Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 06:38:41 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Rob Brydon's Annually Retentive

Started by amateur, May 09, 2021, 12:01:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

amateur

I went to see an episode of this at the live recording, where it wasn't made clear that the end result wasn't going to be a straight panel show. It was an odd experience.

I vaguely remember seeing a few episodes of the first series but don't have a firm grasp of whether it was any good or not.

Was it? Is it worth seeking out online? I don't think it's been repeated at any rate.

DrGreggles

I seem to recall enjoying this at the time.
Rob Brydon was very good at being 'Rob Brydon the arsehole'.

There was apparently a 2nd series, but that totally passed me by.

neveragain

It was a good idea but became too formulaic. Scene of the writer's room, Rob going "I can't do that!", cut to clip of the show, Rob doing that. Sadly it didn't take full advantage of the premise in an imaginative Larry Sanders way. There was one episode in the second series done in the style of an episode of 'Who Do You Think You Are?' about Rob, but after searching that out it too was a disappointment.

Utter Shit

I haven't watched it in years, but I have both series of this if anyone wants them.

amateur

Quote from: Utter Shit on May 09, 2021, 05:22:38 PM
I haven't watched it in years, but I have both series of this if anyone wants them.

Love 'em!

Jerzy Bondov

I went to a taping for the second series. Towards the end Brydon kept fucking up some line or other and it was hilarious. My face hurt from laughing. After a while he came out from behind the desk and explained that as part of the episode his character was deliberately trying to make a funny blooper by fucking up on purpose. He went back, sat down, and carried on doing exactly what he'd been doing before, but his explanation had totally sucked the fun out of it. I haven't seen the actual episode but presumably they used both reactions. Brilliant manipulation; I loved it

zomgmouse

I remember enjoying this quite a bit; underrated. Sharon Horgan very good in this also.

Mobius

Quote from: Utter Shit on May 09, 2021, 05:22:38 PM

Yes please! I tried to find them a while ago and had some trouble.

Barry Admin

Can any further replies to that be taken to PM please so as not to disrupt the discussion? Thanks.

Mobius

sorry

(ugh thought i was modifying my previous posted but ended up just quoting it - ignore this)

Jackson K Pollock

I remember streaming it on Lovefilm (?) about 5 or 6 years ago and quite enjoying it.

The fake quiz show bit is actually a really interesting slice of early-2000s culture. I remember being pretty shocked in the first episode to see a 'high status' and fairly slim Richard Herring comedically bullying a largely unknown and (relatively) overweight Jimmy Carr.

How the tables would soon turn!

And I'm sure there were plenty of other guests who with hindsight you ask either 'Whatever happened to?" or "How on earth did they manage to get?" respectively.

Also remember the "Who Do You Think You Are?" episode being absolutely terrible.

garbed_attic

I remember being hugely disappointed by it in the wake of the brilliant Human Remains, Marion and Geoff and even Director's Commentary. Has Brydon done anything with so much pathos or darkness since?