, let alone Johnson or Sunak.

Depressingly Blair probably wouldn't be a massive downgrade from Starmer on this narrow perspective.

(Burnham has the possible advantage of not actually be terribly well-known.)

ZoyzaSorris

I'm up for Blair back as leader. I think the ensuing catastrophe might be what it takes to finally shatter these lunatics' delusions.

jobotic

Quote from: Fambo Number Mive on May 14, 2021, 05:13:20 PM

I read this and think they're fucking deranged, like Gary Glitter fans who think he was set up. But of course for them a 150 seat Tory majority is preferable to a Labour government that actually makes a worthwhile difference.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Quote from: jobotic on May 14, 2021, 06:52:24 PM
I read this and think they're fucking deranged, like Gary Glitter fans who think he was set up. But of course for them a 150 seat Tory majority is preferable to a Labour government that actually makes a worthwhile difference.

And when the loss comes, it will intensify the centrist media calls for the so-called Progressive Alliance, which every time appears to contain the Lib Dems, the party that had a choice between a progressive alliance in 2010 or a coalition with the Tories. Remind me how that went?

It really is all about turning the UK political scene into a Dems vs Reps situation, two cheeks of the same arse.

Buelligan

Quote from: thugler on May 14, 2021, 05:03:00 PM

Some immigrant families are white, would it be OK to hope they were deported?  Treating his remark as if it were racist, because you can, not because it was, is the sort of dishonest logic-chopping for political advantage that has destroyed peoples' faith in Labour.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: jobotic on May 14, 2021, 06:52:24 PM

Blair is to left wing for the Labour power brokers

Johnny Yesno

Quote from: imitationleather on May 14, 2021, 04:55:43 PM
I agree he wasn't thinking of her race and background when he said it. But he should have been thinking of it and chosen his words more carefully. When you say stuff like that about someone who's from a minority it's basically impossible to style it out.

It's like when Ken Livingstone accused someone of being a Nazi concentration camp guard and then they turned out to be Jewish. Although as, unlike Ken, his reaction when advised of the mistake wasn't to double down on the statement I think he deserves to be cut a bit of slack.

This.

Johnny Yesno

Quote from: The Culture Bunker on May 14, 2021, 05:07:03 PM
I have had braying Tory boys say I should be deported to North Korea "with all the other leftie wankers", despite the fact my family history is entirely on this island as far back as records seem to show.

Yes, you see 'If you don't like it here, etc.' directed at the left by right wingers a lot. However, it is worse when it's directed at minorities.

lipsink

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on May 14, 2021, 07:03:44 PM
And when the loss comes, it will intensify the centrist media calls for the so-called Progressive Alliance, which every time appears to contain the Lib Dems, the party that had a choice between a progressive alliance in 2010 or a coalition with the Tories. Remind me how that went?

It really is all about turning the UK political scene into a Dems vs Reps situation, two cheeks of the same arse.

I can imagine Matt Forde losing his shit and doing mental gymnastics about how Blair didn't get a fair crack of the whip cos of all these "hard left fanatics" have ruined the Party. All while he sits in his room cry wanking with 'Things Can Only Get Better' on repeat.

thugler

Quote from: Buelligan on May 14, 2021, 07:05:50 PM
Some immigrant families are white, would it be OK to hope they were deported?  Treating his remark as if it were racist, because you can, not because it was, is the sort of dishonest logic-chopping for political advantage that has destroyed peoples' faith in Labour.

Of course not, but that's why I didn't refer to skin colour in my post(s), I said people from immigrant families. I'm not treating him as a racist, someone who makes a flippant joke to make a point is not a racist, that doesn't mean they haven't done so in poor judgement. Just because I think he's made a mistake that doesn't mean I agree with the punishment, but we don't have to defend this just because he's from the left.

Really don't see how it's so hard to understand how deportation is something that might be more of an issue when towards someone who is a 1st generation immigrant.

BlodwynPig

Sickening that some people danced on Thatcher's grave

Buelligan

Quote from: thugler on May 14, 2021, 09:53:45 PM
Of course not, but that's why I didn't refer to skin colour in my post(s), I said people from immigrant families. I'm not treating him as a racist, someone who makes a flippant joke to make a point is not a racist, that doesn't mean they haven't done so in poor judgement. Just because I think he's made a mistake that doesn't mean I agree with the punishment, but we don't have to defend this just because he's from the left.

Really don't see how it's so hard to understand how deportation is something that might be more of an issue when towards someone who is a 1st generation immigrant.

I'm an immigrant.  An immigrant for the second time in my life.  I applaud people saying that Patel deserves to suffer through deportation, which she happily visits on people like me all the live long day.  She deserves far worse.  It's come to a pretty pass when the Party worries more about upsetting her sensibilities or how it might look, than calling out that awful hateful cunt. 

They won't even call for a tory to resign but they'll eagerly suspend a comrade for optics.  They'll use racism as a tool for weeding out their political opponents, but only the ones in the Party.  They need to work out what they stand for.

idunnosomename

Quote from: BlodwynPig on May 14, 2021, 10:08:01 PM
Sickening that some people danced on Thatcher's grave
no place for such frivolities. trousers down, curl one out

idunnosomename

BlodwynPig

buttgammon

Sir Keith's Labour Party: where people still think The Wire is a very up to date reference.

Buelligan

The only relevant thing in the whole article is the question Why are you here? What are you actually doing this for?

Everything all about Keith and Ange and what some twat who works for them thinks or is like.  What are they like?

Meanwhile, the country goes through what it's going through and gives up waiting for an increasingly irrelevant, pointless, group of middle managers to stop squabbling.