Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 09:57:56 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Revisiting Ricky Gervais' XFM shows

Started by Utter Shit, May 09, 2021, 05:27:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mobius

Thumped a monkey is a favourite of mine

JaDanketies

Ew just got a sponsored Facebook advertisement for a multi-episode podcast hosted by Gervais and Sam Harris. Mask off

checkoutgirl

Quote from: famethrowa on May 13, 2021, 11:41:37 AM
I still fondly remember "having a nice morning in bed, but out of biscuits = lie-in-no rich-tea (Lionel Ritchie). Top larfs

Karl didn't even come up with that, it was a listener that sent it in.

checkoutgirl

Quote from: famethrowa on May 13, 2021, 12:30:38 PM
The classic:

"So you've got 3 kebabs, 2 kebabs, 4 kebabs together, what you got?the fella's strugglin' to work it out"

Spoiler alert
Donna Summer
[close]

checkoutgirl

Quote from: TommyTurnips on May 13, 2021, 07:55:44 PM
Who could forget the item called "Do we need 'em".

One scenario involved Karl telling the woman she's on the Ark and "Noah is a good looking bloke so you're happy" and the woman doesn't know what to make of it. Ricky later asks why Karl stopped there and didn't suggest sexual positions to the woman.

I've been relistening to old episodes in honour of this thread. It really is one of the funniest things ever.

Video Game Fan 2000

Relieving to re-listen to some early ones and have Karl's concern about not being "tight" is mostly evident from the beginning where as the other two are cackling about fatties every chance they get.

Video Game Fan 2000

I wonder where the throat cancer story came from. It was a popular one down by us. Relative allegedly died because a parasite/tumour crawled up her throat towards a saucer of milk when she dozed off somewhere.

checkoutgirl

Quote from: Pearly-Dewdrops Drops on May 17, 2021, 03:06:22 AM
I've been relistening to old episodes in honour of this thread. It really is one of the funniest things ever.

I'd like to go on record and say, political correctness aside, apart from The Office it's easily the best thing Ricky has ever done. The later ones where they're treading over old ground and repeating themselves are a mixed bag but the old XFM stuff with Karl are a showcase for Ricky thinking on his feet and improvising stuff off Karl. Some of the stuff he comes out with is great and works really well with Karl.

Ricky didn't lose touch with reality until went to Hollywood to collect a Golden Globe and all his comedy/music idols like Matt Groening and David Bowie started lining up to lick his balls. It takes a certain type of mentality to withstand that type of sycophancy and keep your feet on the ground and Gervais hasn't got that. Then he made tens of millions off the American Office and it's goodnight Vienna, there was no coming back to reality after that.

The Bumlord

I remember Karl mentioning a face transplant he'd read about and Gervais going mental with hysterical laughter. Even though Karl was, as so often, correct.

So much for Ricky and his keen scientific acumen I suppose.

Platyhelminth

Video Game Fan 2000

Ricky and Steve's reaction to the baguette/trouser-leg story makes me want to pull my face off because its so well known. The kind of thing you'd read on a wall of a railway café, which is where Karl probably saw it (around 2000ish)

The Bumlord

Oh and here's Karl's tearaway brother (the one who drove a tank to buy cigs). The Pilkers gene is strong:

https://youtu.be/ghreBL-b9ho

Now dead, apparently :(

Harpo Speaks

Did think about the 'incel' comments in this thread the other day when I was listening to one of the podcasts where Steve says that seeing so many beautiful women in Rio actually made him angry.

Hilarious section though generally.

The Ombudsman

I've re-listened to the XFM shows a lot and also the Ricky Gervais Guide To's and agree some bits haven't aged well, but on the whole I still find it very entertaining. For me Karl is the best thing in all of them and I've really enjoyed his travel works, especially Moaning of Life and Sick of It. He is a very funny person, I think made more so by the fact he isn't trying and I genuinely believe that. I remember seeing a clip, I think from Something for the weekend where a panellist is announced as a massive fan of the XFM work and Karl seems genuinely taken aback people are still listening to it and expecting him to be the same Karl as he was 20 years ago. His performance in Derek was really good I thought. Given he isn't an actor he played the part really well. Perhaps I'm in the minority here for liking Derek.

Utter Shit

Quote from: The Ombudsman on May 19, 2021, 12:30:20 PM
Perhaps I'm in the minority here for liking Derek.

That would be putting it incredibly mildly!

The Ombudsman

Quote from: Utter Shit on May 19, 2021, 12:38:01 PM
That would be putting it incredibly mildly!

Yeah. But I'll stand by it.

checkoutgirl

Quote from: The Ombudsman on May 19, 2021, 12:30:20 PM
Perhaps I'm in the minority here for liking Derek.

If you like it unironically then probably, yes. It's one of the most enjoyed shows on here ever for sheer terribleness. It's so bad it's good, which admittedly is preferable to just plain bad. This is a good opportunity to ask what you liked about it.

I remember it getting a fair few good reviews and an award nomination which I still haven't found a satisfactory explanation for.

Sebastian Cobb

My favourite Rockbusters that I managed to get was:

That garden tool isn't yours. Give it back.
Spoiler alert
Nicked Rake (Nick Drake)
[close]

checkoutgirl

The director of "28 Days Later" is shouting about sleeping outside. (DB)

Daniel Bedingfield (Dan yell, "Bed in field!"

Mobbd

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on May 11, 2021, 07:51:23 PM
Quite often at that point it seems like his brain is more elastic and open minded than Ricky and Steve.

Karl's the kind of person whose brain is more elastic than he is.

willbo

One little quirk I'm curious about is that Gervais claims to have been christened Ricky (never Richard).

Dusty Substance

Quote from: willbo on May 25, 2021, 06:02:19 PM
One little quirk I'm curious about is that Gervais claims to have been christened Ricky (never Richard).

Possibly named after Ricky Nelson, who would have been one of the biggest stars in the world in 1961.

The Bumlord

Yeah, Ricky Dene Gervais. Dene!

Canadian dad. Well I never.

Dusty Substance

Quote from: Utterdrivel on May 25, 2021, 07:06:32 PM
Yeah, Ricky Dene Gervais. Dene!

Canadian dad. Well I never.

Can't remember exactly where (perhaps on his Desert Island Discs episode) but I've heard him discuss his Canadian Dad and his "pikey" roots (his words) for the reason he's a Ricky and not a Richard. Pretty sure he said it was his Dad who mis-spelt "Dean" as "Dene" on the birth certificate.

checkoutgirl

There's these birds that lay expensive eggs on an island.